Spacers Converting UC stud to Commo

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _LX_SSnatch_

_LX_SSnatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:09 PM

Hi All LX_SSnatch here

Im 17, and about to purchase a set of 17' Advanti wheel for my UC Hatch and being commo stud i have to change my stud pattern. The wheel shop i was at said i can order Spacers to convert it from UC to Commo

What is ure view on this idea?

And has anybody got them on a UC or and torana that is that could tell me abit bout them?

Any info would be great

Cheers
Matt

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

Welcome to the forums

Sarsha did it. See if you can find her old thread on it..... search button is under "my assistant" on the right

I rekon modern wheels look ugly
Not to mention the extra load on the bearings from the spacers and the brakes because of the larger rolling diamter

Each to their own though

A few people selling them on ebay ....... go look

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:03 PM

Since Torana rims have a +32 offset and Commodore has +43, if you get the minimum thickness spacer of 15 MM, the increased load would be negligable. Some modern rims would look crap on a Torry, whilst others could be great depending on car colour.

Welcome aboard and feel free to ask questions before spending money, we could save you heaps.

#4 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:14 AM

I've considered these too....but don't know much about them.
I haven't seen any in shops, and don't hear many people talk about them.

I know there are spacers as purely spacers to fit new wheels to old cars, but what about these PCD altering ones?

I spose CHOPPER and Dattoman are the ones to ask here... what's the legality of using these spacers?

(sorry to steal thread here, but here goes)
I'm having trouble finding any decent rims for the UC and would love some 16x7 Walky rims.....
Are these spacers legal, and will they be detrimental to my bearings to the point they'll fail? Or can I buy H/D bearings?

#5 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:49 AM

hey knoath, i reckon your rear bearings would hold up to the stress (its the same as having deep dish wheels) but the fronts might be a little bit different. but in saying that it probably wouldnt be that hard to just put some commodore brakes on the front then you would have nothing to worry about.

also i remember somebody saying once that they were able to fit like VB/C axles into there torana diff.... im really not sure how true it is, but it could be a safer option than puting these spacer things on...

#6 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

In terms of cost, what would the difference be in using these things
and doing an HQ change over?

I've not heard of these spacers before?

- Leakey

#7 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:57 PM

National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP)
http://www.dotars.go...n/vsb_ncop.aspx

It would appear that the adaptors are not legal. See page 15 of the document below.
http://www.dotars.go...ng_3Feb2006.pdf

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:30 PM

Because they are an adapter, NOT a spacer, they are legal. A spacer sits on the hub to increase the track. As these adaptrers are bolted to the hub, they are then considered part of the hub and therefore legal.

#9 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:57 PM

Cool.
Thanks CHOPPER.

Matty, all points taken into consideration.
Thanks.

#10 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:50 AM

In terms of cost, what would the difference be in using these things
and doing an HQ change over?

Please do not do this. HQ pattern and Commodore pattern are two very very different patterns. One being metric the other imperial. There is enough of a difference that the studs can fail and cuase untold damage to your car and others around.

I found this out the hard way a long long time ago. This occured due to a tyre fitter telling me that they where the same. Took 18months but one wheel did fail and fall off. it also took the drivers guard off at the same time. do the change right the first time..

Cheers

#11 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for the advice there OLDN' but my Q was more about actual cost
difference.

The spacer/adaptor is on Ebay for about $260 which opens up the world
or Commode rims, and I do not know how much an HQ conversion
would set me back, also opening up the world of HQ etc rims.

More a price Q.

- but thanks for letting us know that story. I am sure we've all done
something like that on the advice of an 'expert' just trying to sell
something. That's why this forum is so good. Many heads.

Cheers, Leakey

#12 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:57 PM

The spacer/adaptor is on Ebay for about $260 which opens up the world
or Commode rims, and I do not know how much an HQ conversion
would set me back, also opening up the world of HQ etc rims.

