#76 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

hey all

been a bit slack over the last couple of weeks with uni restarting and all. Today i done a little bit of work, and removed the drivers side rear quarter from one of the spare torrys. The spare car has been in a severe rear-end accident and the drivers side rear quarter appeared to be straight and so i figured id have a shot at removing it as my first cut out from a car.
I think i did a ok job with the outer cut being the neatest, however i could have done alot better on the inside of the boot. Im still not too sure if i will use this as its really hard to tell if its straight or not but it was good practise non the less for when i have to do the serious parts on my car.

Heres how it came out:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sorry i havent organised a weekend yet for you guys to come up, i have been working weekends lately as uni doesnt suit for work hours which is a pain but i may have next saturday free (st pats day) so if anyone is interested in getting stuck into it with me let me know! :spoton:

#77 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

sorry bout the size of the photos!! i forgot to change the settings on my camera!

The list of things i wish to do next:
1. get the 253 out of the trailer and on to an engine stand (can anyone assist with this??)
2. remove fuel tank and fuel lines in order to remove rear brake line
3. remove engine and box
4. build trolley for the front end and remove the front end
5. rebuild front end

theres a whole heap of things i have in my head that i want to get done! most are basic things that need to be done, but its still hard to prioritise these things!! :tease:

#78 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:37 PM

I can assist with 1, 2 and 3, but I can't do anything that requires strength for more than a minute or two at the moment, as I think I have an unsafe blood pressure at the moment.

EDIT: Actually I can assist you with all of them, but that doesn't mean i can be screwed.

Edited by Heath, 11 March 2007 - 10:38 PM.

#79 _wanna-torana_

_wanna-torana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:48 PM

I'm back around the place now, Leigh, so just give me a date and an address and I'll try to be there. About the engine stand, I know my brother has one but I think he's using it to hold a Chev big block at the moment, so it won't be available for awhile. Or do you already have one?
I can give you a hand with just about everything on that list. I'm working in the industrial sector at the moment, so strength isn't a problem :P
Talk soon,
Cheers,
John
Not sure if my dad has a MIG, but I'll ask him. Might be able to get it for a day or two! :spoton:

#80 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:47 AM

I can assist with 1, 2 and 3, but I can't do anything that requires strength for more than a minute or two at the moment, as I think I have an unsafe blood pressure at the moment.

EDIT: Actually I can assist you with all of them, but that doesn't mean i can be screwed.

Heath that doesnt sound good mate!! Hope everything is all good. Thats fair enough cos you have your own project to work on to! :spoton:

#81 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

I'm back around the place now, Leigh, so just give me a date and an address and I'll try to be there. About the engine stand, I know my brother has one but I think he's using it to hold a Chev big block at the moment, so it won't be available for awhile. Or do you already have one?
I can give you a hand with just about everything on that list. I'm working in the industrial sector at the moment, so strength isn't a problem :P
Talk soon,
Cheers,
John
Not sure if my dad has a MIG, but I'll ask him. Might be able to get it for a day or two! :spoton:

Gday John

I do have access to an engine stand from a mate however i dont have a crane. Sounds very promising! :clap:
I have had a mate come round about a month ago who is a fitter and turner apprentice and has offered his welding expertise however he is busy just about every weekend of the year!! I havent heard back from him so if you could get your dads MIG for even just a day that would be awesome!! :spoton:
Im not sure about this coming Saturday yet but will keep you all informed! Oh and is anyone going to the Lancefield swap meet this Sunday? Unfortunately i have work :(

Cheers

#82 _wanna-torana_

_wanna-torana_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:22 PM

G'day Leigh,
I talked to my dad about the welder, it's not a MIG, it's an arc welder. However, my older brother Greg has a MIG down in Lara, I'll see if I can shoot down there next time I'm down that way and pick it up.
Let us know next time you're not working on a Saturday and we'll tee something up.
Cheers,
John

#83 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

well today has been a very exciting day! :D I wasnt planning on doing anything major to the torana as have been out the last two nights in a row and was pretty stuffed, and also because i was home with my sister and had to take her to work and what not.

BUT one of my mates from school came round to pick up a fire drum and he said he would gladly help me remove the 6! I had already planned to pick up the engine crane so this was a bonus.

Anyway, the 6 and 3 speed have successfully been removed and have already found themselves a new home with my mate that helped me with the removal. I was happy that it wasnt left sitting around in the yard, and he was happy cos he now has a good runner for his HJ wagon. :rockon:

Heres some pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also removed the front windscreen to reveal what mess was behind it only to find that it was reasonably rust free!!! :spoton:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Cheers!

