model identification verification vinplate Body identification

• Please log in to reply
1951 replies to this topic

#51 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:57 AM

simon, is this a NZ new car,
if so the origional reg papers should have the all the numbers and histry of owners etc, wonder where they are
if its nz new the ADR tag was not fitted and the holes filled.
if austraila new the tag was most often removed whe the car turned up in nz
I was told there was 7 cks registed new in NZ
im no expert though.
cheers

#52 jamecs

jamecs

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Name:james
  • Car:LC

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

if so the origional reg papers should have the all the numbers and histry of owners etc, wonder where they are
im no expert though.
cheers

Hi Roger

I've just uploaded some pics onto the members cars section under 'my LC'. On the last pic, you can see behind the booster, there's the new VIN installed, but are the holes on the left-hand side of that where the original ADR tag would have gone?

Cheers

#53 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:00 AM

im no expert though.
cheers

Hi

By my count, 12 CK XU-1s were exported to NZ (5 ex Adelaide and 7 ex Brisbane). Some of these may have gone to race teams, so it is possible that only 7 were road registered.

Cheers

Bazza

#54 jamecs

jamecs

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Name:james
  • Car:LC

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:45 AM

im no expert though.
cheers

Hi

By my count, 12 CK XU-1s were exported to NZ (5 ex Adelaide and 7 ex Brisbane). Some of these may have gone to race teams, so it is possible that only 7 were road registered.

Cheers

Bazza

I always wondered why the car wasn't put on restoration file when it was being restored. Re-registration process over here is equivalent to certification and is quite stringent obviously, could be the fact it went straight to a team and stayed on the circuit for a while before being restored for the road. Chassis underneath looks like it's had a good going over in it's time.

Just found out my CK engine was sold to a guy in Invercargill. Will try and contact him through his reg details when I get them in next couple of days. Would be nice to see it again at some point!

#55 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:50 AM

im no expert though.
cheers

Hi

Cheers

Bazza

Well thats interesting.
As i say it, it was just something i was told, but by no means gospel.
You would be better informed id say Bazza

Cheers
Roger

Sorry Chaps
I spelt Simon, as James

im no expert though.
cheers

#56 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

No problems Roger, I'd be happy to have that CK car in my garage,

Regards Simon

#57 _73xu1_

_73xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

new to this so not really up to date. the other day i seen a forum where you could download micro-fisch but now i cant find it any help would be great?

#58 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

new to this so not really up to date. the other day i seen a forum where you could download micro-fisch but now i cant find it any help would be great?

Hi, can get it from here http://vins.perthstreetcars.net/files/

#59 _73xu1_

_73xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

thank you very much. i did download but did not save and cant find it. thank again

#60 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:54 PM

thank you very much. i did download but did not save and cant find it. thank again

No worries, it's very useful,

Regards Simon

#61 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

G'day,

I just need a second set of eyes to verify the following numbers please. From what I can tell the tags all indicate the car is a GTR. Once the tags are verified I will advise the owner to get a knowledgeable GTR local to look over the actual car.

The poor bloke emailed me recently and did a typo on the VIN so when I looked it up it came back as a 2 Door S. I let him know this and he asked if I could look up the engine number as well. I was about to post the VIN info here for a second opinion anyway but when I looked up the engine number on the VIN disc it showed it was from a GTR (which I knew from the JL anyway). Then I looked at the PSN for the engine and the number was almost identical to the VIN he supplied me with. After looking at a photo of the VIN I realised I had been chasing the wrong number for him. To avoid any further embarrassment I said I would get a couple of experts here to decipher the numbers. Looks the only turkey in my home this Christmas is the one typing this post.... gobble gobble gobble....

VIN
8D11LDL256669J - GTR - what does the LD signify and what does the J at the end mean?

ADR Tag
BLJ31929A LJ Torana 2 Door 10/73
This number matches the chassis stamp.

ID Plate
Model: LJ82911 - GTR
Body:92845A - what does the A at the mean? Adelaide Build?
Trim:1868-58X - not sure what this trim is.
Paint: 567-15335 - Orchid Metallica

Engine Number - JL422024 - GTR 202 block

I have cross checked this info on the VIN disc and the engine number matches the VIN, the production date matches the ADR tag and I have found the dealer number (Southern Motors - North Melbourne).

Cheers,

T

#62 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

Hi

L = Engine ie. JL prefix
D = 73/74 production year
J = J as in LJ series
A = Adelaide
58X = Doeskin and Chestnut vinyl

The important thing is that it says 76203C0 in the BETSBAC column of the VIN disc.

