SLR5000 rebody

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 _hatchleSS_

_hatchleSS_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

Gday
New torrie owner and seeking some advice/shoulder to cry on!!
I have recently fallen into one of the pitfalls of buying a car un-seen. It was advertised as a SLR LH and was Valencia Orange in colour. After seeing pics emailed it was decked out like an SLR5000 and looked th goods - it was cheap so i snaffled it up!. I bought it interstate of an elderly guy when he emailed me the pics of the car (had to get his grandson to do it!!) the compliance plate stated Valencia Orange - he did however tell me he thought the car was originally green or had been painted green definately at some stage -but he was not a "torana" person - didnt know anything about them and knew nothing about the previous owner as he bought it as a deceased estate-the compliance plate, drivers side body no. and vin etc all match up, interior is original slate black and all codes match. When i got the car i was curious as to why he thought it was originally green - after removing carpet I found green paint..... so i think i have bought a re-body -the car was registered as Orange 8VD69 and got a REVS check done and all clear - so from a legal perspective I think I am ok. From the previous owners perspective he did tell me it used to be green - so silly me have no comeback but the good news is was cheap and the body is mint - no rust (country car) What i am thinking is what now? - do I baremetal respray (which was always my intention) and pretend all is good with the world?
Essentially what i have is a set of compliance plates on a car that suggest it is something it was not, interestingly there is no number stamped under the charcoal canister - and no evidence that this has been removed - is there any other spots where there is a number stamped on the car /chassis?
I dont know what to do? -sell it as is (be upfront with buyers about history of car though) -ie good body/interior with compliance plates and look for another project - or keep it and do what i set out to do?
Would appreciate anyones thoughts
Billy

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:23 PM

Get a wire brush to the area where the body/chassis number should be near the charchol cannister. It could well be hidden under a lot of paint.

#3 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:27 PM

Dont let anyone put you off, if its a good car and you're happy with it thats all that matters, if you're going to respray it, do it to match the tags

#4 _hatchleSS_

_hatchleSS_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:01 PM

I am of going half ahead with it to begin interior is out already- i have a mate who is a gun upholsterer, he is already weaving his magic on the interior - (which will cost me materials only - great mate!)
so if i go the bare metal respray to tag colours it will be indistinguishable as anything but what the tags say - i do have a few moral problems selling it to someone down the track as an original though - and if i am to throw "bare metal respray" dollars at a car would the fact that it is not totally original (body) make it worth substantially less? - my guess is probably?
Re - the body no. will do the wire wheel scrub and see whats there - are there definately no other places on the chassis/ body where a number is stamped - the plate under the charcoal canister seems very flimsy to hold a stamped body no?

#5 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

Mate put some elbow grease into the chassis rail , they are notorious for hiding under paint & primer and if the car has already been resprayed, it's filled in the stamping a couple of times already.
As you can see the metal is flimsy so you can imagine the light tap it gets when stamping the number.
Oh, and if your not smacking your knuckles on the radiator support panel every so often, your not sanding close enough :D

As to your moral dilema, it's easy. You repaint whatever colour you want, match the tags if you fell like it and when you come to sell, you don't make out it's something it's not.
Easy.
Otherwise, if your pouring money into a re-up and a re-spray, i gotta figure you want to keep it. If your keeping it, the moral question doesn't raise it's ugly head.

Welby

Oh, by the way, where is the pictures??

#6 _hatchleSS_

_hatchleSS_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Welby
wise words, everyone is different I guess, I love this car, I cant wait for it to be finished, however I have never owned a car for longer than 5 years.....so I am going to be realistic and say in 5 years time it will be forsale - I am not the sort of person to throw dollars at a car and then hide it away - this will be driven!!!
But the fact that it is not genuine just means maybe i wont throw as much money at it.
I will send some pics through when i work out a) how to get from MAC onto this website and B) when the good wife returns from girls trips to Phuket -she has camera (the trip was a cheap trade off for the torrie!)
By the way, removed one of the body tags, paint underneat was black, and was black down to bare metal - is this normal? - ie were some engine bays painted black from factory?

#7 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

If the tag says Valencia Orange it would point to the body being from after September 1st 1977? Originality is only a problem if you paid the acording pirice for it.

#8 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:11 PM

hey Billy,

the LH had black engine bays only the LX was body colour so I'd expect it to be black under the plate. I also wouldnt worry yet as you still havent found anything to prove its not a geniune car. And like the guys were saying if you like the car and are happy with it then who cares if its not. As for value even a good fake is still worth good dollars these days. Where abouts are you from?

