#1 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

tell the forum :1. your favourite track as an on site spectator.
2. your favourite track as a competitor.

me personally as i am yet to rub door handles is to spectate at morgan park,QLD.
i think its the lack of signage and the bush atmosphere that give me a nostalgic feeling of being a kid again.
lakeside and surfers were where i spent my teenage years but morgan park reminds me of earlier days at caboolture and maryborough sporting car clubs.

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

In Vic. for the V8's I would have to say Sandown at the top of the grandstand in the betting ring. You can see the whole track with exception of turns 2 + 3 from an undercover position. Get there before 8am to get a good position and take your fold up chairs.
Winton from turn 3 has about the same view but your in the weather.
Philip Island is limited from the front straight but I have never been high around the back of the circuit.
Calder was terrific from the opposite side of the track from the grand stand but again out in the weather. (Saw the big Lowndes roll).
Driving, I would have to say Winton as it is the only track I have driven on. :blink: I believe out of all the Vic. tracks it would be the best to learn on before tackling faster tracks.

Edited by rodomo, 31 January 2007 - 10:09 PM.

#3 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:56 AM

for people planning on travelling to meetings this year,we could really get some good local knowledge shared here.thanks rodomo.

#4 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

I always used to love Amaroo as a spectator, and Oran Park is great too.

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

^ :+1:

#6 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

I would have to pick Lakeside over Surfers tracks as a spectator. Lakeside you had the hills to sit/park on and had access to nearly all the track. Surfers you were limited to only the straight and the corner coming into the straight.

I liked Morgan Park but I have only spectated from just up from the pit area. It was a track that had I still been in Brisbane and had my hatch going (har har) I would of been looking at completing there rather than QLD Raceway.

#7 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:42 AM

I ran a 1963 GT Cortina in Group N (appendix J) for several years and enjoyed Calder and Winton in preference to longer circuits such as Sandown and Phillip Island. This is because the Cortina was strongest on stopping and handling, but short on pure grunt. The Mustang guys may well prefer the longer tracks!
Also ran at Templestowe, Morwell and Lakeland hillclimbs which were better suited to the smaller cars too.
As a spectator, turn one Winton at the May historic meeting is a must every year.
Deck chairs, BBQ and curried egg sandwhiches are a long standing tradition.

#8 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

Sadly I've only ever raced in WA so Barbagello is the only circuit I can say for that one
My car however has raced at PI, Winton, Sandown and Oran Pk
I'll have to ask it which one it liked best

I've only spectated at Barbagello and QR
Neither is terribly good

#9 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

the paperclip is a shit of a track. while its been described as a technically challenging one to drive,what happened to a hill,a dip,some esses,an off camber prick-of-a-corner,etc.
to think that QR would be exciting to watch was a mistake.

#10 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:22 PM

As a driver I've only ever raced at Mallala, so dont have much else to compare it with... yet.... If all goes well this season, I'm planning on doing an IPRA round at Phillip Island, so I'll report back after that :)

Havnt done alot of spectating lately, but I always enjoy going to Mt Panorama.... Prob not the best track from a viewing standpoint... but the atmosphere at the top of the mountain is unreal....!!

#11 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:32 PM

Oh yeah....... forgot about Bathurst

Been there 5 times
Its about atmosphere and getting pissed though...... not the race...... lol

#12 _yellowa9xs_

_yellowa9xs_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

350LH, go to Phillip Island - It is the best track by far. Except for the main straight, you never go straight.

I've raced at, Amaroo Park, Oran Park, Eastern Creek, Wakefield Park, Bathurst, Lakeside, Indy on the Gold Coast, Sandown, Winton, Phillip Island, Adelaide GP circuit, Mallala, Barbagello, Symmons Plains and I've driven around Baskerville.

If I only had the choice of 1 track to race on, it would be Phillip Island.

Lakeside was great to drive on, and Amaroo Park and Wakefield Park are good fun. Bathurst is fun/challenging on the top of the hill, but the straights are a bit boring.

Most circuits have some good bits - I liked Mallala and Barbagello. Baskerville is great. Symmons is kinda ok. Oran Park - take it or leave it. Turn 8 at Adelaide is QUICK. Sansown is great over the rise and down into Dandenong.

I hated Winton, the rabbits ears are just wrong. And Eastern Creek just isn't a flowing race track, turn 2 is just crap.

For spectating - go to Indy. Trust me - the viewing is spectacular! And the racing isn't bad either.

Anyone who ever gets a chance to drive at speed at Phillip Island just has to do it!

#13 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

Bathurst is fun/challenging on the top of the hill, but the straights are a bit boring.

For spectating - go to Indy. Trust me - the viewing is spectacular! And the racing isn't bad either.

thanks ,thats quite a resume you have there yellowa9xs.

i wouldve thought conrod straight would be welcome relief.

and yeah ive been to indy twice and wont return unless its in a highrise.waste of a day without proper planning.

#14 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:08 PM

I dont really remember lakeside, my pa used to take me there when he drove busloads of japs to ride bikes there.

Ive only raced at morgan park and qld raceway, and i gotta say i love morgan park!

Fav part of the track is going up the hill under the bridge, left kinda turn off camber, very exciting at 100km+ in 3rd gear with the rear stepping out!

A1

#15 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:32 PM

350LH, go to Phillip Island - It is the best track by far. Except for the main straight, you never go straight.

