Speaker Locations for LX hatch

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:31 PM

i always thought that oval speakers were a compromise on design to enable people to install larger speakers into rear parcel shelves.
i was under the impression the top reccomendations were that you would always get better sound from a round speaker of the same size.

As suggested ^, the space is the major reason they are used in cars. This, however, is not the reason that some were used in high end speakers with very large cabinets.
Possilby there is a demand for just the bigger item so it is made cheap and horrible and possibly enhances the car stereo store myth that a speaker has to be round to perform well.
nb: ive got 6 x 9 s and 6 1/2in circ in my torry, I love them both. I used to run transmission line oval speakers in my home system which were good, now I run ribbons with a sub and I love them too.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 08 November 2006 - 02:42 PM.

#27 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

Hi mick,
that is a tidy setup in your boot space,
how did you fit the 6 inch speakers where they are?
Cheers
Chris.

#28 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:37 PM

lxsstorana: That is one very clean setup. Nice. I know wher my speakers will go when the time comes

:spoton:

Edited by ChiaLX, 08 November 2006 - 02:39 PM.

#29 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:00 PM

Hi guys,

I wanted a clean look for my torana so I removed all the vinyl and found plenty of room for my speakers in the hatch boot. There is a pre-existing hole below the 'C' pillar which will take a 5" speaker (from memory). All I did was to enlarge the hole and the 6" speakers went straight in.

Because I removed the masonite/vinyl trim panel, I welded some 1mm sheet metal to hold the 6 x 9 speakers to reduce the opening. Took between 1 to 2 hrs to fit all speakers, from start to finish.

If you want to keep it simple, secure your speakers to the existing trim panels.

Cheers Mick.

P.S. I had the stereo and speakers before I bought my SS so I made them fit to save money.

Edited by lxsstorana, 08 November 2006 - 03:13 PM.

#30 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:03 PM

yea lxsstorana thats a nice setup but i think i will still run with the ones in the door.

I will go for a headunit, 2 6" in the doors ans 2 6x9's in the back. As im not running an amp ill get all quality gear.

I don't mind sonys but i think i might go a little better and get Kenwood or Boss

youngy

#31 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:12 PM

Seriously would not touch sony's, secondly I would steer clear of kenwood too (cannot say why on a open forum) your better alternatives are alpine, clarion, pionner, JVC. Stay clear of VDO and some phillips stuff is OK. Again what is you bugdet? You also will get better bang for you buck with 6.5" rears as apposed to the 6x9's.

I am not going to go into the scientific reason fo why the 6.5" is better as to do so would take about 2 hour os explaining. Yes I did run a very high end audio shop, educated and entertained many with how I used to explain their setup, but most people who walked in did so because they wanted a terrific setup. No I was not a $70 install JBhi guy, we are talking $2,500 just for an install. Trust me I have dealt with many high end equipment and done exceptional testing in this department. I did not sell a product for a profit I sold a product for a job. I did nto care about margin it was about customer service. Huge difference, as the customer will leave happy. If you have a budget of around $1000 then you will get a great high end system (no installed) if you come down to say $800 then it still will be good but the HU will not have as many features if down to $600 then the HU will be a basic 4x15RMS (not the peak crap they talk about (ie 4x45peak) and be a basic cd player, no remote, no mp3 wma. Having stated that JVC have release a reasonable HU for approx $180. My best advise to you is BY the best speakers you can afford. Loose the features on the HU to save the dollars.

Cheers

PS: and good luck. Always be prepared to ask for a better price, and be prepared to walk away.

#32 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:14 PM

youngy dont get the sony, its the first one everyone thinks bout, they are good,
but nothing special.
ive got kenwood 6" in the front n kenwood 6x9's in the back, and it sounds awsome.
get a good cd player n ur laughing.
i got mine from strathfield the 6" cost $58 and 6x9's were $78, both are normally double that, so great bargains at strathfield.

or pioneer or jbl, they worth looking into as well

oldn64 whats wrong with kenwoods? they sound pretty good in mine.
personally i wouldn spend that much for a sound system straight away,
my head unit is kenwood, n it was only 200, came with remote, mp3 n few other
things.

Edited by sammy.ss, 09 November 2006 - 04:18 PM.

#33 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

Yea i recongnise your experience but i don't think i will be spending $1000 on a sound system.ATM

I recon $500 to $600 would get me a bloody good system. Ill install it all as dads an electrician.

As for the Head unit i don't want to get a top shelf one with stuff like blue tooth, but for $300 u can a good one with a flip down face, Mp3, 1pod plug in thingo and 4x52watts.

And then if i wait for specials that are always on $200-300 should be enough for the speakers.

youngy

#34 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:52 PM

I can get Good Alpine 6.5" speakers for approx $180. These will fit your budget.

Next your 4x52 is peak which means 4x16ish rms (actual) Stereo wording is a little painful at times.

The alpine head unit with ipod adapter will be out of you budget but teh next on down should come in at about $320. This will do mp3, flipdown, 4x18RMS (about 58-60 peak if you really care) Whilest I do nto recommend but the apline 6x9 will come in at about $165. So you do have a number of options of highend stuff. Personally I would start with just a front set and head unit. Then later place something in the rear. This will give you a good start and something you can build on. It will also put you in the runnign for a set of splits up front which give you a huge amount of options.

If you need me to contact my suppliers to give you a more realistic price, then pm me.

Cheers

#35 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

Ok thanks Oldn64, but im not going to jump in yet as the car won't be ready to be registered until, at least next July. By that time prices would have come down for the same product as everything does with electronics.

I want to get the car done completly, not just bits and pieces, so i think it would be better to do the whole system.

youngy

#36 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:59 PM

By July next year the new models will be out. so everything will be turned upsidedown. That will mean no saving at all. You would be better to buy at end of april when this years stock get literally thrown out the door.. ;)

cheers

#37 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:01 PM

I recently (a couple of months ago) bought last year's Fusion 6.5" and 6x9" speakers, 2 way and 3 way respectively, $130 for the lot (2 of each)

They may not be the best speakers out there, you'd struggle to get a half decent set of 6.5's for that, let alone 6.5's AND 6x9's.

I'm pretty happy with that.

RIM

#38 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:56 PM

Fusion have about 3 'levels' of car audio equipment atm. I think they are often overlooked... I run an FX45 equaliser atm and it does the job well.

#39 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:02 AM

Yea thats when i was thinking about buying them anyhow as my birthday is Mid April. :spoton:

youngy

#40 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:48 PM

Yeah, Fusion have -

Encounter - Basic Stuff

PowerPlant - Mid Level.

NV - :spoton: The Good Gear

I have Encounter's...

RIM

#41 _mav308_

_mav308_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

I can go take some pics of the setup in my hatch if you want? Doors may be of interest have some splits setup in the doors. The hatch area is setup differently than what you are looking at but may give ideas?

#42 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:22 AM

Hi mav308. Go ahead and post pics the more the better. It will give people more options and ideas.
Cheers

Edited by ChiaLX, 18 November 2006 - 10:22 AM.

#43 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:17 PM

Yea mav308 that would be excellent, please do :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users