GTR and XU1 verification thread

model identification verification vinplate Body identification

• Please log in to reply
1951 replies to this topic

#76 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

the only thing i can see writen is - aud 9203 su carburators birmingham england, ( am i looking in the write spot ) cheers

#77 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:09 AM

the only thing i can see writen is - aud 9203 su carburators birmingham england, ( am i looking in the write spot ) cheers

Sounds like you have 1 1/4 Su carbs and not CD Stromberg's

#78 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

thanks again for that info baz , the paper work that i got with the vehical stipulates that a genuine xu1 crank is being used and a genuine xu1 camshaft , there are numbers and letters writen beside it 456" 11.59m lft ! my question now is - is this a normal camshaft , , . cheers

Hi

As I understand, he 186 XU-1 engine had its own crankshaft which was steel rather than cast iron, but so was the crank in the 186A. The cam grind appears to be the same as the "XJ" that was first made available for the '72 Bathurst LJs. The standard camshaft for the late 186 XU-1s and 202 XU-1s was the "the XH" which had a .429 (10.89mm) lift.

Cheers

Bazza

#79 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

sorry to be a pain , im just trying to understand whats been done to this engine , so what you are saying this camshaft appears not to be a genuine xu1. cheers

#80 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

Sounds like you have 1 1/4 Su carbs and not CD Stromberg's

cheers for the info, is there any other way to cheek so i can be sure that there not smaller or bigger.

#81 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

sorry to be a pain , im just trying to understand whats been done to this engine , so what you are saying this camshaft appears not to be a genuine xu1. cheers

Hi

It's impossible to say without physically looking at it. Sometimes people say "this engine has an XU-1 cam" when what they mean is that it has the same 'grind' or specifications as was fitted to an XU-1. The specs that you have provided suggests that what you have is the 'hotter' cam that was made available by Holden for the '72 Bathurst Specials. Some people find that this grind is not particularly 'streetable'. If it is an original Holden XJ cam - it should have an X and a J stamped on the front. You won't be able to tell whether it is an original without removing the timing cover.

Cheers

Bazza

#82 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

Hi

It's impossible to say without physically looking at it. Sometimes people say "this engine has an XU-1 cam" when what they mean is that it has the same 'grind' or specifications as was fitted to an XU-1. The specs that you have provided suggests that what you have is the 'hotter' cam that was made available by Holden for the '72 Bathurst Specials. Some people find that this grind is not particularly 'streetable'. If it is an original Holden XJ cam - it should have an X and a J stamped on the front. You won't be able to tell whether it is an original without removing the timing cover.

Cheers

Bazza

aahh now im understanding , this is why the car is a bugger to drive at low rpm , its like a chugging motion like your drunk riding a bull ! ive actuly turned the idle up to 11.5 rpm because when its on around 800 its like it wonts to stall. thanks very much for that info bazza been a big help. and all this time i thought i had carbie problems

Edited by daf67, 08 January 2010 - 12:09 PM.

#83 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

thanks again for that info baz , the paper work that i got with the vehical stipulates that a genuine xu1 crank is being used and a genuine xu1 camshaft , there are numbers and letters writen beside it 456" 11.59m lft ! my question now is - is this a normal camshaft , , . cheers

Hi

As I understand, he 186 XU-1 engine had its own crankshaft which was steel rather than cast iron, but so was the crank in the 186A. The cam grind appears to be the same as the "XJ" that was first made available for the '72 Bathurst LJs. The standard camshaft for the late 186 XU-1s and 202 XU-1s was the "the XH" which had a .429 (10.89mm) lift.

Cheers

Bazza

Since you mentioned it Bazza, did the 3100X have its own crank? I know this has been discussed a couple of years back, but I can't find it using the search function. However, the XU1 parts supplement has N.P. next to all new parts for the XU1, and the crankshaft doesn't have that N.P. next to it. I gathered that meant it was the same as the crank already being used in the 186S?

Edited by oz772, 09 January 2010 - 02:57 PM.

#84 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hi oz772

I suspect the crank was carried over from the 186S but I am sure Dr Terry will have more info.

Cheers

Bazza

#85 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Hi oz772

I suspect the crank was carried over from the 186S but I am sure Dr Terry will have more info.

Cheers

Bazza

Ta. Hopefully he will be along soon!

#86 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:32 PM

My fathers 186 4speed HK bought new ,sold to me ,them lowered dramatically , at 120,000 mile was pulled apart and had a steel crank .

#87 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:49 PM

hi guys , i have a couple of questions my be someone could help me with , 1- i have the letters j and a p stamped on my oil pump, is this a gtr product , 2- i have a gtr facia pannel and the speedo reads 100 mph , is this a gtr product from a lc or lj , 3- the car ( lc ) it does not have a speedo cable so i went and bought one to suit m20 m21 ( mine being m21 ) i fixed it to speedo then ran it out thought fire wall under the car and found it was to short approx 5 to 8 inches, took it back to the supplier and was told it definently m20 m21 speedo cable, can someone tell me whats going on. cheers

#88 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

Hi

Your oil pump would seem to be an aftermarket type made by JP Performance Products. The 100 MPH speedo is from a standard LC LJ Torana - they are often fitted when the 120 MPH is not available. Only the GTR and XU-1 had the 120 MPH type.

You shouldn't have any problems fitting the speedo cable if it is routed correctly. See picture below. I will try to measure mine tomorrow if that will help.

