Photo

2007 Australian Muscle Car Masters

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#51 _GTR_069_

_GTR_069_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:56 PM

Top day out there and hats off to all the historic cars that go out and entertain us, great to see and what better way to spend fathers day then a weekend in Sydney and a day out at the creek

Sadly only two bad results. pre entered to avoid queues of ppl like last year and we got charged an extra $5 each, normally you get it cheaper, so as a group $20 more

And show bag was a bit on the cheap side too, paid more got less, But better cars and fun, saldy there is no more club display inside so clubs have to parks on the dry dusty hill

Oh how about the $200, 000 Warwick HK, mmmmmmmmm Lovely, wish ours was as tidy, sandle trim let it down though

GTR

#52 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:26 PM

That was a top 8 lap race Greg, you were on fire! An awful of more powerful and big $ cars were behind you. Great stuff!

#53 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:33 PM

Sounds like they put on another great show, I'm really going to have to make it up there next year.

Well done Greg, sounds like you had a ball! Hopefully someone has some happy snaps to share :D

#54 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

It was an excellent day, brought my father along and we had a ball, have to say though when we left home it looked like it was going to rain, so we are a bit red faced now as we didn't take any sunscreen.

I have some footage of some of the race's, but only clips of them as they were taken on my digital camera, 82911, if you let me know what number your car was i can try and get them to you one way or another, it was great to see the GT's & XU1's battling out on the track.

RED, I spent a fair bit of time admiring the A9X's & L34's :D , however as I didnt know which red NSW A9X was yours and the fact that i had never met you, I didnt want to go around asking too many people which car they owned in case they got Suss, suffice to say I was one of the guys drooling over them.

There was a dark orange L34 there, do you know what colour that is exactly?

I will definetely b attending next year!

#55 _LXBren_

_LXBren_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

Yeah.....caught up with a few people from here over the weekend......
A good day for us as well with the final race being a ding dong battle for 8 laps with a GTS Monaro,XU-1(me), XU1 and a Gt Falcoon. 8 laps flat out 2' apart at well over the double ton and not a scrape. A highlight was 3 wide at turn 1 at over 200K's with 2 other XU-1's... I can only hope someone with a camera snapped a shot of that one... classic!!
That was one of the best races I have ever had....
Result 7th out of 43 starters... so yeah we're happy!
New PB lap time of 1.50 as well :spoton:

Cheers Greg..

you did well. such a great race. In fact it was a bloody good day!

#56 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

Yep fantastic day... Yep I saw your last race Greg.. it was a cracker...
I had a quick look at most of the cars on display and spoke to some of the NZ guys about there torries.. they go great and all sound fantastic. I spent most of my day watching in the grandstand as a Spectator... which is something I dont normally get to do... so it was a good relaxing day of fine muscle car motorsport :clap: :clap: :spoton:

Of course some of the guys that met me there asked if I was racing today... but no my car isnt eligible.. I even asked to be apart of the NZ boys but was told no.. anyhow maybe next year.

#57 _LXBren_

_LXBren_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

Now I really hope they televise it! :spoton:

u would hope so. TV would help draw the formula 5000 from NZ too

#58 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:30 PM

Just got back to the Gold Coast, was an excellent day. I believe channel 7 are televising it the weekend before bathurst.
Will catch up with you again at Newcastle howard.

#59 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:46 PM

Slideshow of my pics
http://s43.photobuck...nt=6cbf38a2.pbw
And here
http://s43.photobuck...nt=57e1cce8.pbw
Some video footage also
Posted Image
And here
Posted Image

And 1 more
Posted Image

#60 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:38 PM

Anybody see the Kiwi muscle cars race? If so, How did they do. Did they look all right?

#61 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

They did real well and looked really well presented, sounded pretty good too :spoton:

#62 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:24 PM

I had a discussion with a few members about the AMCM for next year, and I think as far as club displays go, this year was seriously down on numbers. In 2005, the entire skid pan area was taken up by road cars. In 2006 the areas were extended as so many cars had entered, but this year, almost the entire skid pan area was race cars. I walked over to the "coral area" and there were only a hand full of cars there. The area was certaily not fantastic for displaying of cars, most were covered in dirt. The cars in that area were supposed to have access to the track for laps, however, due to a lack of access, that didn't happen. An access road was supposed to have been built, but it wasn't for whatever reason. I think it's a shame because while it's fantastic to have more race cars, we need to support the road cars as well. Realistically, the race cars will get preference. The event is run by the ARDC, not by Muscle Cars Magazine. The ARDC is about racing, it's as simple as that. There is not enough hard stand area to support both road and race cars if this event continues to grow in the way it has, but could Eastern Creek justify spending the money to concrete more areas just for this event? All things to think about I guess for next year.