#84 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:28 PM

quick update

I have had a pretty busy weekend, including working both Saturday and Sunday but one of my mates still had time to bring his MIG around and give me a hand with the rust repairs. We decided to start on the bonnet hinges and as we didn't have a great deal of time only got the passenger side one done. Am very happy with the weld job he has done, and it has plenty of penetration :spoton:

Pics to come tomorrow sometime when i get home from uni. next thing to do is grind the welds down and finish it off. what do you all use as a filler once grinded down? should i get some BOG or some of that fiber glass stuff?

Thanks Leigh

#85 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:18 PM

I thought that bog was fibreglass?

Lookin good mate. Make sure you use the 1mm cutting discs. They are awesome :)

Keep us posted!

#86 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:30 PM

^ im not sure azza, i havent looked into it at all and know nothing about the stuff. yes deifinately using the 1mm thick cutting discs, they are bloody awesome!! :spoton:

#87 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

just thought id show everyone who frequents this thread a photoshop of my car that a very kind forum member did for me in the photoshop thread. i think it looks fantastic! what are everyones thoughts?

Posted Image

#88 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:32 PM

Looks sick, do it!

#89 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:16 AM

Bog and Fibreglass are completely different things...

I'm using 'contour restorer' (sounds better than 'bog') on my LJ. Bog doesn't cover you in little fibres when you work with it, and they itch like all hell!

Tim

#90 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:38 PM

Looks nice try diff wheels tho they just dont look 100%

#91 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:23 PM

Looks nice try diff wheels tho they just dont look 100%

yeah? i thought that those wheels really complimented the blackouts and colour. any suggestions? i really like the look of GTS rims but thats out of the question as i will be sticking with torana pattern. Those prostars that RIM had on his that didnt fit look nice and i also like the look of the rebel wheels on this members ride:
Link

As for the contour restorer and fibre glass, which one lasts longer? i wouldnt be wrong in saying that contour restorer is easier to work with would i?

pics coming very soon of the patch! :spoton:

#92 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

double post

Edited by toryman76, 26 March 2007 - 07:07 PM.

#93 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

hmmm, familair looking wheels! you wont get them in torana pattern either. looks good.
bog is shit, if you need to use anything use glass filler. the only "bog" in my car is glazing putty

#94 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:57 PM

bummer!! but thanks for the info makka. the only "bog" that will be going into the car will be to smooth over the grinds after the patches have been welded in. or will a coat of high fill take care of this?

#95 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:17 PM

heres a couple of quick pics i took tonight. i havent grinded the weld down yet so instead of leaving it bare metal i gave it a quick going over with a can of paint:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cheers

#96 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

Did you cut that from another tory and weld it in?

Just a little tip I got told by my mate, dont try to weld to much at once otherwise you will warp the panel coz it gets too hot. Just do a little bit then stop and let it cool a bit, then do a bit more etc etc..

Looks killa mate, keep us posted :D

#97 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:10 PM

yes that section has been cut straight from another torana that was rust free and welded straight in. i have very minimal knowledge of welding so i wont be doing any of the welding personally. this was done by my mate whole is a 3rd yr (i think) boiler maker who has had a bit of experience with welding thin sheet metal like car bodies.

i watched as he welded and yes he welded small sections at a time about 15-20mm long and then moved onto a bit that was further around to allow the other section to cool some more. this technique seemed to be ok but i still think there was a bit too much heat going into it as you can see where i was pushing the backing plate with the back of a hammer to line it up straight. it has slight kinks in it.

Other then that i dont think the panel warped at all, but that wont be fully revealed until the welds are grinded back.

do you think it looks warped do you? because if it is i will let him know next time he comes around that he needs to do smaller sections. what also probably doesnt help is he is running 9mm wire through the machine which certainly isnt ideal, but he says he wont get 6mm wire as he will rarely use it. should i go out and buy some myself?

#98 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:17 PM

Hard to tell from those angles but it doesn't look warped..

Do you mean 0.9mm wire?

I am using 0.8mm wire but thats only coz it's in the mig. 0.9 should be allright though. Looks like hes done a pretty good job mate :)

#99 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

yeah 0.9 sorry!! my bad! :tease: Yes i was very happy with the result! but next time i will take more time out to line it up a bit better as this was sort of "rushed".

Cheers! :spoton:

#100 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

Bit of an update. Although i was given a weeks break over easter from uni i effectively only had one full free day which was today so instead of sitting inside and doing assignments i decided to go and have some fun and work on prepping some rust repair sections for next time my 'welder' is available.

today i have removed the old rusted lower radiator support section that was full of rust holes and have removed the replacement section from the spare. i have wire wheeled the surface rust and sanded away the flakey paint and put a coat of rust converter on it. i have only done this to one side so far, heres a few pics of that:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also have the other bonnet hinge ready to be welded in too. heres some pics of that:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Heres a shot of the inner seat mounts i removed today ready to weld in too. damn bench seat cars....

Posted Image

Cheers Leigh

Edited by toryman76, 10 April 2007 - 09:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users