Racewars 12-13th April 2014 Wyalkatchem Airstrip

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

The 2nd Racewars is on from the 12-13th April 2014 at the Wyalkatchem Airstrip (2hrs from Perth)

Be interesting to see the lessons learnt from last year. We might even get to see 190+mph over the standing km

http://racewars.com.au/.

#2 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Wow,

I looked at a place there 17 years ago, 3 bedroom House, 1/3 acre for $14,000, never knew they had an Airstrip, sounds good. Dave I

Title is fantastic

Just Checked the Website - Amazing, Planes racing Super-cars down the Strip

Edited by TORYPOWER, 28 March 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#3 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:18 AM

Have always wanted to do Lake Gardiner or Bonneville but its just always seems to work out to be too hard or bad timing. ( LG speed week 2014 was just on).

Something about sheer speed that stirs the juices and is just very bloody addictive. Flat spins or blow-outs at 200mph+ does require spare undies to be readily available.

Edited by LXSS350, 28 March 2014 - 03:27 AM.

#4 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:38 AM

I didn't know it was on last year, but it looked like a decent turnout for first time event. 

Will see what its like on the Sunday.

8657910960_63e81dca9e_b.jpg

Some good photos of last year:

http://www.gmh-toran...67167-racewars/

Wonder if this guy will be back.  (Eddy Tassone)

Same car different crash  (Eddy Tassone)

Edited by LXSS350, 28 March 2014 - 04:40 AM.

#5 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

Wow, that flat spin must have widened the eyes somewhat!!

#6 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Or turned you into a contortionist as you where attempting to kiss your ass goodbye.

#7 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Car:LH SLR5000

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

Eddy will be back, has re-shelled the car again, mate was the skyline racing him when he spun and rolled, when they got to the car both guys were in a ball on the roof ...out of the harnesses and helmets had come off ! He was pretty shaken up for the rest of the day after being involved/seeing in that.

Will be back this year to throw the cat among the pigeons, have a bit more power on Methanol (685hp,764Nm) so might be up the pointy end ... be interesting to see if some big hitters can pull of a good pass and crack 300.

Torana might be ready for next year, thats if i`m game to wind a LH out to 300.... what do you reakon the aero is like on the old girl !?

#8 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

Best I managed was 240km/h. You really hit an aerodynamic brick wall above about 210. Over 800m I managed 235km/h, so the extra 200m didnt make a huge difference for me. You could really hear the engine working at sustained wot in top gear, but was a lot of fun. Loved the rolling drags, was surprised at how competitive the old girl was, winning more than I lost. I expected to get smoked by everything, and the 225 street tyres didnt help.

#9 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

Oh and seeing Eddy's monaro barrel rolling towards us as we drove back on the return road was very sobering. My passenger didnt go for another run after that.

#10 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

Yes not much fun getting a wheel in the dirt at 200kph, certainly tests the old heart rate out.

Good to see he is coming back.

I find the old std Torana with spoiler gets far too light and really needs some front downforce. Especially hairy once your over 250kph the old gloves come in bloody handy over hanging on to the old girl with sweaty palms. Would love to break 300kph timed in the torrie but need to sort and balance the aero, enough horsepower and the right compound tyres but not going to get 300 if its wasted on wheel spin.

Its not like its the Motoplex with traction from go.

I am stunned the 4wd cars are not blitzing 300, its all traction from a 1km standing start.

Edited by LXSS350, 28 March 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#11 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

What car were you running 355lx ? Are you running this year ?

We are heading up Friday, i`ll be the Subaru wagon with Number 2 on the side ;)

Your right there is a brick wall @~215 220, after that building speed takes a lot of horsepower.... i'm surprised how well the early 90's point and shoot jap stuff did, must have fair aero to stomp all the big $$$ Supercars(which surprised me how disappointing they were in a situation were they could stretch legs)

You would be surprised how traction off the line does not really help top end speed, chew the start of the track too quickly leaves you less distance to accelerate..... just like the drags.

Most of us awd guys were treating it like a drag race with full out launches which actually was less effective for trap than just driving off the line.... we did do some pretty respectable 19.6 sec et's however... which there was no prize for.

Edited by Oversteer, 28 March 2014 - 10:12 PM.

#12 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Oh and seeing Eddy's monaro barrel rolling towards us as we drove back on the return road was very sobering. My passenger didnt go for another run after that.

I was damos car at the time, that was enough for me and was my last run as a passenger.

#13 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

Oversteer I was there in my Aqua hatchback. Wont be running this year, going up to camp and spectate. 

You're right about the horsepower, the amount required goes up exponentially. Minimum 600hp I reckon to get a torry up into the 260-270km/h mark. TBH I just cant see a Torry making 300km/h over the standing kilometre without some serious aero (flat floor etc) changes, and something like an ex nascar or supercar engine under the hood as well as a Holinger.