#63 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:58 PM

I asked a mate in the Monaro club if they were going to display and he said it was only for 'black' cars (or Falcon GT/A9X). I recall seeing something along those lines in the AMC mag?

#64 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

Whilst i agree with what you are saying Red. The ARDC is not entirely about supporting the racers....we were copping it too.......
If you knew the trouble we had getting our "tender vehicles" into the pits on the sunday morning you would be astonished... :blink:
I know I was, when I was told by security staff to park my car outside and carry my spares, jacks, stands, tools, tyres,wheels... etc...etc to my pit area!!
Yes, the car had the correct competitor sticker on the screen and i had the correct documents as well....
So whilst these events are good, exposure wise; from a racers point of view, there are at least 12 other meetings a year that we can race at, where we are welcomed, not made to deal with arogant/incompetent event staff and security. Yes unfortunately the "rot" goes all the way to the top.......I, along with 5 other racers raised the issue and were "fobbed off", quite rudely infact! :furious:
Perhaps the event organisers need to realize that without the support of the road cars AND the racers, there event will lose momentum and eventually fall over. Nobody is going to pay to see the Bowdens display every year, year after year, no matter how good it is........
Rant over... :D
The ontrack action more than made up for the above......... :rockon:

Cheers Greg..

#65 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

There were different themes allowed in this year,factory black cars, XR GT, Charger, Brocks and A9X. Next year could be something different. If there was more room it wouldn't be an issue.

#66 _Fairdinkum_

_Fairdinkum_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:31 PM

I think it's a shame because while it's fantastic to have more race cars, we need to support the road cars as well. Realistically, the race cars will get preference. The event is run by the ARDC, not by Muscle Cars Magazine. The ARDC is about racing, it's as simple as that. There is not enough hard stand area to support both road and race cars if this event continues to grow in the way it has, but could Eastern Creek justify spending the money to concrete more areas just for this event? All things to think about I guess for next year.

I agree Mick, it is a shame and they should support the road going versions of these rare cars.It does seem the road cars are dwindling at this event and the race cars are taking over,,,,,wasnt the A9X club formally invited to attend this show as some form of special guests to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the A9X?? pretty sure not to many members felt special, especially before we were asked to move in the morning ?.......Probably get to the point where the ARDC will piss off enough road car owners that the numbers will get even lower for the road going versions.But i suppose you like it or lump it,pretty sure there was a few pissed of road going car owners there yesterday.And to be honest i'll stick to my road car anyday.......In saying all that i had a very enjoyable day.

#67 _Fairdinkum_

_Fairdinkum_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:45 PM

Whilst i agree with what you are saying Red. The ARDC is not entirely about supporting the racers....we were copping it too.......
If you knew the trouble we had getting our "tender vehicles" into the pits on the sunday morning you would be astonished... :blink:
I know I was, when I was told by security staff to park my car outside and carry my spares, jacks, stands, tools, tyres,wheels... etc...etc to my pit area!!
Yes, the car had the correct competitor sticker on the screen and i had the correct documents as well....
So whilst these events are good, exposure wise; from a racers point of view, there are at least 12 other meetings a year that we can race at, where we are welcomed, not made to deal with arogant/incompetent event staff and security. Yes unfortunately the "rot" goes all the way to the top.......I, along with 5 other racers raised the issue and were "fobbed off", quite rudely infact! :furious:
Perhaps the event organisers need to realize that without the support of the road cars AND the racers, there event will lose momentum and eventually fall over. Nobody is going to pay to see the Bowdens display every year, year after year, no matter how good it is........
Rant over... :D
The ontrack action more than made up for the above......... :rockon:

Cheers Greg..

100% agree with 82911,,very well said.
When entering the event i was told to park in a different area to what our information sheet said that they sent us in the mail ,when i tried to explain this to two security guards they were rude and sent me away,30 mins later they got us all to move to another area.Give some people a uniform and they think there god.

#68 _LXBren_

_LXBren_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:32 AM

I certainly hope these things get sorted out for next year as it would be such a shame to see the demise of such a great event. As far as displaying road cars it was a bit of a mess and it seemed disorganised.

Maybe they could rotate the cars through? like 9.30 - 11 one lot 11.15 - 12.45 another. 1pm - 2.30 another and then finally have the "peoples pick" from each group (top 2 or 3 most voted cars from each time slot)displayed together at the end. maybe?

once more . . . HOW GOOD WAS THE QUALITY OF RACING - bloody fantastic!

I took a mate who was little reserved about going and he didn't stop raving about it.

#69 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:56 AM

I wondered why no-one displayed their cars where the A9X's were last year?
Seemed a wasted area and at least it didnt have the dust problems like the outside of the track.

