Difference between LC and LJ

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 _Shaune_

_Shaune_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Guys,

this may of been discussed before - applogies if it has. Ive been trying to think of all the differences between LC and LJ bodies and fittings (running gear is well documented.). Some are obvious indicators are things like Lights, grill ect. Can you help me detail them?

This is what I have come up with.

Tail Lights, Head light surrounds, grill and badges, Front Guards, indicator lenses, Rear quarter indicators, stone tray, Radiator support for stone tray, Cross member brake line mounting, dash panel, 73 Lj extra reinforcing, lower dash panel, ignition, dash pad, mirrors, wheel caps, interor trim ect.

#2 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

Double skinned gearbox hull... Reinforced front bumper bracket, Extra plate on front bumper chassis rail.. Bulkhead to front A-arm support to outer sill.. the metal dash has a radio hole. Better drain holes in LJ chassis rails.
Front seats have no headrest in LC.. Rear set belt mounts in place.. Wider rims.. Different seat belt buckle logo. Maybee lockable fuel cap? Internal bonnet opening knob. LC manual open.. Cnt think right now.. Maybee more?
Mike

Edited by mikecatts, 14 December 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Not just dash has radio hole, dash is completely different. LJ has four mounting screws for the crash pad, LC has a million. And the lower dash is different. Steering colom is different. LJ has steering colom mounted ignition switch LC is in lower dash panel.

#4 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

shaune, it will depend on what year and are you talking xu1s or just lc-lj standard cars as well, you will need to name the year most of all.

cheers gong

#5 _Shaune_

_Shaune_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

Yeah Right. Thanks Guys. appreciated

I was mainly interested in body identifiers - I recently looked at a GTR car being sold as an LJ, but had clearly started life as an LC. Was just wanting check what to look for in this case.

I have a reasonable idea of XU1 Identifiers, So I was keen on just overall body difference.

Thanks

Edited by Shaune, 17 December 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#6 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

How are the front guards different? Am I missing something?

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

How are the front guards different? Am I missing something?

The nose of the LC and LJ 6cyl guards have different pressings to suit the different headlight bezels.

#8 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

Oh yeah, of course. Thanks :-)

#9 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

Double skinned gearbox hull... Reinforced front bumper bracket, Extra plate on front bumper chassis rail.. Bulkhead to front A-arm support to outer sill.. the metal dash has a radio hole. Better drain holes in LJ chassis rails.
Front seats have no headrest in LC.. Rear set belt mounts in place.. Wider rims.. Different seat belt buckle logo. Maybee lockable fuel cap? Internal bonnet opening knob. LC manual open.. Cnt think right now.. Maybee more?
Mike

A lot of wrong info in there !!

The chassis rail & bumper changes were changed at late LJ (chassis prefix BLJ), not between LC & LJ.

As somebody else has mentioned, it's not just the radio hole, it is the entire dash that is changed.

Headrests, correct, however some very late LC did get them.

Rear seat belts were a mid-LC change.

Wider rims, NO !! S & SL got 4.5-inch & GTRs got 5.5-inch in both LC & LJ.

Seat belt buckle & logo was different between assembly plants, not model series.

Lockable fuel cap was only an accessory for both never a standard fitting on any model.

Internal bonnet release NO !!. Again this was a dealer-fitted accessory in both model series.

Dr Terry

#10 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

Yeah Right. Thanks Guys. appreciated

I was mainly interested in body identifiers - I recently looked at a GTR car being sold as an LJ, but had clearly started life as an LC. Was just wanting check what to look for in this case.

I have a reasonable idea of XU1 Identifiers, So I was keen on just overall body difference.

Thanks

The one unique item fitted to an LC GTR body was the extra linkage bracket welded to the firewall for the WW Stromberg carby.

Dr Terry

#11 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hi All, great thread,
Did all LC GTR's have the radio antenna above the front windscreen and did any LC / LJ models have a brake line go up the rear wheel arch and back down? Dave I

#12 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hi All, great thread,
Did all LC GTR's have the radio antenna above the front windscreen and did any LC / LJ models have a brake line go up the rear wheel arch and back down? Dave I

Sorry I cannot edit my last post as there is no edit button,
Just saying about the rear brake line goes up the shocks side of the Tire in the wheel arch and back down say 38mm apart.

#13 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

No Holden of that era had a roof aerial. The exceptions are the recent cars (Astra, Zafira, VE etc.) with the rear type roof aerials.

It was a common aftermarket thing in the 70s & 80s though.

Dr Terry

#14 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

No Holden of that era had a roof aerial. The exceptions are the recent cars (Astra, Zafira, VE etc.) with the rear type roof aerials.

It was a common aftermarket thing in the 70s & 80s though.

Dr Terry

Thank-you Dr Terry,
it was just that I had a Lc Gtr with the antenna and there is a Lc Gtr on Gumtree with one as well - I just clicked. Dave I
Posted Image
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mindarie/cars-vans-utes/1970-holden-torana-coupe/1010818541

#15 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Just saying about the rear brake line goes up the shocks side of the Tire in the wheel arch and back down say 38mm apart.

^^^ Doesn't sound original. The rear brake line runs along the tailshaft facing side of the left chassis rail, then changes to a rubber hose to go to the junction block mounted to the diff housing, from the junction block the brake lines run along the diff housing axle tubes, then they offset up to the wheel cylinders.

#16 Bullet

Bullet

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:LC 2 Door S

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

The nose of the LC and LJ 6cyl guards have different pressings to suit the different headlight bezels.

Does this mean I can't cut off the dividers from my LJ front & fit a LC grill???

#17 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Does this mean I can't cut off the dividers from my LJ front & fit a LC grill???

Not at all, once the divider panels have been removed the LJ nose panel is effectively the same as an LC. It's the recess pressings in the outer face at the nose of the guards for the headlight bezels that are different between LC and LJ.

#18 Bullet

Bullet

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:LC 2 Door S

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I think I know what you meen S pack, the chrome pieces on the out side of the headlights that wrape around the front of the guard???

The reason I'm keen to know is I've just bought a LC 2 door and the previous owner has fitted a LJ front, which I want to change back to LC.
Any info would be great.

Cheers Bullet

#19 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

I think the bonnet latch plate and upright support are also different .

#20 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Bonnet latch plate and upright support are the same.

#21 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

The up right support on a lc is thinner,lj is thicker.

#22 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

The up right support on a lc is thinner,lj is thicker.

Ahhh, ok, I stand corrected.
Thanks John

Cheers
Dave.

#23 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

the lc/lj bonnet latch support bracket is diffrent Posted Image that one is for a lj, you need the lc one of these that dont have the ridge and is just flat, you will also need to have the lc filler panel where the grill screws on at the bottom has they are diffrent toPosted Image

cheers gong

#24 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

the lc/lj bonnet latch support bracket is diffrent Posted Image that one is for a lj, you need the lc one of these that dont have the ridge and is just flat, you will also need to have the lc filler panel where the grill screws on at the bottom has they are diffrent toPosted Image

cheers gong

What is the difference.. I have an LJ one and it seems not to fit too good.. My LC one is bent.. How do I fit my LJ filler panel to my LC????

#25 _LC870_

_LC870_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Bonnet latch plate and upright support are the same.

The bonnet catch and support are not the same on LC - LJ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users