Which car were you in?

#14 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:13 AM

Ahh i do remember seeing a aqua hatchback, i just couldn't`t find you in the run lists for some reason.

My SLR5000 should pack enough hp but it will be a matter of stability holding it back, what did you hatch feel like over the bumps at the end of the track at speed ?

I was is the Ruby Mica(red!)Subaru Legacy Wagon, has a bit of poke, took out 2nd outright ;) 

Roll on vid 

Edited by Oversteer, 30 March 2014 - 01:16 AM.

#15 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

Mate, that Subie has some grunt

I think the WAR has just started

#16 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Honestly the Torana felt fine over the bumps at the end there. Matt (1UZBT1) went for runs as a passenger in both my car and our good mate's 2JZ powered silvia, and he said the Torana felt more settled then the Silvia did.

Oh and BTW, that wagon of yours is a weapon, love it!

Edited by 355LX, 30 March 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#17 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

And I felt safer knowing the full cage was there, and the noise, sounded better than any chev or 2j could ever make.

#18 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

You can see the relative relationship of speed vs Hp vs aero development with speeds down Conrod. At the peak of Torana's at Bathurst the max speed on the radar that anyone got them to was 270kph with 380Hp (max Hp in 1979 out of the best race a9x's was 400 ....... if lucky). Obviously the Chase in 1987 was due to Mike Burgmanns fatal crash in the 1986 race. From my memory the XJS Jags where the first to touch 300kph down Conrod.

The new silhouette nascar like things that they race now get 300kph before braking and slowing into the chase.

#19 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

a Subaru liberty last year cracked 270kmh, its well engineered got a lot of good bits, BIG ap brakes and he struggled to stop in time at the end of runway.

me personally I don't think they take the safety aspect seriously enough when your planning on having cars running at those speeds, there is a lot more to it then chucking in a big engine and hang on, tyres, tailshafts, driveshafts, aero drag.

rod with the bronzed ozy commodore at lake gardiner used to have a 200 litre water tank in the boot for stability at speed.

#20 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

268 actually ;)

And yes the braking area is rather tight when your traveling @ 75m a sec, this year i have "race only" pads installed so it will pull up better..... but there isn't a lot of room for error and if your going to hit 280+ you need super car brakes to pull  up, sleep for sec across the line and the braking area gets smaller quick... then there is a small sand trap,  fence on a bank and a dam !

I have pointed out to the organisers that a little more run-off would be nice, but regard-less i'm game to run it hard....i think most people who have enough power to smoke the K at whylie needed to have brass balls ,,,,all good, makes you feel alive !

#21 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

You only have to look at Bathurst to see what can happen at this sort of speed down Conrod. Many cars have gone straight across the chase at high speed. Going straight in a flying km makes it easier than the chase changing directions situation, but some sand traps imo are not super efficient at this sort of speed. Take a look at the design and materials with the arresta bed on greenmount after the out of control truck deaths. I remember quite a few at Ravenswood going off the end of the track after chute failures. No one wants to see anyone get hurt and any car capable of 300kph should have top quality brakes and just as important for braking top quality tyres. Running on Salt presents a whole different set of issues. Regardless running at these sorts of speeds is not as easy as one would think but its an interesting challenge. Safety should always be a priority as I can see no fun times in death.

Edited by LXSS350, 02 April 2014 - 01:27 AM.

#22 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:20 AM

I hear what your saying, and in-fact i was the first to officially bring the subject up and then debate it at length and cop a fair amount of shit for it, but in the end insurance has let the event run, 95% of people aren't going to go fast enough to have too much of an issue and half of the rest that could i suspect knew what was good for them and bailed on a full km pass. There is always going to be danger in motor sport... un fortunately if the air strip in whylie got deemed un-suitable the event would have no where to go...and not go ahead, i don't want that.

I think this year the returning big hp guys will have a new respect for braking to go with the 4 digit hp, something that is never up to scratch in drag racing because of the dependence on chutes, there will be some very quick times if everyone gets everything to come together on the day.

#23 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

I am 200% for good safety but I am also a realist with safety in Motorsport .... circumstances can just conspire to create one off situations regardless of the safety regulations, the skill of the driver or the quality of the car. My god Peter Brock was not exactly an amateur wheel man and Senna had a lot of race miles under his belt. 

Edited by LXSS350, 02 April 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#24 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

Smash em Oversteer - cant wait for some vid this year.

#25 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

well done on the speed oversteer good job. :driving:

im all for the events, you don't want to see any one get hurt, only takes one stupid act to give the goodie too shoes out there an excuse to shit can events.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users