#51 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

I think the best you can hope for is to start another class for replicas. The times I've watched the Group C cars race lately, they have been insanely popular just as CB mentioned. Why would cams change the rules.

#52 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:19 AM

I dont see why the rules (relating to the current group c/a) need to be changed at all... Running a separate class for the replica's seems logical to me... at least that way the current guys can continue on as they have been, and the meetings would be supplemented by the replica class... that way dosnt everyone win?

#53 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

I can live with that. Anyone know what is the current status of having cigarette advertising ala period signwriting on the cars? I remember they had to change them at Bathurst..2 years ago I think.
R

#54 _73lj202_

_73lj202_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:57 PM

Eventually CAMS will work out that no one is taking out there G Cs as they are too valuable and allow replicas to play.. The day is nigh.
R

Sorry mate, I would have to disagree with that Rory. A couple of our cars are off limits on the track, yes the 1979 A9X is very rightfully one of them, but I'm a paid up and proud member of the Group C & A org and can see it gaining momentum. Remember, there are only 11 Bathurst and ATCC winners in the Group C era, most of the remaining 200? or so cars that were log booked are perfect candidates for some clean fun and a good financial return when you're done. As mentioned earlier, these cars are still quite cheap, compared to the european Group C (Sports) cars, Trans Am etc... If you want to get your replica on the track, you can either join Improved Prod. or the QR Top gear days, or better yet, SUPPORT the GroupC and A org, so that it grows and a spin off of it is commercially viable. I can assure you, the idea failing will not send CAMS into a spin trying to replace it with a replica series. Group C&A is already the biggest crowd pleaser at any historic event, and that is with occasionally small grids and a little bit of bumbling. It is very early days for these types of tin tops and we all need to cooperate if it will succeed & when it does, it will be great for all forms of motorsport. Cheers, CB.

Agree, bring on Phillip Island,6 weeks to go!

#55 _gmp&a_

_gmp&a_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:16 AM

DAMN!! He is still alive!! Lack of sleep hasnt killed him yet!!

Well we will see Chris...I just think that the spiralling prices will make a lot of guys park them and go to Regularity or similiar...opening the door..
On another note..Did Peter Champion buy the Brock 72 XU1?
R

Hi Mate,

No, Peter didn't, which is a bit odd as he will snap up any GENUINE 05 car, at nearly any price. Perhaps his research differed from ours? We thought 500k was a bit steep, but are very happy the Tate's got it.

Cheers, Chris.

#56 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

Peter was talking $150-200k I thought..but obviously someone wanted it bad...old supply and demand thing..
R

#57 _gmp&a_

_gmp&a_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:46 AM

Here you go mate.

http://www.dealphoto...album=31&pos=38

Completely off topic, but I thought it may cheer you up!

Now SUPPORT group C & A!

Edited by gmp&a, 31 January 2007 - 08:47 AM.

#58 _yellowa9xs_

_yellowa9xs_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

Group C and A will grow - even though the cars are gaining in value, minor scrapes and bingles (not Lara - who is a major bingle) can easily be straightened out and MOST of the guys who run in the series respect their own cars and the other cars around them.

If you knock a corner off a car, get it repaired - If you think about some of the most desirable Group C cars around, then probably one of the best has been battered, bruised and rolled - The Channel 9 Camaro, would this car be as famous as it is if it hadn't rolled at Bathurst, maybe, maybe not. These cars are race cars and always will be.

Look at Des Wall, he is running the original, genuine Geoghegan Mustang in the Biante series which is usually contested by replicas - and most of those guys are mad men! But that is what these cars are about - getting them out there and racing them.

If you want to see VALUABLE cars racing, have a look at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in England, equally irreplacable cars flying along a narrow English country lane at full speed - and often driven by the owners who are generally not great steerers.

You don't need to spend a fortune to get into Group C. For the cost of a decent LJ GTR, a Group C Gemini would be great fun, would be fairly cheap to run and be going up in value - and a real piece of history. And besides that, a really well steered one of these wouldn't be far off some of the slower V8's.

Like in the glory days of Group C, half or more of the field is made up of under 2 litre cars.

And the best part is you would get to drive around great tracks like Phillip Island, Sandown and Bathurst, oh, and Eastern Creek and Queensland Raceway.

#59 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

Here you go mate.

Now SUPPORT group C & A!

Thanks for the pics..what a FANTASTIC weekend!!!
I DO SUPPORT GROUP C and A!!!! I just want come out and PLAY too!..But they wont let me! :cry: I will even flick the VN heads and go back to L34s if I have to!!!!Scrap Eastern Creek..its gone AASA..CAMS is out. Weird thing that...not sure what to make of it. HRCC Historics are at Morgan Park at Warwick this year I think?
R

Edited by rorym, 31 January 2007 - 07:11 PM.

#60 _yellowa9xs_

_yellowa9xs_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:37 PM

If Eastern Creek do leave CAMS, what will happen to the Muscle Car Masters - The Biante series guys have paid to run with the V8 Supercars, so they are unlikely to run outside CAMS.

Also, CAMS supply the Certificate of Description that show that the Group A and Group C car you have is the real thing, so we would have to stick with a CAMS track (I assume).

Hopefully............

I've heard that the Bathurst track are trying to get, or have got, approval to run 4 meetings a year. With the BIMF at Easter and some 1000k race in October, the Masters going to the Mountain would make good sense. Let's hope.

#61 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:55 PM

Yep, take the Masters to the Mountain.

The change will help stop it going stale, even if it moved back a few years later but Bathurst would change the flavour for a while.

Would make it worth the $$$$ to go again.

Mind you I have little idea what facilities there are.

#62 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

Here you go mate.

Now SUPPORT group C & A!

Thanks for the pics..what a FANTASTIC weekend!!!
I DO SUPPORT GROUP C and A!!!! I just want come out and PLAY too!..But they wont let me! :cry: I will even flick the VN heads and go back to L34s if I have to!!!!Scrap Eastern Creek..its gone AASA..CAMS is out. Weird thing that...not sure what to make of it. HRCC Historics are at Morgan Park at Warwick this year I think?
R

DOH!!!... I meant Queensland Raceway ..NOT Eastern Creek!
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users