#26 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

this is why i have mdf on the shelf, i have cup head bolts onto the steel, and then the speakers easily screw into the mdf, and it also acts as a spacer, keeping hole size in the steel to a minimum
cheers
dave

#27 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:38 AM

Guys, I would love to see some pics of these set-ups of 6x9's on the back shelf and how they sit in there.

Bump ...

#28 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:26 AM

On the subject ov louvres and speakers. If I had an internal louvre (one of the old school metal ones), and a set of half decent 6x9's on the parcel shelf, with a bit of dB would the louvre start rattling, due to the vibrations?

RIM

#29 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:33 PM

With the bass turned up it would definately rattle, probably not for 'easy listening' though. For anyone who gets problems with rattles, sound deadening usually cures it - I use dynamat (not the spray or paint on stuff).

#30 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:38 PM

Guys, I would love to see some pics of these set-ups of 6x9's on the back shelf and how they sit in there.

Bump ...

And bump again .

#31 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:07 AM

whaaaa??? Cut a hole, plonk them in. How hard can it be? I must have some pics if you really need them... nag me on MSN and i'll look into it.

#32 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:21 AM

Havent seen ya on MSN for a while ... saying that tho I deleted alot of contacts on there about 6 weeks ago while in a bit of a tidying up mood. :fool:

#33 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

i got 6 x 9's in the parcel, i put spacers in cos i didnt wana go cutting the shit out of it so i put spacers in n only had to cut a little bit out,. i get picks soon for ya

#34 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:51 AM

OK, have put in a MP3 player, only thing is when I turn it up there is a vibration in the rear parcel shelf, sorta sounds like distortion, but it isnt, the rear parcel shelf is vibrating.

Any ideas on how to strengthen this would be appreciated ...

#35 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:17 AM

I'd be surprised if it was the shelf itself vibrating - probably more to do with how the speakers are mounted. If the speakers are on a board of MDF etc check that it's insulated from vibration (use carpet or preferably some sort of stick on sound-deadening pad) and also that all wires are away from potential sources of vibration... The speaker magnets aren't touching the boot springs or anything like that are they?

#36 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

I have the same problem and for me I didn't make the mdf shelf thick enough. I believe you should go to about 15mm+ to make sure the shelf doesn't vibrate with the bass of the speakers.

#37 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

But the shelf itself has to be secured in the correct way also. I mean thickness helps but I'm sure you could have a thinner MDF sheet that wouldn't vibrate when installed correctly.

#38 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:08 PM

Mine's held down by 8 small bolts to try and stop the vibration. In my car if you put your hands on the roof it stops the vibration. So a thicker MDF board will absorb the vibrations to stop them transferring to the cars body which doesn't really have much sound proofing on it to stop vibration.
The way to stop low frequency is by mass and the easiest way to add the mass in on the parcel shelf rather than sound proofing the whole car.

#39 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

Yep okay if that is happening then I agree with you.

#40 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

Is your board covered with anything PeterUC or routed mdf? If you can stop the vibration from the board to the metal of the car that's half the battle solved (why I use carpet or rubber grommets). Sound deadening (stick-on stuff) isn't just there to absorb vibration, it also gives speakers better response when mounted behind them.

#41 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:27 PM

Why, oh why, do people put 6x9's in cars.

Shit sounding speakers, good for f*ck all.

That said, neither of my cars even have rear speakers.

Both have a set of 6 1/2" in the front (Torana has Alpine type S splits, run by an Alpine V-Power 220 amp, BMW has a pair of cheap shit Pioneer coax run off hu) and a sub in the boot (Torana has an Alpine Type S 4ohm DVC 12" run by an Alpine V-Power 350 monoblock, BMW has a Pioneer 4ohm DVC 10" run by a Pioneer monoblock), run by an Alpine mp3 hu in the Torana and a Pioneer mp3 hu in the BMW.

Both sound rather good, considering both are fairly cheap installs. BMW install cost me $60, Torana cost around $1200.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 11 November 2007 - 07:28 PM.

#42 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

Why, oh why, do people put 6x9's in cars.

Because it's easy, period for toranas and most people can't be bothered making pods or modifying kick panels to put splits in! I don't like rear speakers either but each to thier own...

#43 _Toranaman24_

_Toranaman24_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

Here is ur request...these are in an LJ though

Posted Image
Posted Image

they are just cheap things bought from an auto shop, i will be purchasing nicer ones later. I only put the blocks in because the magnet off the speakers were hitting my sub box and i could not screw them down.

On another note, im acctually having problems electrically. When my sub is thumping (quite loudly) My headlights strobe and all my gauges flicker from low to full??? and if im indicating or turn lights on the head unit will overload and shut of then reboot. I have no idea.

O well hope the pics help

Matt

#44 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:49 PM

You need a bigger alternator Toranaman24. Perhaps a bigger battery/feed cables. Also upgrade the earth cable coming from your battery using larger gauge audio wire. Add me on msn [email protected] and give me your system specks and i'll let you know what you need.

Flamenco, glad to see you agree with me, but why do you need to make pods to fit splits???

Posted Image

Easy mate.

You can make pods naturally, I whipped these up out of fiberglass for a mate when we did an install in his Lanos:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Back of the Lanos while were going...DOOF!!!

Posted Image

Sadly was all crap gear, but still went suprisingly well lol.

Cheers.

#45 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

What size battery and what size alternator?

#46 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

If the HU turns off that means your battery is probably below 12V... Have you got everything connected to an amp? How are your connections (good earth - battery + & - the same guage wire?)

#47 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:52 PM

I may have mislead some people here, I didnt end up putting the 6x9's in as yet, still have the 6 or 6&1/2 inch speakers which I was going to replace but havent as they sound OK.

Having said that, its just when I give it a little extra umph they seem to distort, or moreso the parcel shelf is vibrating. The sound it puts out is nice, its just when I turn it up to enjoy a good song(not looking for absolute loudness, just way above conversation levels), it makes the distortion/vibration noises ...

#48 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

Flamenco, glad to see you agree with me, but why do you need to make pods to fit splits???

I didn't say you needed to but often there isn't enough room for the window to go down in some cars or they are exposed to the elements - firing straight across the car often isn't the most ideal way to set up speakers for the best sound reproduction when it comes to midranges. It often works well for tweeters if they are mounted in the a pillars.

#49 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

Bomber Watson, when are you next driving thru Chinchilla ?

#50 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:00 PM

Lol, not for a while mate. Unless you want to fly me there to do a stereo install for you :P

Flamenco: yeah mate I know. The setup i have there is the best i could do. The Alpine splits come with swivel mount tweeter cups, if you have a look at my top pick even though the tweets are mounted flush they are angled toward the opposite side seat headrest.

If i was going for absolute SQ then i would make pods to angle the mids a bit, but to be honest it sounds very nice as is.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users