Leakey,

The price for a HQ conversion is not that much. The fronts are easy as with the use of hq discs and calipers etc. The rears are easy too, but I am not sure of the lengths in a torana. For other vehicles (ie HK etc) a HQ axle from a 6 cylinder will fit into the original housing with just a little trimmed off the ends so they do not meet. I would expect the same would be true in the Torana if the diff length is similar. Something to find out, I suppose. So really for less than the $260 you potentially will be able to do the conversion with just going to your local self serve wreckers. Your only draw back is that the wheels are still not on the car at this stage so a wheel costing is still required.

Cheers

#13 _LX_SSnatch_

_LX_SSnatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

Thanx for the info guy, but i wanna go the commo stud pattern as there is a larger selection of wheels than HQ

Cheers

#14 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

The issue is not the commodore conversion but the offset of the wheels availible. I am in teh process of modifying my EH for commodore rims and it is a tight fit once in there. (especially seeing the rim I want is a 18") The conversion itself is very similar to the hq conversion but I do nto know what turnign issues you will have in a LH/X I know the EH is tight and something I have got around I think, but in a Torana things get close quickly. I even went down the track of lookign at making new top and bottom wishbones for the fron but this is now not required.

Just remember that the Torana stub axle is the only one with that inclination and thus a Hr, HG, or HQ stub will lay the front wheels over agressively.

Cheers

#15 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

If the standard LH - UC Torana front disc is used with a 15 MM thick adapter on the front, the widest Commodore rim ( assuming +43 offset ) you could fit on the front in 15" would be a 7" rim. Otherwise, the rim will probably hit the top ball joint. If you were wanting to use a 17" rim, then you might be able to use an 8" wide rim on the front. However, the tyre would then be close to the sway bar and could actually touch on full lock. I have been there and done that.

#16 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:15 PM

That was my point, my concern was more in teh inner gaurd and fron leading edge of gaurd, but if sway bar the issue then it is a bigger problem. Wonder if a rear mounted front bar would assist or hinder this..?

Cheers

#17 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:18 AM

I will watch this space, i personally would like to know the outcome.

I would not use the wheel adaptors (things that change stud pattern), there is too much risk involved in the use of these. For safety reasons i wouldnt go them...

Cheers
Keith

#18 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:23 AM

That was my point, my concern was more in teh inner gaurd and fron leading edge of gaurd, but if sway bar the issue then it is a bigger problem. Wonder if a rear mounted front bar would assist or hinder this..?

Cheers

Tim, the standard LH/UC swaybar is rear mounted, a front mount might help.....

#19 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:42 PM

If you wanted to use adapters to have Commodore rims on an HQ, there shouldn't be clearance issues. But as I have done a Commodore conversion on my LX some 8 years ago, I am aware first hand of the problems and limitations of wide front rims.

Edited by CHOPPER, 08 November 2006 - 03:43 PM.

#20 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

Because they are an adapter, NOT a spacer, they are legal. A spacer sits on the hub to increase the track. As these adaptrers are bolted to the hub, they are then considered part of the hub and therefore legal.

woah, be carefull there chopper.

Read the rules here
http://www.rta.nsw.g.../vsi09_rev4.pdf

they state

The fitment of wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting face and the road wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer.

If you are prepared to go to court and argue that an adaptor is not a spacer, good luck. If you do intend to run adaptors, get them approved ( if you can ) by an engineer. He may ask you to chemically bond them to your discs or drums ( not sure how / weld ? )

just my two cents worth

cheers julian

#21 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:13 PM

But it isn't an adapter for dual wheel conversion.

#22 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:18 PM

edit..my reply didn't matter :<_<:

Edited by FastEHHolden, 08 November 2006 - 04:19 PM.

#23 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:19 PM

thats where its a bit cloudy chopper, is an adaptor also a spacer?

#24 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:21 PM

I would say a spacer isn't bolted to anything..so if its is bolted (like the stud pattern changing ones are) then its an adapter.

#25 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:25 PM

its definately open to interpretation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users