Winding back an SLR speedo

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:20 PM

i pulled my SLR speedo apart and set all the numbers back to 000000, it was a bit tricky but not that overly hard!

#27 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:38 PM

I attached a small piece of cable to a tape cassette player thingy, got a old speedo housing, bolted it to the workbench, put the speedo in the housing and put the player on fast forward with the cable in the speedo.

Took 19 days to get there but it got there, nice and slow so no stripped gears

Ive found that if you pull them apart (LJ ones) they dont seem to work when put back together, cant work out why

cheers

loui

Edited by Loui, 05 December 2006 - 08:39 PM.

#28 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:23 PM

What if a car came off the prod. line, did 20000ks, blew a motor, and at 75000 blew a trans all under warranty? The true mileage of the car is 75000 klms and that is all it could be advertised at although the running gear is virtually new?

interior, suspension, body, steering components are all 75,000km old.

With the original post, Are we talking an odometer which only goes up to 99,999km or 999,999km?

I wouldnt bother turning back the 99,999 odometer, because even its max reading is low. Fair enough if you put new engine and all and just want to know for your own reference.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen that the title says 415k

Edited by mike_nofx, 05 December 2006 - 09:26 PM.

#29 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:43 AM

What I was trying to get at (I understand that I didn't explain myself to well) is it doesn't matter how much you spend or what you do the car is never new again. With regards to full ground up resto's in particular. I know my LJ hasn't got the original speedo in it and it would be nice once its running (or should I say IF it ever runs) to start the speedo back at 0.

Perhaps another example:

Huge add in the Trading Post.
LX Torana
Original
Ground up resto. 1,000's of $ and Hrs spent
Big this, Fat that.
All new whatits and thingos
Double over head blah blah's
And so on.
358,000 Genuine K's?

Or would the 127,000 One owner for the same price catch your eye better?

#30 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:18 AM

DOHC, in an LX? I wanna see that :tease:

I think that if you're buying a Torana, the K's on it are pretty irrelevant, coz theyre all 30 year old cars. Unless its a GTR/SS etc, where if the K's are low then it's probably been nursed its whole life. And face it, most of us are going to rebuild em to some extent anyway...

RIM

#31 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:02 PM

I Know of a mint HG wagon which has 27,000 miles on it, not bad for a 1970 car, kms do matter.

Cheers

PS: mate has a EH which has done 18,000miles, again another real example of why km's are a good thing. Even still smells new for both.. :D

#32 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:50 PM

No true! Our slr has 96000ks on the speedo. Verifiable through the DOT.
If it was advertised for sale; with a 'normal 30 yr reading' car, which one would you look at first?
Isn't the odo reading recorded when you get the RWC? Its all traceable.
These toys aren't cheap anymore! The genuine low k examples are worth really good coin! If i were looking to buy a low k torana, then i would pay a premium for it. But i would also do my homework & verify that those k's are true.

#33 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

27,000 miles on it, not bad for a 1970 car, kms do matter.
PS: mate has a EH which has done 18,000miles, again another real example of why km's are a good thing.

^Is this a imperial/metric thing?:nada:

It should be fairly obvious if the odometer reading is genuine, condition of steering wheel, drivers seat, pedals,carpet......though anything can be made to look new and smell new with enough effort I suppose.

The only way that I could see that you could verify any genuine odometer reading is to see service records where the date and odometer reading is recorded, especially if the vehicle has never changed hands, but if like most of us here, it wouldnt have been let near a workshop for a while.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 06 December 2006 - 08:51 PM.

#34 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:19 AM

I remember looking at an A9X at a show, a few guys pointed out it had done only 8000km from new. It made me wonder why the car had been resprayed and the steering wheel was completely bald, overall condition was.....less than average.

#35 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:31 PM

27,000 miles on it, not bad for a 1970 car, kms do matter.
PS: mate has a EH which has done 18,000miles, again another real example of why km's are a good thing.

^Is this a imperial/metric thing?:nada:

It should be fairly obvious if the odometer reading is genuine, condition of steering wheel, drivers seat, pedals,carpet......though anything can be made to look new and smell new with enough effort I suppose.

The only way that I could see that you could verify any genuine odometer reading is to see service records where the date and odometer reading is recorded, especially if the vehicle has never changed hands, but if like most of us here, it wouldnt have been let near a workshop for a while.

nope not a imperial/metric thing. they are an example of genuine cars (they do exist) and they are verifiable as well. My point is that in some circumstances the km/miles do matter. in some cases they do not. All I am finalising with is the legality of touching/fiddling with the odoemeter.

Cheers

PS: I have a VC SLE speedo with 18km's on it. I tried to sell it, nobody wanted to look at it. so low km speedos do nto mean squat without the car!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users