Club Rego - can anyone help

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

I have moved to Victoria about 18 months ago from SA but very sadly had to leave my LC behind. I've gotten to the point where I mis her too much and want her back. I have a possible opportunity to store it in a safe place but I am not too keen on paying for full rego as I already have a daily and only plan to drive it every second weekend or so.

It is quite modified (5L, commodore diff, chassis kit etc) but fully engineered and regoed in SA with all the details, as far as I understand it, most clubs will not award you club registration for anything other than standard, is this true? I am looking for some information and connections in this field for someone that can help me as sadly I don't really know anyone in the car scene here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Matt.

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:12 PM

Rexy is in Vic i think with a few rather heavily modified Toranas on what i believe is club rego. 

Perhaps send him a PM?

#3 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

With the current regs you need an engineers certificate like you would if you wanted full reg. From there it is the standard RWC and club rego forms etc. The difference is now you have a M plate for and heavily modified car rather than a H plate.

#4 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

contact peter koning at ASRF..

he will tell you all you need to know.

http://www.asrf.org.au/?page_id=321

#5 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

It's as simple as getting a current RWC and since yours is quite modified - an engineers report too. Tick those 2 boxes and there are plenty of clubs here that you can join who will accept you. As was previously said, with the recent changes you would be issued an 'M' plate rather than a 'H' plate.

I have absolutely no idea if interstate engineers reports are worth anything / interchangeable etc. I highly doubt it, but at a minimum it would greatly help you to get a new one in Vic if you showed it to an engineer.

#6 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

It's as simple as getting a current RWC and since yours is quite modified - an engineers report too. Tick those 2 boxes and there are plenty of clubs here that you can join who will accept you. As was previously said, with the recent changes you would be issued an 'M' plate rather than a 'H' plate.

I have absolutely no idea if interstate engineers reports are worth anything / interchangeable etc. I highly doubt it, but at a minimum it would greatly help you to get a new one in Vic if you showed it to an engineer.

Agree with what Brett has said above.

If you need clarification on anything pm me and I can put you in contact with the president of a car club which you can join and also tell you what you need to do.

#7 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful. I have contacted ASRF, seems like a very well run organisation with an aim to help people exactly like me. LHSL308 I might get those details off you as well, I'll do my research.

I was kind of hoping to avoid tthe 'M' plate, the whole look of the car is so you don't know what's been done to it. I feel like I might be more of a target for police and theft.

Nonetheless, it's better than having no torana!

Edited by tyre fryer, 02 April 2015 - 02:17 PM.

#8 _Tubo308_

_Tubo308_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

I know what you mean my lj has a injected 5ltr and looks standard I was looking at club reg too but the idea off m plates throw me off. Mines engineered and full reg and can stay that way. Throw up some pics off your car for us.
Cheers Tubo.

#9 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:57 AM

You'll find my build thread here; http://www.gmh-toran...c-4-door/page-7 start at page 7 as that's where the 5L conversion began :)

#10 _LXJET_

_LXJET_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

Hi All, can anyone recommend a car club in Victoria I can join to get my club reg? I am willing to go to events but the Torana club is forcing people to be a member for 3 months before they allow club reg to be handed out. I am not willing to wait that long before I can register my car. 

#11 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

I thought you were selling it Craig?

#12 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:24 PM

Hi All, can anyone recommend a car club in Victoria I can join to get my club reg? I am willing to go to events but the Torana club is forcing people to be a member for 3 months before they allow club reg to be handed out. I am not willing to wait that long before I can register my car. 

Join the ASRF direct and don't join a club.
Google it, and if you need help PM me

#13 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:31 PM

Melbourne Old School cruises if in Melbourne area

#14 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:39 PM

They still want lead time.
ASRF eliminates the club crap and the lead time to club permit system.

They are an option though I guess

Just as Rout 66 and Phenix are also

#15 _LXJET_

_LXJET_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

Thanks all. I will lookup ASRF. 

I considered selling but after having to jump hoops for one person who test drove it and smashed the front wheel into a gutter it put me off. 

Edited by LXJET, 04 September 2016 - 07:41 PM.

#16 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:34 PM

With every car and bike I have sold, the test drive is the final move. I make it quite clear that they are test driving then handing over the money. If they are still sitting on the fence before the test drive, no drive! The test is the final straw. My comment is always "so if it drives/rides ok then your buying it, correct?" if the answer is yes, then we drive andi take deposit. If they answer, "well, I'm really ot sure butthe drive would help" then no test drive/ride. That is, them driving anyway.
Shame you got stuffed around.
Good luck either way you go, including LS3 turbo if you go that way

#17 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:42 PM

If you need a club just let me know with a pm.

