model identification verification vinplate Body identification

• Please log in to reply
1951 replies to this topic

#101 _wldgtr_

_wldgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:50 AM

Hi wldgtr

The VIN of that car would be 8D11LDH297878J. It was completed on 16/11/73 and sold by dealer 557 (?? NSW) during Jan '74. The original engine was JL436014.

The colour is/was Glacier White and the trim is black vinyl

The Chassis Number accords datewise with the others but be sure that the Chassis Number on the ADR tag is the same as the one stamped on the inner passenger side guard.

No - it isn't possible to have a VIN tag legally replicated.

Cheers

Bazza

Thanks Bazza,

Let me get this right the little long tag i'm missing should read 8D11LDH297878J. Question, why does it read 8D11 (shouldn't it read 82911?) Why does the model number reads 82911 M (what's the M?)

Also the Chasis number on the inner guard should match the big tag under the hood which has the build date on it. Is this correct?

I'll have to check that first but in your opinion if the chasis numbers are the same this vehicle is indeed a 1973 LJ GTR built in Brisbane.

Do you know if it's possible to get a letter of authenticity from somewhere as i know previously this could be done through Holdens customer service department but believe this is no longer possible.

If it's not to much trouble could you please send me a PM with a screen dump of the information you obtained for my own records or let me know how i'd find this information.

Thanks again, you've been a great help

Cheers

Edited by wldgtr, 16 January 2010 - 07:00 AM.

#102 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:59 AM

Hi wldgtr

I will PM you shortly

Cheers

Bazza

#103 _wldgtr_

_wldgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Hi wldgtr

I will PM you shortly

Cheers

Bazza

Got your PM. How do i PM you back.
Also Why does the model number read 82911 M (what's the M mean?) From the information i've given you
would you consider this vehicle to be a LJ GTR?

Thanks again

Edited by wldgtr, 16 January 2010 - 08:22 PM.

#104 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

Hi wldgtr

I will PM you shortly

Cheers

Bazza

Got your PM. How do i PM you back.
Also Why does the model number read 82911 M (what's the M mean?) From the information i've given you
would you consider this vehicle to be a LJ GTR?

Thanks again

Hi

Yes the tags indicate a GTR (82911) and the M stands for Manual (as is transmission). To PM me click my username at the top left of this post - the click "Send me a message".

Cheers

Bazza

#105 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:16 PM

If a copy of the fiche showing that all numbers on the vehicle are correct, then some (not all) state rego authorities may allow a new plate (not necessarily the same as original) to be made and placed on the vehicle.  At the least these particular rego bodies will allow rego with a new number stamped onto the car. 

It's worth contacting the RTA to check.  From memory they do have a process for this, as does QLD.

Grant..

#106 _jezza 26_

_jezza 26_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

Hi All
I am looking at an LC GTR and the ownwer has supplied the following numbers .

VIN 82911cl15xx4
Model LC82911
Body 1272-A
Paint 568-11429
Trim 1190-48X

All help would be greatly appreciated .
The car is in Adelaide and i live in WA so if anyone can give me some pointers as to what to ask over the phone and what are the main problem areas on a car like this .

Cheers

Jezza

#107 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

Do you have the Chassis #?
It is needed to confirm that the body matches the VIN.

Grant..

#108 _jezza 26_

_jezza 26_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

Do you have the Chassis #?
It is needed to confirm that the body matches the VIN.

Grant..

Hi Grant
Is that different to the body or model number

Cheers
Jeremy

#109 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hi Jeremy

Body Number and Chassis Number = 2 different things.

The VIN, Chassis Number and Body Number should all be "date consistent" with each other. PM me if you don't want to reveal any details on-line.

Cheers

Bazza

#110 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

Chassis number is on the passenger innerguard.

As Barry said, if you want to keep it mum, PM it to him.

Grant..

#111 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

or better still, save wasting eveyones time by posting the details of where it is for sale, the more info the better !!

http://australianmus...7-lc-gtr-torana

#112 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

Nice looking car , do you know what to look for , as far as original parts on a GTR ?

#113 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

Hi Jezza

The first thing that I would be asking is "What is the full VIN"; the second thing is, "What is the Chassis Number on the ADR tag" and the third thing; "What is the number stamped on the inner passenger side guard".

