Winding back an SLR speedo

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:05 PM

hi,
As the title states i want to wind back the speedo that I am going to put in the LX hatch. Iv'e got it down to just the speedo but don't want to fiddle with it.

I have a normal one that i will wind back first.

Suggestions??

thanks ryan

#2 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

They are normaly wound forward with a high speed drill rather than backwards. I would get a quote from an instrument repairer.

#3 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

thought that was illegal?

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

thought that was illegal?

If a different speedo head is fitted it should show the original mileage of the car.

#5 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:00 PM

Yea thats right. Does anyone know how im sure iv'e heard of people doing it??

thanks

#6 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

If there are only 5 digits you can wind it forward far easier to match your current mileage.

James

#7 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:23 PM

In the bike shop i worked at we used a battery drill in reverse,and a home made adptor or cable

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:28 PM

I once did this on a HK speedo with a drill and it was working fine until I increased the rpm and the cogs stripped.

I have successfully removed the pin that holds the small sprockets in between the digits on a HK speedo and then manually turned the dials to 00000 and then replaced the pin and sprockets.

#9 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:27 PM

Only a qualified instrument repairer is permitted to touch and odometer reading. They will give you a certificate at the end and all is above board. Winding back speedos is illegal and carries huge penalties. Besides if you play with them the gearing will normally strip.

Cheers

#10 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:11 AM

i just got a screw driver and forced the cogs to the desired reading.. still worked after that too.

Evan.

#11 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:02 AM

^^me too

#12 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:35 AM

When I first Rego'd my LX with the new VDO speedo, it had 3.6km on the clock and the Qld transport lady queried it and I just said it has a brand new speedo and she said - okay plugged 5km (their system couldn't take less than 5km) and away I went.

M@

#13 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

Interesting reg. If a speedo dies, does it have to be replaced with one to exactly the same reading the old one had? It wasnt til 88 that a reg was introduced that cars had to have functioning odometers, so it must be okay to drive around in a torrie with the odometer not working? so why the fuss if it hasnt got the correct reading on it? as long as no one claims the reading is genuine?
If looking at an torry, the last thing Id be concerned with is what the numbers on the odometer say.
Putting one on a drill is obviously the simpleton way of changing it, but one wouldnt want to bend the needle of the scale and even at 200kmh(you do the maths) it would take weeks to get the desired reading.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 03 December 2006 - 04:02 PM.

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:05 PM

^ Agree with the above 100%

Although I wouldn't mind resetting the odometer in the LX to 00,000 (aftermarket cluster anyway, it's only a six digit job) when I put in a rebuilt gearbox, motor, front end, diff etc...

#15 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

My GTR Dash came with a reset speedo. I put the original one into the dash fascia, as we will probably use the '0' one when we rebuild the drivetrain.

RIM

#16 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:33 PM

yer when i was selling my LH prople would ring up and ask for the km's , i was like yer rite buddy, cos its got the orrigional engine and box.
it is the last thing i would look at unless they are claiming its all orrigional.
Ev.

#17 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:30 PM

I had a pair of UC SLE dashes set to zero and that is legal because I am not trying to pass them off in a car...It is illegal if it is done to misrepresent the car at sale.

So I think it would be OK one a rebuilt/restored car...but you wouldn't want to claim that the mileage displayed was correct.

#18 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:08 PM

Why would you bother with cars as old as ours. Think it only applies really to newer cars. Lets face it with the number of K's on our cars, you really need to be a bit handy with cars to get involved with them.

Mine only has 18,000km's on the clock, just don't know which time around because it is an early 7 digit odometer.

#19 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:12 PM

Yeah fair enough guys but I just think it would be good to start from 0 again with the restored car and V6 thats all, its not the end of the world if i can't but would be nice.

youngy

#20 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:18 PM

yer when i was selling my LH prople would ring up and ask for the km's , i was like yer rite buddy, cos its got the orrigional engine and box.
it is the last thing i would look at unless they are claiming its all orrigional.
Ev.

hehhe, of course the question they should be asking is: Has the car been caned and used for burnouts? Mileage makes little difference when some kid has revved the engine past all points known to man ;) Plus worn the diff gears down to nothing lol

And this is a question that should be asked of all Toranas lol

Herne

#21 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

I had my dash cluster re-wound ( cause the regulator died and cooked the lot!) the insrtument place that did the work also re-set the speedo to 0 cause they thought it was for a restored car with a new engine! heheh!

Ahh well. You could always take it to an instrument place.. Last one i used was "macarthur instruments" in Camden. Good bloke he did a great job at recoing my fuel sender!

#22 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:55 PM

^ ain't it nice having a working fuel sender? My fuel consumption has gone down heaps since getting it fixed.

#23 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:18 AM

Yep, bit of a question mark over this one. I recently bought a dash cluster off e-bay for a sl/e commodore. I asked the Q is it for 6 or V8 and the reply was - I have 2 speedos here with the same mileage?

What if a car came off the prod. line, did 20000ks, blew a motor, and at 75000 blew a trans all under warranty? The true mileage of the car is 75000 klms and that is all it could be advertised at although the running gear is virtually new?

#24 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:18 AM

^ I suppose, one would advertise that it has new engine and trans, but cant claim its a zero mileage car.
There are many parts of the car that actually suffer/wear from the car being driven.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 05 December 2006 - 08:20 AM.

#25 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:49 AM

Many years ago I went to register a VH SLE. From this there was a 45 min arguement (which left me going home to grab my spare cluster) all because my speedo read 1.8km. It is a BIG deal with km's and yes the car was completely rebuilt. I also was working at a instrument place at the time so did have the cert for the speedo as well. The rego and gov bodies do take fraud seriously. Take sometime to think about it. Sure the age of teh vehicle does denote that the km's really do not matter (even though I have a 1966 car with 27,000 original mileage and I know of a XU1 with 23km total on the clock) so yes mileage can be a big thing. But the police etc will through teh fraud thing at you if you cannot produce the documentation to support the change. When a mate purchased a VC SLE cluster from holden and placed it in the car (under warranty) he needed a certificate from holden as well as teh sales receipt to prove that it was a genuine replacement. To this day I still do have the VH SLE cluster which shows only 47km's now, which was teh kilms when if feel off the dyno.

SO All I am telling you is that you do require to think about what you are asking. Yes teh law is strange at the best of times and yes it is fine to have a broken odo in a torana but it is still illegal to play with the odo reading without the right doco and settings.

Cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users