monster tacho?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:05 PM

I've seen smaller tacho's put infront of the driver's air vent on the dash, but i'm not sure if a 5'' tacho with a shift light would fit there.

Who's got one? Where is it? Pictures?

Cheers.

#2 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

I would mount it within the dash in normal location and then remote mount the shift light (or toss it completely.) I can show you a pic of what I mean but it would not be in a torana.

Cheers

#3 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

monster tacho?, where's the best location?

The bin? :P

#4 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:15 AM

oldn why would fit the tach but not the shift light which is the most important part really :blink:

#5 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:19 AM

yeah when the shift light comes on you know you should already have changed gears :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

#6 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:21 AM

I'm with 1QuickLJ on this one, shift light is a useful driving aid if you like to drive your car hard..... Mount the gauge on your steering column in front of the original tacho, or clock depending which dash you have.

Dave

#7 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:49 PM

i know with my car it gets pretty bad wheelspin and revs out very quick so the shift light is very handy i certainly dont get time to look at the tacho

#8 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

by the way mines mounted loud n proud on the pillar.

#9 _cal-a-kid_

_cal-a-kid_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:03 AM

Mine is mounted in front of the clock. It mounts off the steering column.

I find the shift light it good, I set it just before the limiter on my computer and when the light flashes I hit the next gear just before my car hits limiter, it works well although there is nothing wrong with hitting the limiter every now and then...

Posted Image

Dean

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:15 AM

Does the light really work that well? I mean it looks like it'd be half blocked out by the steeringn wheel rim and pointing at the rear right passenger rather than the driver?

#11 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:20 AM

I'm guessing it must come down to experience and knowing your car but I am sure you would know when to change gears by the sound of the revs.

Obviously if it is reving fast/high then it is time to change gears. Or is the need to have something flashing in your face just another option for not using your brain/ears?

#12 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:57 AM

I found that when i first raced the monaro down the strip with a helmet on that the sound ( also a fully closed car... Belive it or not.. i had never driven the HQ with the windows up!) was completely different.

It took me 3 full runs before my nerves settled down enough to begin looking at guages and realistically half way through the second meeting before i watched the tacho enough to know where to shift and what i was crossing the line at!

So Yep.. When i re-do my dash.. Ive got my wanker tacho and shit light ready to go into the dash itself!

If i wasnt re-doing the dash, it would go on the column behind the wheel but not obscuring the speedo obviously!

Cheers.

#13 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

agree^ with tiny. i also had the same problem with the helmet on at the track, its very hard to hear whats going on as the helmet sort of makes you tone deaf, the motor sounds totally different. i like the shift light it allows me to shift spoton everytime, that cant be a bad thing as far as im concerned

#14 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:35 PM

Don't mind the shift light idea, but some of these monster tacho's are a bit ott.

#15 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:39 PM

with a well worked motor it will rev way beyond its safety limits, so a shiftlight is essential in looking after the motors well being. on a standard or mild motor yes they are a waste of time as it generally wont rev hard enough to hurt anything as you will feel the power drop off way before that. if people tell me there's no need for limiters or shiftlights that tells me something about their motor. :clap:

#16 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:43 PM

yeah but they look tuff, :rockon: (in the right type of car)

#17 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

yeah race cars have tacho and shift lights cause they look good. lol

#18 _cal-a-kid_

_cal-a-kid_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

Mine isn't obstructed by the steering wheel nor does it aim at the rear passengers. It serves it purpose whether you agree or nto I wouldn't take my car down the drags without it...

Dean

#19 _STEVO_

_STEVO_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:00 PM

http://img166.images...cture222ws5.jpg

#20 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:20 AM

Ok time for me to explain. A shift light is useless and dangerous. If your tacho is any go it will have a led that flashes just before the shift light is going to go off. Mine has memory as well. But teh real point is a shift light does not protect your engine. A rev limiter does a better job. All a light will do is blind you (esp at night). The other thing is most people place guages on there A pillar, which is highly dangerous and illegal. This is also why I have my tacho in my dash. Above all happy racing.

Cheers

PS: the whole reason behind a monster tacho is so that you can read it. At this stage you should think about placing it in your peripheral vision and thus will be able to see it light or not. ;) Hope that makes more sense to the previous comments

#21 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:15 PM

Hey tim.

What youve said is right mate..
I'm using my monster tach fitted in the dash in place of the original gear so i dont have impact problems. The shift light will be set around 500-1000 Rpm ( depending on how i learn to shift.. my reaction etc) before my desired shift point so that it gives me warning!

At the moment my rev limiter is my right foot.. but i think i'll be installing a limiter to my 6A module for safety's sake.

Cheers!

#22 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:42 PM

tiny
I from my experiences the 6A has no revlimit funtion and the 6AL does im presuming were talking about MSDs here

or are you going to use a procontrol or something similar?

Edited by gtr-xu1, 05 December 2006 - 01:44 PM.

#23 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:48 PM

Your right mate, the 6a doesnt, but you can buy the rev limiter ( separate little box with the rev chips) to connect TO the 6A ( effectively turning it into a 6AL). Bout $80 from memory!

#24 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:00 PM

This one i am using has a digital processor with 24 min memory VDO
its a owesome tahco it will record lap after lap or your entrie drag race from burn out to finish run after run!
It has a small built in shift light in the face and is very compact / small in size for a 5 inch tacho ,
Posted Image

#25 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:57 AM

i just set my shift light 300rpm before my intended shift point. which allows for reaction time. no problemo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users