#70 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:58 AM

The dust problem is exactly why I didn't attend. It seems that the road cars are becoming a secondary focus, but I thought the focus was on Australian Muscle Cars?? race OR road??

The week before I attended the Shannons Eastern Creek classic at the same venue - OVER 1700 cars and none parked on the hill on the opposite side of the track on a crappy and dusty hill. AMC event management (read commercial entity) charges $35.00 for you to park your car in a dusty craphole so they can make money through gate takings. With these road cars increasing in value it would appreciated if they showed some more respect for owners, or they'll end up with a lot less support.

amazing picture - XU1's parked in a cow paddock @ $35.00 per spot. Priceless - NOT :fool:

Posted Image

At the Shannon's event EVERY car got the opportunity to have a run on the track, and all went smoothly - why can't the AMC guys achieve the same level of organisation? Too busy counting the cash I'd reckon....................... :gun:

Cheers,

Craig.

Edited by CraigA, 04 September 2007 - 09:10 AM.

#71 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:44 AM

The dust problem is exactly why I didn't attend. It seems that the road cars are becoming a secondary focus, but I thought the focus was on Australian Muscle Cars?? race OR road??

The week before I attended the Shannons Eastern Creek classic at the same venue - OVER 1700 cars and none parked on the hill on the opposite side of the track on a crappy and dusty hill. AMC event management (read commercial entity) charges $35.00 for you to park your car in a dusty craphole so they can make money through gate takings. With these road cars increasing in value it would appreciated if they showed some more respect for owners, or they'll end up with a lot less support.

amazing picture - XU1's parked in a cow paddock @ $35.00 per spot. Priceless - NOT :fool:

Posted Image

At the Shannon's event EVERY car got the opportunity to have a run on the track, and all went smoothly - why can't the AMC guys achieve the same level of organisation? Too busy counting the cash I'd reckon....................... :gun:

Cheers,

Craig.

yes i took my commodore down and the dust over it was bull shit.
btw craigA nice photo lol

#72 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:44 AM

Good spot to watch the racing from though....Craig you would have got a good look from up there at me sticking the nose of the XU-1 under Michael Kennedy's GT falcon at turn 12 about 5 times in 6 laps! :rockon: So there was some consolation, sit in the car and watch the racing!

Cheers Greg..

#73 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:27 AM

Good point Greg, but the windows would have been fogged up from the steam coming out of my ears as the XU1 became a large red dust collection unit.

Photo credit to LX5008, as always LOTS of good event photos in his photbucket album.

#74 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

It's interesting to note that people who were on the infield also felt like second-class citizens. The display area was poorly arranged, with not all cars being together. Mark Oastler was made aware of feedback on the Brockcommodores forum, and sent the following reply:-

"I was pleasantly surprised to read the constructive criticisms about Muscle Car Masters posted on the Brock Commodores Forum and I thank all of you for taking the time to comment. I can fully understand the general opinion that the road car displays seem to be getting squeezed out by the race cars in the paddock area - because that is exactly what's been happening! This is what I call 'growing pains'.

"In only three years, the popularity of the event and the number of racing entries has already far exceeded our initial forecasts and we already know that more cars will be competing next year, so the space problem is only going to get worse. However, that doesn't mean we regard road cars as being less important than race cars - to me they are of EQUAL importance to the event's success.

"Basically, the event is now bursting at the seams. Some would say that's a nice problem to have, but it does present a major challenge to event organisers because there is a limited amount of sealed parking space at ECR and as you know a race car takes up more space than a road car (tools, tow cars, trailers etc). This year we tried to limit the number of road car displays to find a happy medium but clearly we're not there yet. I will be raising this issue at our first event debrief and I think a possible solution could be the excellent idea suggested by one Forum contributor, to hold a separate day over the MCM weekend just for muscle car clubs and track parades (provided we had enough support).

"I also noted a comment about the tribute to Brocky. We initially considered a one minute silence etc but later we figured that such solemn marks of respect had already been paid at his State funeral, pre-Bathurst 1000 etc in the immediate wake of his death and that one year later we just wanted to get on and start celebrating the great man and his great cars. The HDT turn-out was very impressive and the cars sure looked fantastic on display and on the track.

Anyway, I thank you all for attending and supporting the event. I will now dedicate a lot of time to finding a solution to the space problems at MCM for next year. I promise you we are doing our very best to make the event work for ALL muscle car enthusiasts - not just racers!
Cheers,
Mark Oastler
Editor
AMC"

It's good to know that feedback has been received. Now for the solution.....

#75 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:03 PM

i bet he didn,t have his own car parked on the hill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users