Speaker Locations for LX hatch

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

Hi,
Just looking at locations for speakers in the hatch as a system could be my xmas pressie haha.

I was having a look today and I think I will be able to fit 6x9's up the back of the hatch, on the sides, where theres a small factory diamond shaped vent???

But i don't know about the front??

Whats it like putting them in the doors because you would have to run the cable along the hinge??

So overall looking at fitting a headdeck two 6 inchers at the front hopefully splits and then two 6x9's at the back.

Head deck will go next to the hand brake nob etc. Will need to cut dash and lowerdash fasia thats all, as i want to fit 3 gauges below the 2 air vents in the console part.

No too worried about a sub because if I get decent speakers and headdeck it will be fine.

Any suggestions and photos of setups would be appreciated.

Youngy

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:21 PM

You have two options for bridging the gap between the shell and the doors:
1) spring loaded contacts - you need to make holes for the contacts to sit in and when the doors are closed the spring loaded contacts make the circuit btween the Head unit and the door speakers...

2) Rubber hosing - have a look at some newer cars at the wreckers and you'll see flexible rubber hosing from the door to the shell. Power windows and mirror wires go through the same tubing on the newer cars...

Pull off your door trim to see the 'factory holes' where you can mount speakers (check the magnet won't foul the window mechanism when the window is down (may need spacers).

You can make new holes or enlarge existing ones (sound deadening helps behind it too) - other option are kick panels or door pods at the front...
:)

#3 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:40 PM

Youngy,
I had 7 x 10's in the rear in my hatch. They fit in the same size holes as 6 x 9's which is a snug fit for the side vents in a hatch.
Front speakers are limited to a smaller speaker but the doors are the best spot if you wana hear it clearly, but kick panels is also not too bad if you want to keep door trims without holes.
I had set of splits up front in my last hatch and the 7 x 10's in the rear amped up and it was a great system. Its seems similar to what you are planning.

#4 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:51 PM

hey,

Yea i had a look at the interior section of the forum and a UC hatch had them in the doors with spacers. It will give better sound and i recon thats the go.

Yea i have go the trims off so yea probably the way to go. With the flexible bit of rubber to join the door and car

I dunno if i wanna run an amp though so i think i may be limited with the 6x9s and a 4x52watt headdeck?

So does that mean the headdeck can run 208 watt speakers????

excuse my lack of knowledge in the department.

haha

#5 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:18 PM

Do you want to hack up your door trims though?

Why dont you want an amp?

RIM

#6 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:24 PM

Yea,
An amp would be good but i was just looking at a cheaper option.

Im not too worried about cutting the door trims as Im probably gunna re apolster???(speeling), them anyway in velour.

youngy

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

I dunno if i wanna run an amp though so i think i may be limited with the 6x9s and a 4x52watt headdeck?

So does that mean the headdeck can run 208 watt speakers????

You should be able to run any headunit with speaker outputs through any set of car speakers, and also you have the potential to damage most speakers with even moderately powered front end units. It is not really that important to match the power output of the player with those of the speakers or vice versa. Rather than concentrating on the power rating of the speakers, hear what they sound like and if possible get there efficiency rating, that will be more meaningful on how loud they will be in your system......how much power they can handle is not going to be a concern unless you start getting into serious amplifiers.
There is much more to learn about all of this...............

#8 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:41 AM

OK :spoton:

Has anyone got pics of setups in torries??

Or links to some?

youngy

#9 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:53 AM

Ive got a few LC/LJ setup pics, but not much in the way of LH/LX's...

Go for a squiz around CarDomain, there should be a few there...

RIM

#10 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:16 PM

mate it wont matter how much watts ya speakers may be, it just means they will never over heat or blow cos the head unit/cd player is less watts.
having the amp will increase majorly ur loudness, n it boost the cabaility of ur speakers.
but if u get a good cd player n good brand of speakers then thats all ya need

#11 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

There is way too much to educate yourself to what is the best and how audio work in just this thread. Firstly there is a number of questions to concider.

1. What is your budget
2. Are you planning to do this in one big hit?
3. Personally would not use a oval speaker for your rear, this by nature destorts your sound.
4. are you after clarity or noise?
5. I have made speaker boxes before for the back of hatches (sits in the corners of teh rear) is this the sort of thing you wish to do or just hack into the original ones in the rear.

Cheers

#12 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

Re #3 - If so, why do so many people have 6x9" rear speakers?

RIM

#13 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

Re #3 - If so, why do so many people have 6x9" rear speakers?

RIM

Cheap, misleading advertising and everyone believes what the sales guy states. This is why the 8" 3 way speaker pioneer and alpine did are no longer availible, due to the push for 6x9's. I could go into the mechanic of the speaker, but will keep it simple here. Which would you choose, a 8" 3 way at $450 or a 6x9 at $180 which the sales person recommends??

Cheers

PS: most people are not the audiophile type and thus really do not care so much about quality. so but I hear that stuff, most people just do not know until they are shown... Fair point though!

#14 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:24 PM

hey Oldn' have you got any pics of the speaker boxes you are talking about?

