Rare spares rubbers- discusted

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:53 PM

As some of you know i am embarking on restoration of my LC. a had a look at rare spares prices for new rubbers.

for a few measley peices of rubber they want over $600

This is not good enough!

I have been in contact with a chineese rubber manufacturer who is SUPER keen for a new buisness oppurtunity. at the moment they are doing stuff like window wipers, rubber bits for forklifts ,etc.

So who needs new rubbers??

i am going to send some of my old crusty rubbers and some scale drawings over within the next couple of weeks, for quotation. if you want a piece of the action also... pm me......, i could stuff some more shit in with mine.

Greg

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:31 PM

There would be a fair few people interested depending on price & quality I would think. If they got remade I think 'Hollow' door seals (like factory) would be a must. All my previous toranas that had solid door rubbers were very hard to close. I need new door seals for my LX hatchback so I'd be interested pending an approximate price. I think the cost of tooling & research is what adds to the cost of rubber remanufacturing.

Edited by Flamenco, 01 January 2006 - 07:33 PM.

#3 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:31 PM

yeah id definately go a set if they are good,i need 2door doors and 1/4 windows.

make sure they make them from hollow section,not solid

#4 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:08 PM

Same same for an LJ

#5 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

ok this is what i will be sending off.

1/4 vent rubbers
bailey channels
door seals, (4 door) - yep not solid a must!
weather strips- outside under glass. - ideas with the clips anyone?
boot seal
rear 1/4 window rubbers

jap xu1, ill have to ask you to find out how long your 2 door rubbers are, as for the 1/4`s ill get a shitload of these if the budget stretches that far.
no rush do it in a forghtnight or something

Edited by gstar, 01 January 2006 - 10:36 PM.

#6 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:05 AM

cut n paste

As a professional manufacturer of rubber & plastic products,ignition cables,stamping parts. We're the main OEM suppliers for mini cars in China. We took up about 60% OEM market of Ignition cables and CV boots for mini cars, and supplied a great rubber shock absorber to domestic OEM customers. A great number of rubber and plastic products were exported to USA, Belgium, Italy, Australia, Malaysia and other countries every year.

ISO/TS 16949 quality system is our quality guarantee. High quality material were used to meet the customers different requirements.

Hope to hear from you about the new business opportunities.

With best regards,
Yours sincerely,
Liu Jun

#7 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:14 AM

let us know how you go.

#8 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:58 AM

gstar just wondering if u could put some window seals in aswell... not sure if u can, so it dont matter if u cant. lol. but the front and rear of my lj 4 door are REALLY wrecked.
also it should be interesting to see how much they cost. as i would be interested in a complete set,

#9 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

Definately interested in price

#10 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:30 PM

add me to the very interested list!

A1

#11 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:45 PM

gstar just wondering if u could put some window seals in aswell... not sure if u can, so it dont matter if u cant. lol. but the front and rear of my lj 4 door are REALLY wrecked.
also it should be interesting to see how much they cost. as i would be interested in a complete set,

um i am not too sure what you are talking about, ill be dimantling front and back doors and sending all the rubbers away,

what i will do is firstly find out how much these are going to cost. and ill keep progress posted in this forum.

#12 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:00 PM

gstar
Just a word of warning do not pay for any tooling until you have an approved sample and also make sure you own the tooling and can move it if and when you want
Les

#13 _Jaime_

_Jaime_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:20 PM

les: I am very impressed with the quality and range of Holden badges that you produce. Keep up the good work.

#14 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

Gday les

thanks for the advise,

im thinking you may not be too impressed with the creation of this thread. can i ask you for your opinion?

#15 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

rarespares have a monopoly on this market atm.
we all know theres nothing better for the consumer than healthy competition.

hopefully the product will improve and set a new benchmark.

#16 _svenikus_

_svenikus_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:13 PM

I'd love to be able to buy new rubbers for the UC but for someone on my income (student) there is no way in hell I can afford a complete set of rubbers without getting a bank loan :huh: but as jap-xu1 said, they have a monopoly so theres not much you can do except live with it.

#17 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:30 AM

I notice that Les has offered his assistance in giving you the tips on the tooling.

I'm sure that Rares has been though the process that you are now embarking on!

I dont know where Rare's products are made but beware of quality of not only the samples but of the finished product and also quantities that will need to be ordered!

Anyway, Competition is always healthy, best of luck to you and i'm sure Rare Spares will be interested in your progress. Remember that everyone has to make a living. I'm not saying its ok for ANY business to skin their customers but everyone needs to be able to make money.

Cheers

#18 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:07 AM

Gday les

thanks for the advise,

im thinking you may not be too impressed with the creation of this thread. can i ask you for your opinion?

I have no problem with this thread good healthy debate and feedback is always welcome. As for making the seals I think you will find it isn�t as easy as it may appear, remember what I said about tooling. You may also find the quantities a problem as well they will probably want to make the MPQ 1000 and that quantity will take a fair while to sell. One other point the LH to UC seals are the same as the ones we made for GMH when they had them
Les

#19 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:34 AM

Les is there any way Rare Spares could modifiy there door rubbers to make them softer, ie softer rubber

Im wanting to buy my kit soon but there has been constant complaining of these rubbers being too hard and i have seen the damage myself that is caused by having to slam the door so hard.

Many thanks

Loui

#20 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

RARES donot have a monopoly on this market.
There are AT LEAST two other manufacturers in Australia producing very high quality door seals, etc.

Make sure you have a look at there products and prices before handing over any hard-earned.

Grant..

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:08 PM

http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/

They're not cheap either. I have the impression their rubber is all to factory specs but don't quote me on that. When you can't get it anywhere else, they will still have it.

#22 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

Les is there any way Rare Spares could modifiy there door rubbers to make them softer, ie softer rubber

Im wanting to buy my kit soon but there has been constant complaining of these rubbers being too hard and i have seen the damage myself that is caused by having to slam the door so hard.

Many thanks

Loui

Loui
They cannot be made any softer we have looked at that many years ago all we could do is reduce the profile sightly which we did. Most of the complaints we have had on investigation we have found them to be the fault of the fitter and not the product
Les

#23 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

RARES donot have a monopoly on this market.
There are AT LEAST two other manufacturers in Australia producing very high quality door seals, etc.

Make sure you have a look at there products and prices before handing over any hard-earned.

Grant..

enderwigginau
LC LJ door seals as far as I know nobody else makes them, as for vent window seals , front and rear windscreen seal, bailey channel and door belts they are all Rare Spares products or made from the raw material supplied by Rare Spares
Les

#24 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:08 PM

http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/

They're not cheap either. I have the impression their rubber is all to factory specs but don't quote me on that. When you can't get it anywhere else, they will still have it.

Heath
They are Rare Spares products supplied by Spectrum in Sydney to Scott�s Rubber
Les

#25 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:15 PM

Many thanks

Loui

Loui
They cannot be made any softer we have looked at that many years ago all we could do is reduce the profile sightly which we did. Most of the complaints we have had on investigation we have found them to be the fault of the fitter and not the product
Les

i put rares door rubbers on my last lc.
i could not shut the doors without slamming them.both the doors ended up with big dints in them and cracked paint above the door handle.
they simply did not crush enough to allow easy door closing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users