All the numbers line up datewise - so it all looks the goods.

Cheers

Bazza

#63 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

Once again, many thanks for your help Bazza.

Have a Merry Christmas mate,

Stay Cool,

Tony

#64 _stevo450f_

_stevo450f_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hi guys i need some help.. im looking at buying another LJ GTR the one im looking at has the VIN id plate missing only but it has the other two id plates, it was a stole/recovery car and now it has a police issue VIN number. i need some help with the Body/trim and paint code. So if anyone knows of any information about these code i would be greatful.

Model: LJ82911
Body : 277292B
Trim : 1854 50X
Paint: 568 15345

Cheers stevo.

#65 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

Hi guys i need some help.. im looking at buying another LJ GTR the one im looking at has the VIN id plate missing only but it has the other two id plates, it was a stole/recovery car and now it has a police issue VIN number. i need some help with the Body/trim and paint code. So if anyone knows of any information about these code i would be greatful.

Model: LJ82911
Body : 277292B
Trim : 1854 50X
Paint: 568 15345

Cheers stevo.

Paint code is for mustard
Trim code is black
Hope this helps you out G.

#66 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hi guys i need some help.. im looking at buying another LJ GTR the one im looking at has the VIN id plate missing only but it has the other two id plates,

Hi stevo45f

The VIN of this car would be 8D11LCH277292. It was completed in Brisbane on 16/5/73 and sold by dealer 036 (Ron Hodgson Motors - Cabramatta NSW) during 7/73. The original engine number was JL332800.

What is the Chassis Number as a check for re-body? PM me if you don't want to post it here.

Cheers

Bazza

#67 _73xu1_

_73xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:40 AM

sorry if this is the wrong thread. wondering what is the correct paint name/code for the black on a xu1?
seals are black,window surronds,around tail lights ect.

#68 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:32 AM

hi, i own a 1971 lc 2 door , trying to find out a bit of info to help with the sale , aparently the car is a logged nc racing vehical, and has genuine xu1 parts over this vehical , the engine is a 186 and was built by a man by the name of ian tate, my question is - 1 the motor number is 186A , is this a early or later mod block, 2- how do i tell if it has a 161 head on it, 3- was a short ratio m21 gearbox used in the xu1 4- it has a course spline lsd banjo , was this also used in the xu1. cheers

#69 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:34 AM

Hi

The 186A prefix indicates an early standard 186 from a HR Holden. There should be a number cast onto the head. Post all the numbers on the head and someone will be able to tell you what it is and when it was cast. A close ratio 4 speed transmission was used in the XU-1s, but internal part numbers is the most realiable method of identifying it. A course spline 1:3.36 ratio was the standard LSD up to mid '73 - then fine spline.

Cheers

Bazza

#70 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:33 AM

Hi

The 186A prefix indicates an early standard 186 from a HR Holden. There should be a number cast onto the head. Post all the numbers on the head and someone will be able to tell you what it is and when it was cast. A close ratio 4 speed transmission was used in the XU-1s, but internal part numbers is the most realiable method of identifying it. A course spline 1:3.36 ratio was the standard LSD up to mid '73 - then fine spline.

Cheers

Bazza

thanks for the reply & info bazza, the head numbers from radiator to firewall are - 2811930 holden 29G6 8 L. cheers

#71 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

Hi

Cheers

Bazza

thanks for the reply & info bazza, the head numbers from radiator to firewall are - 2811930 holden 29G6 8 L. cheers

Hi

That would be a standard 202 head produced on 19 July 1976

Cheers

Bazza

#72 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

Thanks again baz for that info, so is a 186 head the same as a 202 head, cheers

#73 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

Thanks again baz for that info, so is a 186 head the same as a 202 head, cheers

Hi

Different part number but the same as being interchangeable with correct overhead gear. Probably different in terms of compression ratio and perhaps valve sizes. Some of the more technical people can expand on this.

Cheers

Bazza

#74 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:05 PM

thanks again for that info baz , the paper work that i got with the vehical stipulates that a genuine xu1 crank is being used and a genuine xu1 camshaft , there are numbers and letters writen beside it 456" 11.59m lft ! my question now is - is this a normal camshaft , ,, how do i tell if my tripple stongburgs are 150 or 175cd . cheers

#75 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

How do I tell if my triple strombergs are 150 or 175cd . cheers

They are stamped on the top of the chambers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: model identification, verification, vinplate, Body identification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users