If he is forthcoming with this info, post it here or PM me.

Cheers

Bazza

#114 _jezza 26_

_jezza 26_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

or better still, save wasting eveyones time by posting the details of where it is for sale, the more info the better !!

http://australianmus...7-lc-gtr-torana

Sorry for wasting your time Skapinad . Seems you have enough time to search for the car and then post a link to it on the forum . Good on you . How is where the car is now relvant to the numbers stamped on it when it was built anyhow . You dont need to answer that if you are too busy .

#115 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:11 AM

No probs jeremy I have plenty of time. The reason it is relevant is because quite often the same car would already have been discussed on here before, so someone could simply refer you to an old thread about it.... make sense ??

Or perhaps someone on here may know of the car, and a photo will trigger their memory..

This car may be on here in the past, but until you get the full vin no. it will be difficult to search for it. It is odd that they have not listed all the numbers in the ad.

#116 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

Jezza I forgot to mention ,if you Google the vin ,or the body number ,sometimes you find a bit more about the cars history.

#117 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Don't worry Jeremy, it is understandable that many people do not want to publish where a car they are looking at is, for fear of someone snaking it out from under them.

Request all the info you need and talk to Baz.

Grant..

#118 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

Very restrained of you Ads, nicely done! And I totally agree that if one is asking for info about a publicly advertised vehicle that they should say where it is advertised. I am not that busy either :spoton:

#119 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

Don't worry Jeremy, it is understandable that many people do not want to publish where a car they are looking at is, for fear of someone snaking it out from under them.

Request all the info you need and talk to Baz.

Grant..

pffffttttt... dont let anyone know about the super secret squirrel aussiemusclecars.com.au , no more bargains for any of us !!!!!!!!!!

Nailed it on the head Zook.

#120 _jezza 26_

_jezza 26_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

Thanks to all for advise . Had the car checked out by 1 of the guys from the SA Torana Club and its a bit doggy . Id plate apears to be glued over another plate and the VIN tag is made up of three plates to make the correct number and its not even very well disgiused . There were other issues as well .
So i am still on the look out if anyone can point me the right way .

Cheers

Jezza

#121 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

Hey jeremy,

at least you had the sense to have the car checked out so thoroughly before parting with your cash.. If you have all the vin numbers etc. would you mind posting them to save some other poor bastard parting with his cash for a fraud?

You have the right idea, but dont worry about posting where it is for sale if its a well known site or publication, a lot of people search them regularly. If its a deal between you and some old bloke you met at the pub, then fair enough...

Anyway, good luck in your search man, patience is the key !

#122 _jezza 26_

_jezza 26_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

The Car is at Bennets auctions in Adelaide and on AMC . The VIN plate is 8/2911cl15(2 numbers scratched out)/4. The back slash represents a clearly visable join in the plate .

#123 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:43 AM

hi boys, my mate has bought a LH torana and was told it was a factory v8 ( 308 ) auto model , i suspect something dosent weigh up , could someone please help him out and tell me what this car is...... BUILD LH 9-75 , MOD LH-8VB69 , BODY no - 495543M , VIN - 8B69DFJ495543H , PAINT - 567 15944 , TRIM - 1412 60V , ENG - LD1 , TRANS - M40 , AXLS - GU7......... CHEERS DAVE.

#124 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

hi baz , i have a blue plastic gear at the end of cable at g/box end , there are numbers on it .....- 7430970 holden 112 , do these numbers mean anything. cheers dave

and yes a outer and a inner and a blue plastic gear at end. cheers

Hi Dave

I will PM you

Cheers

Bazza

thanks heaps bazza for that information , i landed up buying new speedo ( that 100 mph speedo i had in it was s..t ) all good now , working fine , once again thank you.

#125 _greenvc_

_greenvc_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Hi Bazza,

Seems like you're the man to talk to for verification.

This is my first post since joining today.

Just be interested to see what you've got on our car please:

8D11PCH286465J

JP374891

BLJ49454B

7/73

LJ82911
286465B
1869 50X
567 15336

In particular, would like to know what Selling Dealer you've got listed. I have the Production Broadcast that says it was built for D/C 865?

Thank you,

Regards,

Jim.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: model identification, verification, vinplate, Body identification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users