#18 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:53 PM

Hi LXJET,

2 good options for your consideration:

As already mentioned, ASRF are great if you want commitment free.

Eastside Cruisers are another one, this is a local Melbourne club (based in eastern suburbs) which I'm involved in. Lots of cool Torana owners as well as other makes and models. Awesome choice if you do actually plan to get out and about with the car with other like minded folk.

I like Eastside because they offer events like private skid-pan days, drag days, shows and cruises. They've only just started offering club reg in the last month or two. No lead time, but they want to see people attend 2 events per year, piece of piss. Just pick 2 cool events.

Full details at www.eastsidecruisers.com mate.

#19 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:13 PM

I hate rules.

IMO, anyone should be able to obtain a limited use logbook and plates (my alternative to club rego) directly from VicRoads without being a member of a club. Would save a bunch of bullshit and power tripping. Imagine making someone wait 3 months after joining to get club plates!!! Hahha. Stupid committees.

#20 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:32 PM

I hate rules.

IMO, anyone should be able to obtain a limited use logbook and plates (my alternative to club rego) directly from VicRoads without being a member of a club. Would save a bunch of bullshit and power tripping. Imagine making someone wait 3 months after joining to get club plates!!! Hahha. Stupid committees.

Agreed, I worked out on club reg I'd spend about the same as full rego anyway (like to do lots of interstate driving) so I just found it easier to go full. No need to log or worry about anything other than driving wherever and whenever I want.

#21 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:38 PM

Another point of view here. The Vicroads system uses car clubs to reduce the administration for them of the scheme, there are certain rules and undertakings in place that evolved after a lengthy period of consultation with the stakeholders. Thems the rules! I am the president of a small club in the nth east of vic with about 45 members. There is also another club in the district with about 100 members, we don't have red plate scheme , they do. If you were running a club on a voluntary unpaid basis would you expect some contribution back from members, not just all the work and angst that goes with running a club? The "other club" in our area now has a huge administrative load placed on virtually one person as a lot of "the new members" just turned up, got their plates and drove off into the distance till renewal time. Think about it . How would you like to be a slave ? If all the stake holders had not spent countless unpaid hours lobbying Vicroads, the system would have either been abolished altogether or we would still be stuck with the previous system that was close to unworkable. Clubs do not need selfish individuals like some of the previous posters, nor do they need parasites in the ranks.

Now wearing my flameproof race overalls, and going out for a drive in my new Focus RS.

Edited by caterham2, 06 September 2016 - 09:48 PM.

#22 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:42 PM

^^^ hahaha

Lol

#23 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:14 AM

Reread the posts above before ranting on about the "Club"
I have been on the committee of many clubs and put in countless hours of unpaid work for the good of the club, as many have.
That was never mentioned above. Nor did anyone force You to join said club and commit to bettering it. You did that for your own reasons!

The posts above spak of "plates and permits" not clubs

The ASRF is still the head organization that carries most of the weight, not your club.
They charge for you to be a member. But no lead time or other BS like other "Clubs"
You wanted to be financially rewarded for your dedicated time. Your members pay. What's your issue. Once the three months is up they take off until renewal. Sounds like a hassle free member to me. Better than a winging ranting one

#24 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:58 PM

Hi LXJET,

2 good options for your consideration:

As already mentioned, ASRF are great if you want commitment free.

Eastside Cruisers are another one, this is a local Melbourne club (based in eastern suburbs) which I'm involved in. Lots of cool Torana owners as well as other makes and models. Awesome choice if you do actually plan to get out and about with the car with other like minded folk.

I like Eastside because they offer events like private skid-pan days, drag days, shows and cruises. They've only just started offering club reg in the last month or two. No lead time, but they want to see people attend 2 events per year, piece of piss. Just pick 2 cool events.

Full details at www.eastsidecruisers.com mate.

Do they organise RWC or is that left up to you? I don't know much about it just overheard someone say a while back that some clubs helped with RWC, might have been just a bit of bull talk?

#25 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:49 PM

RWC is absolutely the responsibility of the individual, not the club.

Some clubs may have 'preferred' RWC centres who may make life easier perhaps (ie. not out of control fussy when inspecting potential CPS cars). I'm just guessing that would be common.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users