The Shed Thread

• Please log in to reply
878 replies to this topic

#26 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:48 AM

Ok shed experts.

Who has experience with building their shed first and then concreting it? Apparently the iron rusts due to contact with the slab. Have heard you can two pack the iron before cementng to stop this but would like to hear from people who have done this, or not done it and had rust problems later on.

My preference is to do the slab last so l can put bollards around the perimeter of the shed and in the openings, its much easier to do this accurately once the shed is erected

Cheers Mondie

I have two like that the latest only last week. Not sure about the rust on the bottoms of the sheets, if it does it would take years. Pouring in the concrete after the shed is erected, I believe adds more re-inforcement to the frame footings.

#27 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

Apparently the iron rusts due to contact with the slab. Have heard you can two pack the iron before cementng to stop this but would like to hear from people who have done this, or not done it and had rust problems later on.

If you that worried bout rust them rust proof it with either cold gal or black tar (the paint on stuff like they use in cars and water tanks) up to the point where the concrete will make contact.

#28 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:15 PM

I heard the same thing about the iron rusting away after some time. May take years but I didn't want to risk it so I ran some of that damp course plastic strip that is used under brick walls all the way around the bottom. About 300 wide so it was more than enough to cover the 100mm thick slab. It work rather well, it sat in place by pushing it onto the ends of the tek screws that were poking through the lower girt.

#29 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:42 AM

A9X - Who needs a house when you've got a shed that big!! I'm jealous! Mine consists of a double garage and the equivalent out the back of my house too... Room for 3 Torries in total, but only 1 resides there (out of 2 total torries)...

Keith

#30 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:15 AM

I heard the same thing about the iron rusting away after some time. May take years but I didn't want to risk it so I ran some of that damp course plastic strip that is used under brick walls all the way around the bottom. About 300 wide so it was more than enough to cover the 100mm thick slab. It work rather well, it sat in place by pushing it onto the ends of the tek screws that were poking through the lower girt.

Thats a good idea, l had thought about using black plastic but this sounds as though it would work better, if its cut evenly to the right thickness and not as stiff it should mould well to the iron profile. This combined with the Black Tar ALX76 suggests would ensure no problems.

Cheers Simon

#31 _MY-V6-OK_

_MY-V6-OK_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

Heres my shed 1 & 1/2 car with work area on the side

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

First good day we have had in weeks and I finally got to remove the shed and even managed to get it about half way up today. Hopefully we might get it finised tomorrow...

#33 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hmm still working, roof is on, maybe tomorrow the roller doors will be done and then it's finished

#34 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

YAY!!! It's done. Thanks to LXM21 for helping today with the doors. I Might put up a few pics at a later date.

#35 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:45 PM

Here are a few pics
before we pulled it down
Posted Image
pulling it down
Posted Image
and re-assembled slab painted ready to go, just needs some power
Posted Image

#36 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

Not far from doing my own shed and Ive worked out the size and specs. Just need to find a house that will accomodate it now.

As I will be building from new, how hard would it be to put a pit in? My uncle has a great set up where by he drives the car over the pit and has heaps of room to work on the underside. Has anyone else done this and knows of any pit falls (hahaha.... lame)?

#37 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

couldnt be too hard to put in a pit, could even lock the kids in it (if you have any) when they are being pains, just drive the car over the top and go out for some tea.

brings back memories of silence of the lambs- "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again"

haha. good movie.

now back to the point- it would most likely depend on your soil type, if it was hard clay then it would be ideal as the excavator could just dig it when they come to level for the slab. then simply some steel reinforcement, and concrete it in.

if it was a sandy base then it would be much harder to excavate in the first place.

on that note we now have "remote control" bobcats and excavators in our bobcat division... :huh: they are pretty cool, designed for the armed forces. sweet hey!!

#38 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:00 PM

BigT do yourself a favor, build higher and install a hoist.

#39 _Barman_

_Barman_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

Ive just sold this place and moving so this is my "old" shed new pic soon.
Ive seen a number of car go through this shed including Faclcon hardtop, Mustang,Monaro, Gemini, Datsuns,and Toyotas, and all i can say is that you can neva have a big enough shed ....
Posted Image

#40 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:34 PM

ALX76 - I did a bit of research today on pits and hoists and the general consensus it that a hoist is the way to go. Seems I can pick one up new, 240v (phase 1) for around 3k. So if I do end up building the shed its definately on the options list. Saw a house today with a reasonable shed but not ideal for a hoist. Buying a house is a pain in the arse !!!

#41 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:46 AM

ALX76 - I did a bit of research today on pits and hoists and the general consensus it that a hoist is the way to go. Seems I can pick one up new, 240v (phase 1) for around 3k. So if I do end up building the shed its definately on the options list. Saw a house today with a reasonable shed but not ideal for a hoist. Buying a house is a pain in the arse !!!

What? It's a time of fun and low stress. NOT

#42 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

Buy the house, build the shed, works out easier as you can put in what you want. thats what we did. now looking at a two storey shed to replace the single sotry one we have, mum isnt happy, she'd rather a second storey on the house. but oh well!

#43 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

I've got plans for a 7 metre wide by 14 metre deep shed, hello!

Now, i just got to get some funds to get plans through council.

#44 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:22 PM

now this is a shed of dreams

Posted Image

#45 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

My new one is 15m x 9m....I stood in it yesterday and thought...The bastard isnt big enough!
R

#46 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

now this is a shed of dreams

Posted Image

SHIT yeah!!! is thats yours RED? thats bloody fantastic! :clap:

#47 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:57 PM

^^^^^ Geez Red, you must get sick of sweeping those pebbles out of your shed mate! Just kidding, you lucky bastard! Are all 3 of those cars yours?

#48 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:58 PM

This is my second home. According to my wife, it may as well be my first home. I have the wood fire, bench, fridge, TV, DVD and stereo. I love my shed.
Posted Image

#49 _RpM_

_RpM_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:04 AM

Hey guys, it's been a long time since i've posted on these forums. I've been off doing other bits and pieces... Jumped on here to check out what everyone's upto, spotted this thread and just couldn't resist :D

I love my "car-hole"

These two were taken when I had my torana in the project stages:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And then I swapped from a Torana/Commodore fan, to a Commodore/Torana fan...
Posted Image

Some great sheds in this thread... absolutely love spending hours and hours down in my spot tinkering away on bits and pieces...

#50 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:19 PM

it's not my shed thats a mates, just my car in the middle, my shed is further back in the thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users