Rare spares rubbers- discusted

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#26 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

i put rares door rubbers on my last lc.
i could not shut the doors without slamming them.both the doors ended up with big dints in them and cracked paint above the door handle.
they simply did not crush enough to allow easy door closing.

jap-xu1
Just because you fitted them does not mean that they were fitted correctly we use a company in Melbourne called L&B fitting and they never have a problem and they have fitted many over the years , I know you are in NSW and they are a bit far away but you can call Bob on (03)93036406 after the 16th of Jan
Les

#27 _Broads_

_Broads_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

Les,

I fitted a full Rare Spares rubber kit to my LC coupe and I'm having similar dramas with closing the doors (you have to really slam them on frame to get them to shut) but I'll be the first to admit I hadn't done it before and there's every chance I buggered it up. Are you familiar with anyone in Sydney that could refit them?

Cheers,
Andrew

#28 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:13 PM

any one know how close a hb vauxhill viva door is to a lc / lj door, they look close to me

#29 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:21 PM

Les,

I fitted a full Rare Spares rubber kit to my LC coupe and I'm having similar dramas with closing the doors (you have to really slam them on frame to get them to shut) but I'll be the first to admit I hadn't done it before and there's every chance I buggered it up. Are you familiar with anyone in Sydney that could refit them?

Cheers,
Andrew

Sorry I do not know of anyone in Sydney that fits door seals you could ring Bob on (03)3036406 or you could use some Rubber Magic, you spray it on your seals and close the doors for 24 hours and it may fix the problem, it�s available from Rares. Rubber Magic appears to fix most problems except if the fitting is really stuffed up.
If you want a can PM me the cost will be if it works you have to tell the other forum members if it doesn�t you have to tell me via the forum and we will go from there.
Rubber Magic is a spay on liquid that settles rubber into the shape, cars of older years with smashes and crashes and different parts ,it makes the fit better it really is magic I put it on my car and the doors close like a Mercedes Benz

#30 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:25 PM

Les,
How about letting us all in on the secret??

M@

#31 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:28 PM

les ,

if i purchase a set of door rubbers for my xu1 from rares and have fitted by L@B fitting , then would i be guaranteed that i wont have to slam my doors shut ????..

if so , let me know a price and a time for fitting and i will respond to this thread with feedback on your product .

cheers 830

#32 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:30 PM

any one know how close a hb vauxhill viva door is to a lc / lj door, they look close to me

I do not have a Vauxhall parts book but if the part number starts with 74 or 28 it is only Australian . BTW its HA Vauxhall the HB was a Torana (Vauxhall not popular here or in England)
Les

#33 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:36 PM

Les,
How about letting us all in on the secret??

M@

Toranamat69
Sorry I have to do a Pauline Hanson (please explain what you mean)

#34 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

les ,

if i purchase a set of door rubbers for my xu1 from rares and have fitted by L@B fitting , then would i be guaranteed that i wont have to slam my doors shut ????..

if so , let me know a price and a time for fitting and i will respond to this thread with feedback on your product .

cheers 830

830hp
First answer Yes
Next answer ring Bob 039303646
Because we do not believe we have a problem with these seals I am confident, if I am proved wrong then they will be fixed if possible
Les

#35 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:34 AM

I need to say a couple of words here guys,

Firstly Thanks to Les for listening to what the end users of Rare Spares products are saying and Thanks to the forum members who have kept the criticism constructive.

Please remeber that Les as Rare Spares are part of this community and that they come here in their "spare" time to gain knowledge on how their equipment can be made better to help US!

Please everyone keep in mind that this thread is to be kept constructive so that everyone can gain from it.

Thank you.
Tiny.

#36 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:08 AM

Hear Hear Tiny :)

Cheers
Herne

#37 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:56 AM

Thanks Les for coming here and offering your time your advice and knowledge

#38 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:56 AM

Les, just to expand my Q' a bit, is there something people are consistantly doing wrong with fitting the door rubbers?

Unfortunately we can't all get to the place you mention but if you could give a really good run down on what the tricks and traps are, maybe the success rate for the guy doing these in his shed will improve.

If it all comes down to the rubber magic stuff - I'll be straight out to get some.

#39 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:30 PM

Agree with others - thanks to Les for being a part of this forum, and for responding to all comments, whether positive or negative. Good to see also that posts are not getting rude or personal, as I've no doubt they would on some other forums that I frequent.

Les, it looks like I'll be needing a full set of door rubbers for an LC sedan which I am currently working on. It is a low km car with no damage to doors, apart from a slightly sagged LHF door (which is one of the things we'll be fixing). I haven't used rubber magic before, but if it works as you say, I'll be keen to try it. I was going to give it a go on my LX hatch, but this car is in storage while I work on the LC.

I'll have a chat to Ian or Andrew in SA about the door rubbers, fitting them, and rubber magic, and I hope to be finishing the LC off by end January or early February. If all goes well, I can give some recent first hand feedback then.

Just a few personal observations about door seal fitting and car condition - LCs and LJs do not have much room at all at the front edge of the front doors for the door seal to compress, ie the gap between the A pillar section and the front face of the door. If there is any rust inside the A pillar which pushes the outer panel out at all (and this might not even be visible from the outside, as it is a triple panel), or if there are a few more coats of paint (or bog) on these panels, then that can make the problem much worse. I reckon it is this area which is causing the doors to be difficult to shut. Saging hinges is also a factor, but not as big a one, I reckon. Having said that, the doors (Rarespares door seals) on my XU-1 are still bloody hard to shut after 14 years, even thought it spends 99.9% of its time with the doors shut. This car is in A1 condition - no rust, no door sag, no dodgy repair work - maybe just a little more paint on the A pillar and door than original. One thing with LC/LJs too - don;t ever use the door handle, or just in front of it to push on to shut the door - you will dent it eventually. I always push on the window surround, or the window itself to shut the door.