Yeah for sure, it looks unreal - I esp like the fact that its got a bit of everything...

Starting out at mallala is cool, but I'm looking forward to going up and down hills... Plus I really cant stretch the legs of the ol 350 at the moment....

I have a sneaking a suspicion that I'm gonna scare the cr@p out of myself..... and I cant wait.....hehehehe :D

I've always dreamed about racing a Torana at Bathurst..... dunno if IPRA are ever gonna get a run there again..... if they do, I'll be up there will bells on!!

#16 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

1 = Bathurst..It is something else..just because if you stuff up...especially on a bike..it gets REAL ugly!
2 = Surfers Paradise. I cried and got pissed for 2 days at the last race there..(The Swann Series)..Plus..I can admit it now...we set the Dunlop Bridge alight.(Well..we were Dunlop..and it was our bridge!).just a small BBQ..It never did burn down...bloody thing was made of hardwood 30 years old and was as hard as concrete! :furious:
R

P.S. Gregg Hansford played..NOT ..a small part in that activity as well I must say!

Edited by rorym, 01 February 2007 - 06:30 PM.

#17 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

sheesh ror never dob yourself in.
that bridge remains one of my fathers treasured memories.
his first race in quite a few years and the pack was about 5 abreast under the bridge on the first lap. he reckons the senses came alive real quick.

#18 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

It was dismantled and stored at Beenleigh for years..Then slated to go to Darlington Park or QR...Dont know the final outcome.
R

#19 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:45 PM

Well I guess I've been spoilt, I've only driven at Phillip island, first in the LX Torana and then in the VH. I'm still working up to speed but it's a great track and fairly safe. Last time I went there it was wet and even then it was heaps of fun. From the two 2nd gear hairpins to the flat out kink just before Honda and the high speed sweepers, its got something for all cars. It's not so good for a spectator since the trees have grown over the years and you can't see the back part of the track so easily.
From a spectators point of view I like Sandown. If it rains, you can sit in the grandstand and see nearly all the track, if its dry you can get trackside and feel the cars as they go past. I can't wait to drive there and experience the downhill esses.

#20 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

Like Sandown too...for what Mick says...when you are out there you can see the grandstand out of the corner of your eye..
R

#21 _yellowa9xs_

_yellowa9xs_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:14 PM

Mick,

You've been lucky to run at Phillip Island 1st. Just about everything else feels slow after Phillip Island.

At Sandown, the Esses down into Dandenong are freaky - coming over the rise off the back straight, it drops away so the entry is blind, and bloody quick. You basically skate down the esses and then brake really hard for the left hander. A nice bit of road.

Do you live near Phillip Island and are you going to go to the Historics at Phillip Island on March 10 and 11? I think there are about 8 A9Xs and L34s entered.

#22 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

the paperclip is a shit of a track. while its been described as a technically challenging one to drive,what happened to a hill,a dip,some esses,an off camber prick-of-a-corner,etc.
to think that QR would be exciting to watch was a mistake.

just because it is flat the whole way around doesnt mean it isnt technically challenging there is the bumps to consider into turn 1 and the lines for turns 1 and 2 and 4 and 5 take a bit to get used to and then there is the big braking points into turns 1, 3 and 6. while it may not be the best from a spectators point of view it certainly is a lot more fun on it, Ive been there once in a VT SS and once in the LH. but i could think of much more enjoyable circuits. like lakeside i cant wait to get around that!

as a spectator Lakeside is awesome, very exciting to watch and the indy track is great too, good racing there are tv's everywhere to watch wat u cant see (unless ur in a highrise) the atmosphere is brilliant and the offtrack views aint half bad either!

#23 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

I've raced at, Amaroo Park, Oran Park, Eastern Creek, Wakefield Park, Bathurst (Conrod straight sprint), Adelaide GP (1 lap "Stage 1" Adelaide Rally), Barbagello, and I've driven around Mallala and Calder. Drag raced at Calder, Wakefield, AIR and Canberra. Have spectated at all of them also.
My fave as a driver is Bathurst Conrod Sprint... going into caltex chase flat @ 200KPH (no lift) is amazing. Keep in mind we start at the bottom of the hill from forrest elbow.
Spectating... Grandstand at Sandown and Eastern creek is ok. The small grandstand at Oran is good also... Wakefield at the kink on the straight is good but its always freezing.. or bloody hot and and of course WINDY...

Hey Sam, let me know when you are entering Phillip Island... I would like to race there this year ... keep me posted... mate I'll race ya ass.. and let the best 350 win!! :tease: :spoton:

#24 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

Hey Sam, let me know when you are entering Phillip Island... I would like to race there this year ... keep me posted... mate I'll race ya ass.. and let the best 350 win!! :tease: :spoton:

hehehe for sure, I'd be keen as for a run with ya!! With any luck, I'll be bringing a couple of other torana runners over with me... so we can have a phillip island toranafest!!.... :D

The only thing that is a bit up in the air at the moment is the result of the IPRA proposal re the 225/60/15 tyre debarcle we are currently going through.... Apparently they are NOT making any more of them... and there's none available in AUS, UK, or the US......

#25 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:45 PM

As a spectator, my favourite track is Rehn's Raceway at Arno Bay.

As a driver, my favourite track is Rehn's Raceway at Arno Bay. :spoton:

I can't actually think of any other racetracks that I've been to...

RIM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users