Cheers

Bazza

Attached Files

#89 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

Hi

Your oil pump would seem to be an aftermarket type made by JP Performance Products. The 100 MPH speedo is from a standard LC LJ Torana - they are often fitted when the 120 MPH is not available. Only the GTR and XU-1 had the 120 MPH type.

You shouldn't have any problems fitting the speedo cable if it is routed correctly. See picture below. I will try to measure mine tomorrow if that will help.

Cheers

Bazza

hi bazza , thanks 4 reply - i looked at photo and thats what i have done , i have measured mine and the cable is 38" ...., is this correct cheers dave

#90 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

Hi

It looks like you have been given the wrong cable. I have measured 38" under the bonnet alone and I reckon there is 18 to 20" inside the cab. I don't have the dash out so that is as accurate as I can get.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bazza

#91 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:02 AM

Hi
The 100 MPH speedo is from a standard LC LJ Torana - they are often fitted when the 120 MPH is not available. Only the GTR and XU-1 had the 120 MPH type.

Cheers

Bazza

I thought I read on here that an optioned sports dash(For want of a better term)on a base model got the 100mph speedo and the 120mph speedo was exclusive to the GTR and XU-1.

#92 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:31 AM

Hi
The 100 MPH speedo is from a standard LC LJ Torana - they are often fitted when the 120 MPH is not available. Only the GTR and XU-1 had the 120 MPH type.

Cheers

Bazza

I thought I read on here that an optioned sports dash(For want of a better term)on a base model got the 100mph speedo and the 120mph speedo was exclusive to the GTR and XU-1.

Hi

I may have also thought that at one stage, but the parts catalogue doesn't support the view. Speedo VS11263 is only mentioned in relation to P/N 2818891 which is the guage type insturment assembly with Imperial Units. Having said that, I understand the the earlier cluster units, as fitted to the HBs, only had a 100 MPH speedo. Perhaps daf67 can check the dates on his cluster.

Cheers

Bazza

#93 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:26 AM

Hi

It looks like you have been given the wrong cable. I have measured 38" under the bonnet alone and I reckon there is 18 to 20" inside the cab. I don't have the dash out so that is as accurate as I can get.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bazza

thank bazza , i took it back this morning and his boss gave me the right one , which is near twice a long ( didnt measure it ) i have just fitted it and havnt tacken it 4 a drive, should the 100mph speedo have the same calabration 4 the m21 oppose to its original 3 speed or auto what ever it was. cheers dave

#94 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

thank bazza , i took it back this morning and his boss gave me the right one , which is near twice a long ( didnt measure it ) i have just fitted it and havnt tacken it 4 a drive, should the 100mph speedo have the same calabration 4 the m21 oppose to its original 3 speed or auto what ever it was. cheers dave

Hi Dave

Your speedo should be correct as long as you have the right coloured drive to match your diff ratio and wheel diameter.

Cheers

Bazza

#95 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

i just took it up the street and back and the speedo isnt working , my gearbox that ive been told is supose to be a genuine m21 short ratio g/box do i need a special cable 4 this because i hooked a atachment behind speedo with the drill and it seems to be working. cheers dave

#96 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

i just took it up the street and back and the speedo isnt working , my gearbox that ive been told is supose to be a genuine m21 short ratio g/box do i need a special cable 4 this because i hooked a atachment behind speedo with the drill and it seems to be working. cheers dave

Hi

Do you have an outer cable, an inner cable and a coloured plastic gear on the gearbox end?

If an Admin sees this post - can you put this thread in the correct forum please?

Bazza

#97 _daf67_

_daf67_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

hi baz , i have a blue plastic gear at the end of cable at g/box end , there are numbers on it .....- 7430970 holden 112 , do these numbers mean anything. cheers dave

and yes a outer and a inner and a blue plastic gear at end. cheers

#98 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

hi baz , i have a blue plastic gear at the end of cable at g/box end , there are numbers on it .....- 7430970 holden 112 , do these numbers mean anything. cheers dave

and yes a outer and a inner and a blue plastic gear at end. cheers

Hi Dave

I will PM you

Cheers

Bazza

#99 _wldgtr_

_wldgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hi guys i to need some help. I'm looking at buying another LJ torana but the one im looking at has the VIN id plate missing, but it has the other two id plates.
I need some help with identifying what the numbering on the tags are and if they all match up. Also this vehicle doesn't have the original engine with it so i was
wondering how i'd go about find the original engine number to try and track it down. So if anyone knows of any information about these code i would be greatly
appreciated as i don't wont to buy a bizza. Is it possible to have the id plates remade by holden at all?

Model: LJ82911 M = GTR i think
Body : 297978B ? Has this number too many digits
Trim : 182 50X ?
Paint: 568 13134 = Glacier White i think

Chasis: BLJ55017B

Build date 10/73

Cheers

#100 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

Hi wldgtr

The VIN of that car would be 8D11LDH297878J. It was completed on 16/11/73 and sold by dealer 557 (?? NSW) during Jan '74. The original engine was JL436014.

The colour is/was Glacier White and the trim is black vinyl

The Chassis Number accords datewise with the others but be sure that the Chassis Number on the ADR tag is the same as the one stamped on the inner passenger side guard.

No - it isn't possible to have a VIN tag legally replicated.

Cheers

Bazza

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: model identification, verification, vinplate, Body identification

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users