#151 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:12 AM

I agree with you, and if that was the case thats understandable, but this case was different to what you described.

Sometimes people have their own agendas to put down other peoples vehicles....

Sometimes it isn't practical to travel thousands of K's to inspect a car that one is not in the market to purchase. Sellers put up photos of various parts of their cars and often those photos speak a thousand words, if you know what to look for.

If upon receipt of negative news they are going to go into a state of denial then they probably shouldn't ask all and sundry if the item in question is legit or a fake in the first instance.

Not our fault if people can't handle the truth about their claimed factory original this and that.

Dan, I'm not aware of that, what was the post exactly

From memory the last one was a re-shelled hatchback that was ok'd to be advertised

Anyway, this thread is good because we got to see Tiny and tinkers post again, they are still alive!

#152 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

im emailing them now about an "L-34"

#153 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

Are you missing us, Dan?

I'm still around but might read from mine or my son's login depends on who was last logged in or via the email notifications :)

#154 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:00 PM

which one? who?

im emailing them now about an "L-34"

#155 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:22 PM

Was the original news story regarding the Vic scam removed?

If so, why?

It's in the public domain.  Why shouldn't it be posted on a dedicated Torana forum?

So if we see someone blatently doing dodgey stuff we aren't allowed to name them without fear of being banned? Seriously RED?:

It's no wonder thiese practises have been allowed to flourish in the past. Question is ......... are we all going to allow them to continue, Admin protected or not?

If anyone sees a suspect vehilcle for sale we should be able to post the ad & discuss it on the forums! The alternastive is to sit on your hands & watch yet another prospective Torana owner get burnt.

#156 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:36 PM

The original story is locked pending investigation/information,hence this thread surrounding the circumstances.

The starting story is still here.

http://www.gmh-toran...s-in-melbourne/

#157 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hey Datto,
Would you mind opening that thread eunuch linked.
I have some new information, having spoke with one of the supposed persons involved last night.... Might be a better place to continue the conversation instead of this thread ?

It's still locked Skap. http://www.gmh-toran...lbourne/page-16

Might have to open another thread?

#158 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

If you are suggesting here the admin is protecting these people, think again. I will re-enforce this is a police matter and people are under investigation. The media hasn't named names yet, when they do we can't control that and it will be open slather. Until then, be warned as I have been tonight, do not mention names here.

Was the original news story regarding the Vic scam removed?

If so, why?

It's in the public domain.  Why shouldn't it be posted on a dedicated Torana forum?

So if we see someone blatently doing dodgey stuff we aren't allowed to name them without fear of being banned? Seriously RED?:

It's no wonder thiese practises have been allowed to flourish in the past. Question is ......... are we all going to allow them to continue, Admin protected or not?

If anyone sees a suspect vehilcle for sale we should be able to post the ad & discuss it on the forums! The alternastive is to sit on your hands & watch yet another prospective Torana owner get burnt.

#159 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:39 PM

Heard some cars have been confiscated but no charges laid yet

#160 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:54 PM

Yeah cmon Neil open it up we all want to hear this

#161 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:08 AM

The original thread is opened up

#162 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:43 AM

People, this is an ongoing police investigation, no one is to be named. A few of us know who is involved, a few have put two and two together i am sure. A warning to anyone who names someone, you will be banned from the site no questions asked, you have been warned.

Yes, time to wind it back a bit

Red, i am referring to this comment, not this case.

In the past there have been lengthy discussions of vehicles posted on social media & various car sales sites regarding authenticity. (from the tag pics posted in the ad).

What i am asking is ............ are we no longer able to put these types of posts up IF the sellers name is in the post?

#163 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

That's totally different when someone is selling something thy are putting themselves out there, this case is different. As I said on a few occasions anyone mentioning names in this case would be banned from the site, and as a result one is gone.

#164 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:59 AM

Even if you get permission from the people that are involved Red

#165 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

I don't think I could have been clearer, name names, banned, simple. This is bigger than the forum.

#166 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:33 AM

To members of the GMH-Torana-Forum.

The Victoria Police Vehicle Crime Squad ( VCS ) has been investigating the alleged organised theft, re-birthing and cloning of 1970’s muscle cars for some time.

How about this miss.munro guy?

Selling/sold big dollar tags on ebay; they are clearly not for display purposes.

http://www.ebay.com....=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com....=item27f957dd87

http://www.ebay.com....=item27f9582068

VIN tags are a prohibited item on ebay yet ebay allow him to sell; perhaps you should crack down on ebay too.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 20 February 2015 - 06:35 AM.

#167 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

I have sent messages to miss.munro and ebay to explain it is illegal, with no response at all.