#15 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:27 PM

Hey chiaLX,

was a very long time ago that I owned my shop. I might have some pics somewhere but would not hold my breath. Basically they sat at about a 45 degree angle in the corners and looked great painted or vynaled. Either way they where something I came up with.

I could make another set but it would be well after chrismas before I look at anything like this. I have a few other priorities before this.

Cheers

#16 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

I think i understand where and what you mean. could probably only fit a six inch speaker though, would that be right?

#17 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:17 PM

I think i understand where and what you mean. could probably only fit a six inch speaker though, would that be right?

Nope you can get 8" or 6x9" drivers there. it is not that difficult but remember we are talking custom here.

Cheers

#18 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:29 AM

3. Personally would not use a oval speaker for your rear, this by nature destorts your sound.

I haven't researched much about the distortion patterns of oval speakers versus circular, however, to paint a broad brush rejecting oval speakers simply because of their shape is unwarranted. Ive heard many fine 6 x 9s, and some rubbish ones......the same with circular speakers.
Many top end HiFi speakers make use of oval drivers, a particularly good one being the kef 139. The kef139 is still one of the most sought after drivers in the hifi world today, I was actually contemplating putting these in the parcel shelf of my car. The top of the line IMF transmission line speakers incorporated these and despite being 20+ years old these speakers still produce bass of a quality that you cant achieve without subwoofers today.
All speakers will have particular frequencies at which they vibrate best, this makes them louder in that part of the music than the rest causing tonal imbalance and typically adding harmonic distortion at the frequency they best resonate at. One advantage I am aware of is that the peaks of resonances in an oval speaker are reduced, compared to circular speakers, this being due to that it the speaker doesnt resonate as well at its resonant frequency or the resonant frequency is broader and less peaky.
Audibly this translates to a smoother bass response line and less chance of boominess and the need for equalisation in this area.

In answer to what to do, get the best pair of 6 1/2in speakers that will go in the doors that you can afford, whatever you put up the rear of the car is only going to really contribute doof doof. For wiring to the doors, heavy duty speaker cable going to near the door light switch with rubber grommets will survive.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 08 November 2006 - 05:38 AM.

#19 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:39 AM

I think it's lxsstorana, has some custom pods in the back of his Hatch. They look pretty cool.

RIM

Edited by RIM-010, 08 November 2006 - 06:39 AM.

#20 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:56 AM

I haven't researched much about the distortion patterns of oval speakers versus circular, however, to paint a broad brush rejecting oval speakers simply because of their shape is unwarranted. Ive heard many fine 6 x 9s, and some rubbish ones......the same with circular speakers.
Many top end HiFi speakers make use of oval drivers, a particularly good one being the kef 139. The kef139 is still one of the most sought after drivers in the hifi world today, I was actually contemplating putting these in the parcel shelf of my car.

I am not goign to argue nor fill the thread up with a heap of technical jargon and findings. For most of it, it will not be worth anythign as I will loose people in the understanding. Remember that a speaker is a electromechanical device and as such adheres to a few physical properties which have been around for ages.

Yes in the right place 6x9 or oval speakers can be used quite well (usually in the front and it will be for better mid range not Bass, or sub bass, nor treble)

Again I would not be using it in teh setup that sammyss, is trying to achieve. The only reason people use a 6x9 is teh same reason people use 10" subwoofers, to increase cone area. This is the bottom line of them. Taking that on bored you sound will be far better with two sets of 6.5" drivers in teh rear than with a set of 6x9is in the rear They physically are not the best design

Cheers

#21 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:21 PM

Yes, one reason 6 x 9's are popular is that they can put a bigger cone area into spaces that circular ones would be restricted by. It doesnt mean that they have to be inferior however, it does make them harder to manufacturer. You havent provided any reasons as to why circular ones will be better, and I have provided some material for you on the advantages of ovals which you havent refuted either.
Anyway, my advice is different.........choose a speaker which sounds good, not what shape it is.

#22 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

i always thought that oval speakers were a compromise on design to enable people to install larger speakers into rear parcel shelves.
i was under the impression the top reccomendations were that you would always get better sound from a round speaker of the same size.

#23 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:04 PM

Again I would not be using it in teh setup that sammyss, is trying to achieve. The only reason people use a 6x9 is teh same reason people use 10" subwoofers, to increase cone area

i never told u bout my set up, i dont think i did anyway.
ive got circular 6" speakers in the back, which are kenwood, and they give a very good sound.
it all depends what brand ur after i guess.
again its all what the person wants and likes the best to them

#24 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:26 PM

Hi Youngy,
this is one of the few pics I could find atm,
is the speakers we put in the doors of my dad UC hatch,
are 6 inch pioneer 2 ways,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is a close fit, the winder does clear the top of the speaker surround.

Cheers
Chris

#25 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:27 PM

Hi Youngy,

I've got an SS and was in the same situation as you a few years ago. It really depends on what you want. The other guys have given you some good advice and options. If you want to listen to music, 6 x9's in the back and 6's in the door will give you the best sound. If you want it loud then add an amp.

I chose to put my speakers in the back so I can listen to the music as well as the motor. I went for 6 x 9's and 6's in each side, and a sony 200watt head unit, no amp, but it's loud enough for me. Cheers Mick.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users