As for the LX hatch seals (can't comment on the sedan ones, as I haven't used them) although the door shutting problem is far less of an issue, the Rarespares seals seem to be just a litle wider, or not sit as flat on the trailing edge of the door. If the door hinge has sagged at all, or if the seal is not glued down flat across this whole area, I've found the seal to catch on the B pillar plastic panel, and make the door harder to shut. I also think that the Rarespares seal hasn't got the same corner shape on the top rear corner of the door as the original seals.

Lastly, one other thing for all of us to keep in mind - yes, the doors used to shut easily with the old door seals fitted, but don't forget that it may be because the seals aren't sealing too well anymore, allowing the air pressure caused inside the car by shutting the last door to be dissipated. Fit a whole set of new seals, and you've improved the sealing of the car, which may well make that last door harder to shut.

Over all, I'm glad we have Rarespares around, to keep our cars in good nick and on the road :spoton:

#40 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:39 PM

are these a hollow seal or solid... if they are hollow has anyone thought of drilling some more small holes in the hollow section for the air to escape faster???

Edited by gml-31, 04 January 2006 - 12:40 PM.

#41 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:14 PM

Les, just to expand my Q' a bit, is there something people are consistantly doing wrong with fitting the door rubbers?

Unfortunately we can't all get to the place you mention but if you could give a really good run down on what the tricks and traps are, maybe the success rate for the guy doing these in his shed will improve.

If it all comes down to the rubber magic stuff - I'll be straight out to get some.

Toranamat69
L&B fitting is close until the 16th I will ask them for advise on fitting LJ LC door seals on their return and post it here , if I forget please PM me
Les

#42 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

Agree with others - thanks to Les for being a part of this forum, and for responding to all comments, whether positive or negative. Good to see also that posts are not getting rude or personal, as I've no doubt they would on some other forums that I frequent.

As for the LX hatch seals (can't comment on the sedan ones, as I haven't used them) although the door shutting problem is far less of an issue, the Rarespares seals seem to be just a litle wider, or not sit as flat on the trailing edge of the door. If the door hinge has sagged at all, or if the seal is not glued down flat across this whole area, I've found the seal to catch on the B pillar plastic panel, and make the door harder to shut. I also think that the Rarespares seal hasn't got the same corner shape on the top rear corner of the door as the original seals.

Over all, I'm glad we have Rarespares around, to keep our cars in good nick and on the road :spoton:

Thanks Dangerous
This is one of the best forums I go on .
As for the LX coupe door seals if they do not have a cornor the are not ours
Les

#43 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:43 PM

I agree with what Dangerous has written,but from a lot of people I have been told that they have had problems,me included.If there is a proper way to fit or fix them could someone post up a thread on how to do it as most people just end up putting 2nd rubbers on or none at all.A thread on how to fit them properly would help just in case some of us are doing it wrong or if there is a problem with the car.

#44 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

My car has new rubbers (LX hatch)
Everything closes OK except the rear hatch windows. They sit way out and can't be closed up with the locking mechanisms
Mind you I haven't tried to fix this...... but the previous owner did
Might try some Magic Spray.

#45 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

over 2 days i have been looking for rubbers elsewhare, so far i have found bailey channels and some door belts which i think may need modifying to make them fit, but for a good price ill do what it takes, the manufacturer said i could have samples of the two before i commited to buy anything.

as for the door seals i have not found a manufacterer to make less than 1000 meters yet. but i will keep trying. the tooling required to make these seals is pretty inexpensive, as i have been informed it is a simple designed extrusion die.

front quarter window seals i have only found one place in the usa that custom makes them for $100 us, sounds about the same price as rares, but dont quote me on that. they also custom make screen seals and door seals. http://karrrubber.com/
there must be more out there,

may be worth alook

#46 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:07 AM

sending seals, can someone please go in the garage to there 2 door, and measure the cicumfrence of the door seal, as i am guessing it is the same as a sedan seal, just longer, also length of the door belt.

i am not doing this to gain profit, i want a set of seals that wont leave snakes in my pockets. and i shouldnt have to stuff aroud with rubber magic

#47 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:13 PM

Obviously time isn't money for those who are complaining about the price. These sort of items aren't super high turnover, so obviously the price needs to be higher than something that is. Companies are allowed to make profit, thats why their in business. No one wants for work for free or penuts. Why waste 30 hours or something of mucking about to save a few hundred bucks (if your lucky)?

If its a problem with the quality then thats a different story. I can't comment on the quality, as I haven't purchased my kit yet, but I will be in the not too distant future. I would be interested to hear any fitting tips.

#48 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:16 AM

Hey Les,

Bought some seals off you guys about a year ago and still slaming doors. Just want to know about this magic rubber? What is in it, just worried about damaging my new paint job.

Cheers

Phil

#49 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

Rubber Magic will not harm the paint, all you do is spray the door seal wipe it in, spray the door seal again and close the door for a few hours, and you should find a difference after a few hours say overnight. The first person to email me that has a door seal problem and is willing to post the results on this forum I will give a can of Rubber Magic to for no charge. The only catch is they have to be in Melbourne
Les

#50 _Broads_

_Broads_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:55 PM

Les,

I picked up a can today at lunch time from the Homebush store. I don't have immediate access to my car (it's about 3 hours away) but I'll be working on it over the weekend and I don't mind posting the results early next week. If someone wants to have a crack at it before then that's cool, it may be best to get a couple of opinions anyway?

Cheers,
Andrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users