Buying an XU-1

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#1 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:30 PM

Which would you prefer, all other things being equal.....

A car with all 3 tags and non original engine.

OR

A car with 2 tags (let's assume for discussion purposes the ADR tag is missing) and original engine,

??

Personally, I would prefer the former....

#2 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

SL 2 door with a V8 in it cos I prefer to go fast ;)

#3 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:41 PM

Same as you Skap.

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

Same as you Skap.

Ditto

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:05 PM

4 door SL with a bitchin ass 202 in it. 

#6 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:39 PM

Ummmmm they are both XU1's   so it dose not matter really  :driving:

#7 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:59 PM

A car with all three tags.

#8 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:03 AM

I would prefer 3 tags. I think a cloud will always hang over a car missing a tag but a old car no longer having it's original engine is quite normal.

I would really prefer an S with no tags though and keep the change.

#9 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

Depends on the asking price. For the exact same condition and price i'd rather the 3 tag car with non original engine, and i'd pull the engine out and put a 308 in it.

#10 wild orchid

wild orchid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

don't forget they would rip the adr tag off all cars entering new Zealand.i always wonded if they kept them all in a box somewhere

#11 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:03 AM

don't forget they would rip the adr tag off all cars entering new Zealand.i always wonded if they kept them all in a box somewhere

Cars built for sale in NZ didn't get a compliance/ADR tag in the first place. Or do you mean used ones or dealer swaps coming over? 

#12 wild orchid

wild orchid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

used and private imports

#13 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:26 PM

Cars built for sale in NZ didn't get a compliance/ADR tag in the first place. Or do you mean used ones or dealer swaps coming over? 

Why then did the one i brought back have the ADR plate on it ?? it was a 000 export car.

check out the spot it should be on the gold car currently on trademe.... almost looks like its had rivets put in and a bunch of putty smeared across it.  there was a tag on this car I reckon at some point in time..

bear in mind that the gold car is listed as a NSW dealer and then apparently when to PNG prior to NZ, the tag was surely there from the factory.

Attached File  XU1 009.jpg   130.66K   3 downloads

Can you tell me at what point the dealer number is assigned to a vehicle? is it when the dealer orders the vehicle ?  or sells the vehicle ? or registers the vehicle ? etc... ?

Edited by Skapinad, 11 February 2016 - 12:29 PM.

#14 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:32 PM

000 export car, sold new in NZ... this is its ADR tag (my old car) :

Attached File  Tag ADR.JPG   143.09K   2 downloads

#15 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

Hi

There are many examples of 000-X cars exported with the ADR tag still attached.  It is true however that most didn't. Equally, there are cars that are still in NZ that were imported privately that have the original ADR tag in place.

Cheers

Bazza

Edited by Bazza, 11 February 2016 - 12:41 PM.

#16 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

Why then did the one i brought back have the ADR plate on it ?? it was a 000 export car.

check out the spot it should be on the gold car currently on trademe.... almost looks like its had rivets put in and a bunch of putty smeared across it.  there was a tag on this car I reckon at some point in time..

bear in mind that the gold car is listed as a NSW dealer and then apparently when to PNG prior to NZ, the tag was surely there from the factory.

attachicon.gifXU1 009.jpg

Can you tell me at what point the dealer number is assigned to a vehicle? is it when the dealer orders the vehicle ?  or sells the vehicle ? or registers the vehicle ? etc... ?

000 isn't a dealer code, it just means nothing was entered into the credited selling dealer code field, but in an old IBM system you have to have a character in each field and 0 is the default. Normally the export cars have an X in the zone office column. At some point (around 1973-ish) GMH started using 200 series codes for internal and export, but they were just about all 000 prior to that.

As Wild Orchid has said the ADR tags were removed when they entered NZ, I bet that is what has happened with this car.

The whole dealer chain was recorded in the IBM for each car, so ordering dealer, wholesaling dealer, and the credited selling dealer and maybe others. On the Service/Warranty reports it is normally the credited selling dealer that is included as that is all that mattered for warranty purposes. But this is only one example of a report. If you look at other reports printed out of the IBM, for example the A9X pre-production report run in 1983-ish that is reproduced in Eric Blair's book, it shows ordering, Wholesaling and I think predicted selling dealer (whoever ran the report in 1983 didn't update the report key/request to show actual credited selling dealer). In theory if we ever find the original data and manage to get it read by a modern IBM machine you should be able to run any report you want, including the ordering and wholesaling dealer codes for all 1960's and 1970's GMH vehicles. But I think we have more chance of winning the lottery!