#168 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

Wouldn't hold my breath on any response from either party, as the fees get deducted automatically so you won't hear boo from them, And dodgy sellers are listing these daily/weekly... Fully agree that VCS should investigate fleBay as they blatantly don't give a toss......

#169 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

If you found the tags for your own car for sale you'd have to be tempted to buy them. But I guess proving that they belonged to your car would be very difficult.
There's so many cars missing tags that there must be lots of them out there.

You'd think that the police would check the numbers of tags for sale and the history of the car they belonged to ie stolen or written off and how they came to be in the seller's possession, maybe they already do this.

But what happens if your car was missing the tags because it had been stolen in the past and then you found the tags for sale and refitted them, then went to get it registered, would this cause problems at the RTA and get yourself in trouble?

#170 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:24 PM

what happens if your car was missing the tags because it had been stolen in the past and then you found the tags for sale

They shouldn't be for sale in the first place; tags are illegal to posses, let alone sell.

post-257-0-70779800-1423574582.jpg

s

#171 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:43 PM

If you found the tags for your own car for sale you'd have to be tempted to buy them. But I guess proving that they belonged to your car would be very difficult.
There's so many cars missing tags that there must be lots of them out there.
You'd think that the police would check the numbers of tags for sale and the history of the car they belonged to ie stolen or written off and how they came to be in the seller's possession, maybe they already do this.
But what happens if your car was missing the tags because it had been stolen in the past and then you found the tags for sale and refitted them, then went to get it registered, would this cause problems at the RTA and get yourself in trouble?

I would buy mine if the price was right.
It's a fairly unlikely scenario.

#172 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

I don't believe I have anything dodgy to do with my car, as it was brought off a family member & it's only a SL model(I know it's pretty rare...) this is just a general inquiry...

if someone was to find out that they have in fact not been sold what they believed they were buying through this process, what's the incentive to put their hand up especially if they've just shelled out a few months pay on their dream car? Is there some sort of process that helps the genuine victims not only keep their car, the original owner get looked after & it prosecutes the theiving mongrels that re-birthed it? I understand it would be hard to prove but I can't see old mate who brought a dodgy car by no means of his own accord nominating his car to be impounded & given back to the rightful owner after he's spent a few fist fills of hard earned & walk away with nothing. They are more likely to either:

a: destroy the tags & buy yet another set to make it more "legal" to them or

b: just stick their heads in the sand & wait until the next bloke buys it & then has to deal with it.

Cheers, Nig

I am going back a while with this quite, but this is quite valid IMO...

If a re-shelled/ re-tagged with stolen tags car is sold onto several peopl over the years (very possible), it would be really crook for the genuine latest owner to have to suffer the consequences from a previous owners dishonesty.

My belief is that if they can prove the tags do not belong to the car, and if the owner can prove that they bought the car as is, I feel the TAGS should either be returned to the original and rightful owners car (if they still exist), or held by a trust until they are claimed by the rightful owner (who would in theory need proof)...

Its a tricky one- you can just see how a car that was re-shelled 20 years ago for instance, could become a real issue for the latest owner. Kind makes me a little happy that my GTR tags were stolen and now have none hahaha... In some ways makes things simpler! lol :) I do have the paperwork however and would love for someone to find the pr*ck who stole my tags and return them to me.

Edited by LC-GTR-1969, 24 February 2015 - 04:16 PM.

#173 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

Throw the Tags away, I like that.

Kind makes me a little happy that my GTR tags were stolen and now have none hahaha... In some ways makes things simpler! lol :)

Gave you a Like Button jkirky

#174 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

What the difference. When people have a genuine car but the motor, gearbox for whatever reason is missing & they search for numbers that are close to there car & then claim it's a all matching numbered car.

People on hear are always chasing very particular parts & numbers.

Is this to scam someone down the track.

Victor

I know the original 307 engine number for one of my HK GTS's, and I recently tracked down one 12 x digits earlier (307xxx77 vs 307xxx89), most likely from another GTS built the same day. If I was dishonest I could claim it is the original engine and no-one would ever know as the first few days of GTS production these are all over the shop. But it is what it is, and I also cannot control what someone may do with it in the future either.

#175 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:73 LJ GTR, 77 LX SS 253 Manual
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

I've done the same with my mates HT Monaro, I managed to find 308Hxxx05 on eBay, where the original motor was 308Hxxx55.

Probably from a car built on the same week or so.

My friend is honest about the engine swap, and the car details (with the fact that a different engine is installed) have been sent to Ben Stewart for addition to the Monaro register.

Further down the track though a subsequent owner might not be so conscientious and a "matching numbers" car might be for sale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users