- - - - -

Rebuilding a 'Red One'. LX SL/R 5000

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hi guys, I was very fortunate to pick up my dream car locally a couple of months ago and am going to do a rebuild back to pretty stock specs.
I joined the site soon after picking it up and have had a pretty good read to the point of being a bit shhite scared of posting what I'll do as all of your work is awesome and I just hope I can achieve what will be expected of me. I'll do my best and if I get out of line please reel me in.
This is my second SL/R, the first being an L32 I got when I was 20 or so for the pricely sum of $4500 off my baseball coach. I rebuilt the front end with Nolathene bushes and built a 308 for it with a few nice bits including Chevy flat top pistons and mild cam and high volume oil pump. (right out there ay??) Well anyway, I loved it but I wanted to go travelling with mates and my Dad would not store it in his shed for me so I had to let it go. Man, I sold it for less than I brought it for!!!!!!! That was 22 years ago so I have almost forgiven myself.

Now I have this matching numbers, original running gear LX SL/R 5000 so I am on the mend.
It will need a full rebuild, it will be a slow process (I have no shed at the moment) and I will be moving down south within a year. I am doing exploratory work on it at the moment checking for rust and buggered bits. It has got rust issues as you will see but from what I have seen from tidying up the boot area and stripping out the interior and doing some work in there I have seen worse. Still, I havn't removed any panels yet so who know right now what I will find! I have been buying bits already including a new roof, doors, 13" steel rims, hubcaps, rubber bush set for the front end, rubber door seals etc full kit and will soon get a new front spoiler to suit an un-flared front. Yep, after a bit of discussion here in the intro thread I have decided to remove the dealer fitted flares and go factory delivered. The guards are all there and I will not cut them. Flares are for filling out with wide tyres seems to be the consensus here so I will go with that and run standard, or close to tyres.
Dont want to bore you so I'll just post a couple of pics. I have been and will be asking lots of questions so bare with me.

Pictures of pre-purchase inspection.

Attached Files

#2 _Growler_

_Growler_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Mate good on you ay bringing it back to origional. Looking forward to the build.Look out Hanra ay

#3 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

This is the same colour as my LH  SLR 5000.......is it a rare or popular colour ...I have been told i would be mad to change the colour

Good luck with the rebulid

#4 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

It's not a rare colour, but it's a popular one... In my opinion, you'd be mad to change the colour of ANY SL/R...

Looking forward to seeing the rebuild on this one, that rust in the roof looks nasty!

#5 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Well done for getting another one and I'm glad your doing it as standard.

She's shore has got some rust issues- its even in the glove box lid! :)  

#6 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

Shame your so far away, have a pefect UC roof that would fix that.

#7 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Shame your so far away, have a pefect UC roof that would fix that.

Thanks for the offer but I already have one, cut 3/4 of the way down the pillars.
Cheers guys, the pictures will improve and I have done a bit more. I'm having a go at removing the bobtail off the boot at the moment ,,, last bloody nut is rounded and deep in the guts so being a real bugger to get of.
Brad

#8 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

So I was driving the Torrie around a bit for a few weeks, taking my daughter for local trips around our area and down to the park and stuff. Then a knock in the front end ended that when I discovered that the nolathane bushes had disintegrated. I gave myself a red sticker and took it off the road. Bugger. I have done bits and pieces to the Torrie since then but just having a play really. I am in my carport so can not strip it down as my wife would divorce me and then come kill me in my sleep if I made the place look too untidy. So anything I do is tidied up at the end of the session. I cant wait to have it in my (smallish) shed down south and rip it apart. I do like taking pictures of everything so will post a lot of my small gains and show you what a N/W Aussie car looks like after being up here for the most of it's life and seeing a lot of dirt roads by the looks.

I can see now that the car has had a re-spray, had all the bushed done at some stage, had central locking installed (still works) with an immobiliser and alarm, had a windscreen replaced, and new carpet fitted. The drivers side door hinges are a lovely shade of yellow so they are new too. (a bit obvious)

Anyway, Im having fun.

Attached Files

#9 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

Some of the boot area. Not too bad actually.

Attached Files

#10 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Interior out and a big sigh of relief with it's great condition except for near the accelerator peddle. It all cleaned up real nice.