Edited by yel327, 11 February 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#17 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

Hi

There are many examples of 000-X cars exported with the ADR tag still attached.  It is true however that most didn't. Equally, there are cars that are still in NZ that were imported privately that have the original ADR tag in place.

Cheers

Bazza

I've reckon those sold new there with ADR tags may well have been dealer swaps or otherwise vehicles NZ dealers have accessed out of plant stock and then the cars were shipped across to them. I don't know how many times I've had people swear they or their uncle or their cousin or whatever "ordered" their new Holden fitted with this, that and the other and picked it up two weeks later! Not possible. I'd bet these NZ cars with ADR tags are this. What has happened is the dealer looks up plant stock, finds something close to or the same as what has been asked for and gets it for the customer, adding the options themselves, like dealer fitted A/C. Most cars sold new are like this. Or the extreme case like the guy I know with a HJ Kingswood ute "ordered" by his grandfather with L31, M41, LSD, air, steer, U17 instruments and console shift. An impossible combination outside of Styling/Engineering. Once we looked closely the dealer has grabbed a 308 auto Kingswood Sandman ute out of plant stock, swapped the whole nose/guards off a yellow Kingswood ute/sedan/wagon, swapped the wheels and tyres, painted over the black sills and beaver and added dealer fitted side strips to the doors and quarters to match the guards. Voila a Kingswood ute as he wanted, picked up a few weeks later!

Edited by yel327, 11 February 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#18 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

so the ADR tag would always have been fitted regardless ?

I seem to remember a while back another discussion about an XU-1 from NZ and it did not even have holes where the tag should be.... i realise it could have been welded over at some point......

#19 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:13 PM

No. Cars actually built for sale in NZ, as in cars specifically entered into the production schedule for export would get no ADR tag. Those that were already built for sale in Australia and then exported to NZ out of GMH stock would have an ADR tag, that is how i'd explain some having an ADR tag. Remember that something like 80-90% of all GMH vehicles sold were originally entered into the schedule as stock, very few were ordered. The same happens today, try buying something out of the ordinary. When I ordered my VY SS ute in December 2002, it was pretty standard: white manual but with black leather trim. I didn't get it until May 2003 but I could have had one with normal trim within a week in most colours.

#20 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:13 PM

Just buy the frOcking thing instead of collecting numbers ya wombat.

#21 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

Just buy the frOcking thing instead of collecting numbers ya wombat.

Pmsl

#22 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

I've reckon those sold new there with ADR tags may well have been dealer swaps or otherwise vehicles NZ dealers have accessed out of plant stock and then the cars were shipped across to them. I don't know how many times I've had people swear they or their uncle or their cousin or whatever "ordered" their new Holden fitted with this, that and the other and picked it up two weeks later! Not possible. I'd bet these NZ cars with ADR tags are this. What has happened is the dealer looks up plant stock, finds something close to or the same as what has been asked for and gets it for the customer, adding the options themselves, like dealer fitted A/C. Most cars sold new are like this. Or the extreme case like the guy I know with a HJ Kingswood ute "ordered" by his grandfather with L31, M41, LSD, air, steer, U17 instruments and console shift. An impossible combination outside of Styling/Engineering. Once we looked closely the dealer has grabbed a 308 auto Kingswood Sandman ute out of plant stock, swapped the whole nose/guards off a yellow Kingswood ute/sedan/wagon, swapped the wheels and tyres, painted over the black sills and beaver and added dealer fitted side strips to the doors and quarters to match the guards. Voila a Kingswood ute as he wanted, picked up a few weeks later!

That would be Dave's one? 

#23 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

That would be Dave's one? 

That's it. Built by GMH as close to the most desirable of all Sandmans (HJ Kingswood L31 M41 etc) but sold new by the dealer as a Kingswood.

#24 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

Yeah he was telling me the story when I was over there one time before he moved. 

Wonder how many other cars like this are out there... 

#25 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

The NZ LC Torana that I know of has no adr tag but there's indentations where the holes would be drilled or punched if one was fitted. It looks like this is the way these panels were pressed when made.

I'd prefer all the tags and a non original engine myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users