28 replies to this topic

#1 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:50 PM

hey guys,also for the rwc,the mechanic said the rear springs have to be secured (in a lx 4 door)how do you go bout securing them?they have been lowered bout 2 inches.

cheers

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

You may need shorter shockers. Contact Pedders and see what they say. Lowered VB - VS Commodores without I.R.S. have the problem of the rear springs falling out when you jack them up under the body.

#3 _torana05_

_torana05_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

If you lower the rear of a LH-LX or UC Torana two inches or more you use LC-LJ rear shocks.

Cheers,
Andrew 2.

#4 _workinprogress_

_workinprogress_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

with a shortage of good condition rear shocks for an lc or lj lying around my backyard i was wondering what other substitutes are there?

#5 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:47 PM

yeah it seems fine sitting on normal flat ground,but when it was put up on the hoist the mechanic said they could be moved.

this same mechanic put down the exhuast touches the tailshatf(only on hoist , when its on the ground there is over 2 inches clearence)

and he said repair a small tear in the headlinning for a rw?um ok

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:21 PM

When I tried to get a RWC for my HZ, I was told I can't have 14" rims on the front and 15" rims on the rear. I was going to argue with him, but since he only knocked me back on that and a ball joint, I shut my mouth and did as he said. The 15" rims were back on half an hour after I got the RWC. :spoton:

#7 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:37 PM

Its true about odd sized rims, unless they were factory fitted that way. I personally don't see what could go wrong.

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

Different rim diameters front and rear is NOT a roadworthy item in VIC. Maybe in the nuthouse states, but not here.

#9 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:58 PM

whats with picking on a small tear in the headlinning?right up near the pinch weld.he didnt mention anything to do with wheels and tyres except back right needs to be replaced,haha.only just

#10 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:12 AM

You could just get some contact adhesive and put it on the edges of the tear, wait ten minutes & stick them together again (after the glue has got tacky).

#11 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:13 AM

Just tape it up and see what he says. Another tester may pass that, but knock you back on more expensive things.

#12 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

I am failing to see how a tear in the roof lining affects the safety of a car????

#13 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

Some testers are just pricks. Others have very obscure reasoning behind their judgements. As I said, it may be easier to tape up the tear than to go to another tester who may tell you to replace a lot of other things.

#14 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

Just buy a set of shorter shocks in the absence of spare LC/LJ ones in the back yard.

#15 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:46 PM

Tail shaft rubbing exhaust, even on hoist YES RWC Item
Roof lining NO not RWC Item (unless it hangs down and obscures any vision)
Odd wheel sizes YES RWC Item (unless as manufactured but I don't recall any car being made with 2 different wheel diameters except econovans with dual rears)
Loose springs YES RWC Item (all items must be secure to the vehicle even at full suspension extent) this also covers your exhaust issue.

Landrovers had a webbing strap (like seat belt material) on the rear suspension standard to limit axle drop

I would certainly question the head lining but I think he may be right on other items. You have the right to overturn issues via. RTA if you think you are being stooged but that may mean an inspection at Kew.
RACV MAN (Who just happens to be RWC accredited)

Edited by rodomo, 07 January 2006 - 10:52 PM.

#16 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

so lc lj shocks will be fine in the back of the lx?

what do other people do on here when they lower there lh lx 2 inches or more???

lc lj shocks the go?

#17 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:19 PM

If your in Melb. I can lend you a pair to try before you buy.
RACV MAN

Edited by rodomo, 09 January 2006 - 09:20 PM.

#18 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:37 AM

Gary i think i recall lxchev saying he used Commodore IRS springs or something didnt he?

#19 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:08 AM

Hey boys,

Yeah when you use real low springs in the rear, it's common that as the susension reaches full travel the springs become loose and can move, unseat etc. When I was running my low springs I believe they unseated at the top because when I pulled them out the top coil has actually been crushed in a little bit, so not cool!

But anyway, what I had been planning to do was buy a set of short throw shocks. A mate told me Pedders sell these, but I never investigated any further. Give em a buzz and see what they say! Get a price if you can too, I'd be interested to know, and I'm sure lots of others would be too (I am planning to run these in the hatchback when I lower it too). From memory, these short throw shocks were only available in the Sports Ryder series, which is exactly what I want anyway.

Apart from that solution, I reckon the only other way to fix this prob would be to fit some standard height springs again to your mates car. (Which will possibly also fix the issue of the exhaust hitting the tailshaft).....

Keep us updated.

Cheers.

#20 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:32 PM

as the current springs had been choped.we just bought some pedders rear springs,they said are bout 2 inches lower than standard.so will fit them and see what happens

#21 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

Regardless your still going to need the shorter shocks. I'm running short Bilsteins.

#22 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:31 PM

how much do the blisteins sell for yella?

brett i might make a call to pedders now...

#23 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:29 PM

pedders short throw shocks are $210 a pair

#24 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:02 PM

Dunno how much they were. Got the shocks, lovell A9X lowered springs, and full front end rebush for $1,400 bout 2-3 years ago now.

#25 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:09 PM

we fitted new springs to the rear,now the car has a slight lean and left side is higher,is there companys in melb that do reset the springs?maybe so we can make it even lower again??

and also when fitted springs to the front,are compressors a must?and to undo the lower ball joint?

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users