#9 _hatchleSS_

_hatchleSS_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:18 PM

Fellas
some clarity coming through, the car is 11/77, so the Tags suggest LX, the engine bay is black dwon to baremetal (only on lh's?) so body (or part of it) is LH...?
She is a bit of a mongrel -but it looks and goes well - I am in Darwin, a few of these running around here and have a good following.
Thanks for all responseswill keep you guys updated with progress - am off to see a panel beater tom afternoon with a carton of the good oil on my shoulder (trying to get him onside early!!)

Cheers

Billy

#10 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:21 PM

One thing I noted from this post. a REVS check tells you only that there is no money owning on the car, it does not tell you anything else ie if the car was even stolen. I too thought Valencia orange was introduced with the A9X. I'll have to check. Can you tell us the numbers?

Edited by REDA9X, 09 November 2006 - 02:25 PM.

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:29 PM

well, I have some bad news for you, if it's 11/77 it's not an SLR 5000, none were made after the end of AUG 77. You either have an A9X there or a set of tags off one. Can you let me know the numbers and I will confirm it.

#12 _hatchleSS_

_hatchleSS_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:37 PM

she is tagged 11/77 means it was post A9x - before you get to excited she has the JL2 drum rear brakes (checked with holden) no A9X plates here I am afraid!!! - trust me i wish they were.
When I bought the car registered in QLD, i went through a company called AUTOCHECK -they told me if the car had been LISTED as stolen or encumbered financially it would list under the VIN as being the case...I couldnt really do much more than that - police are of no help

#13 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:41 PM

No SLR5000 manuals were made after AUG 77 and A9X ran through till Jan 78. As I said, if you can supply the VIN, chassis number on the compliance plate and the body tag numbers I can confirm it for you. I'd say you have tags from an A9X on an LH bodyshell. Valencia orange was an A9X colour, not SLR5000.

Edited by REDA9X, 09 November 2006 - 02:42 PM.

#14 _hatchleSS_

_hatchleSS_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

No offence fellas
but if you dont mind I am not going to post any details until I speak to this old todger from Brissy, I would be really surprised if he bought this car at the price he claims knowing it was not either something special (by the way of the tags) or he has or someone else has- fiddled with the tags -i smell a rat!
I appreciate all of your help, might have saved me a lot of trouble and money

cheers
Billy

#15 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:42 PM

no worries, if you like you can email me the numbers

#16 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:25 PM

Or send the numbers by PM. We really don't expect the numbers from anything that could be valuable/collectable to be publicly displayed for all to see. RED is only trying to help establish exactly what you have.

#17 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:06 PM

there are ways of telling if the bare shell is from a LH or a LX, do the rear seatbelts bolt into the parcel shelf or the C pillars? and the chassis number wont be under the charcoal canister, it will be closer to the edge of the rail

#18 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

Where abouts on a LH is the chasis number stamped? What side of the bay? Close to the firewall, grill or in the middle?

#19 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:45 PM

HachleSS, give this a go as a starting point.

http://home.exetel.c.../torana_vin.php

You need the VIN (middle tag in the engine bay).

Mmm, trusting an old guy that doesn't profess to know much about Torana's versus the wealth of information in here? I'm curious.

Kudu, it is located to the engine side of the rail near the charcoal cannister, just behind the radiator support grille, if that makes sense. They can also be missing due to accident damage (new sheet metal).

Edited by Yella SLuR, 09 November 2006 - 07:46 PM.

#20 racean69

racean69

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Name:Rod
  • Car:LH sedan

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

mmmm this whole thing sounds a bit off key!

#21 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:49 PM

Kudu, it is located to the engine side of the rail near the charcoal cannister, just behind the radiator support grille, if that makes sense. They can also be missing due to accident damage (new sheet metal).

Whats a charcoal cannister? I have never ever seen one of these in a torana in NZ. What side is the engine side? Left or right?

#22 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:22 PM

Kudu, it is located to the engine side of the rail near the charcoal cannister, just behind the radiator support grille, if that makes sense.  They can also be missing due to accident damage (new sheet metal).

Whats a charcoal cannister? I have never ever seen one of these in a torana in NZ. What side is the engine side? Left or right?

right hand side (drivers), other side has the battery like your used to seeing Kudu.

#23 racean69

racean69

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Name:Rod
  • Car:LH sedan

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:24 PM

Behind the drivers side headlight.

engine side meaning the edge of the rail closest to the engine

#24 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

Can u get a pic of the engine bay, a full shot and we can then see if its LH or LX shell, a lot of under bonnet differences.

#25 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

(First off I am sorry for the thread hijack.....I am really waiting to see the outcome of this one.)

I have never seen a chassis number on my car, but then again I have never looked.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users