Attached Files

#11 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

This would be a factory/build number textered on the floor I think.
I was real happy with the battery tray condition.
I had to remove the boot lid to get the last of the Bobtail nuts undone,,, I mean snapped. Only one came out without a fight. The spoiler is cracked and I thought this is one thing I can have a go at fixing while here. Now I will need to replace all of the studs. No worries,, I have done a bit of glass work before. Now this spoiler is plastic I hope it takes to glass resin OK. Should do.

Attached Files

#12 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Forgot my fav picture.

Attached Files

#13 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

The floor looks really good im suprised after seeing the roof pics.

Good luck with the build. Ill be watching this

#14 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

The spoiler is cracked and I thought this is one thing I can have a go at fixing while here. Now I will need to replace all of the studs. No worries,, I have done a bit of glass work before. Now this spoiler is plastic I hope it takes to glass resin OK. Should do.

Ahh well at least you can be happy in the knowledge that its a genuine one, as they were originally made out of plastic and often crack around the bootlock area. I dunno about fibreglassing it? maybe have it plasti welded as they do with bumper bars if ya want a good repair. GL with the rest of the build!

#15 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Name:Reverse of username
  • Car:1976 LX L32 SL/R

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Great project, but damn... needs some work! Nice story to go with it. A lot like my own... trying to make up for mistakes made in younger years :D Good luck with it! Do it proud!

#16 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

*suscribed*

#17 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Looking forward to watching this one :-)

#18 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

We have seen many sets of flares go on the Torries here so how about a set that came off!!

I actually got some time after work today to get into the (errrr) carport to have a play. Damn I wish I had a shed!!! :furious:

Off came the bumper with no problems, then up onto the axle stands and front spoiler and flares followed. All good but I did discover that the spoiler and flares are fibreglass. Does this make them non-genuine?

I'm not too fussed if they are not as I wont be reusing them on the car, It just adds to the story of the history of the car I don't know about. Talking of such, I was talking to my mate I brought it off and he was telling me a few things of when he and his old man owned it. Very interesting.

Next will be removing the guards and some rust repairs with a mig I am borrowing off another work mate. I am looking at getting a welder like this and get to try before I buy. Hope link works.

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_2478wt_1163

So, a couple of pictures.

Do you think my bottom front radiator support might have some issues?????

Brad

Attached Files

#19 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:35 PM

Did it come with flares from the factory? As the guards arnt cut so may have been put on after purchase

Just read first post regarding flares sorry haha are the rear guards cut?

Edited by hawk, 09 April 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#20 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

SL/R 5000 shouldn't have flares anyway, just the front and rear spoilers

#21 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

Front air dam, rear bobtail are plastic from factory.

#22 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Apparently they were dealer fitted flares and no the rears are not cut Hawk. If they had been I would stick with the flares and big boots.

I will be getting a front spoiler off this mob when the time is right. One to suit unflared is the same price and $90 odd to get it sent.

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_2485wt_1163

#23 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

The front spoiler and rear bobtail were the only plastic body parts used for the SL/R 5000. I'm pretty sure that the L34/A9X flare kits were all fibreglass and were not factory fitment for the standard SL/R 5000/SS models. I'd say your flares were dealer fitted not factory fitted.

Edited by AD_75, 10 April 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#24 _MattAUS1997_

_MattAUS1997_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Looking forward to watching this come together, good luck with the build :)

#25 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Thanks guys and yes AD_75 I have always maintained that the flares were factory fitted, I just thought they might have been plastic as well as the front and rear spoilers so this is why I said "apparently factory fitted"

Anyway no worries. They are all off now after I got a bit more work done over the week end. (a bit) What I found was what looks like a previous repair over the passenger side rear guard. Looks like a bit of bog. The other side is very reasonable but will still need work. I am planning to use paint stripper around the 'old 'flare bolt holes so I dont go removing any metal and filling them up will probably be the first real work I do to bring it back to stock.

It looks like a couple of different blokes were fitting the flares as some of the holes line up perfectly and others are 'slotted a bit so got the good and the rough! Just love the look of unflared!!!!

Got the front nose cone off as well and yep,, the rad support is toast. Well the lower front section anyway. The rest seems OK. I'll get hold of one of these new built ones and get it on. Anyone done this job? Did it fit up OK? I think I saw one getting done on a build,, I'll have another look. There is one rust hole in the nose cone but it too is in pretty good condition. 

I had a mate up from Perth staying over so this is all I got done. Steady steady.

Lower Radiator support.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users