93 replies to this topic

#51 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

It is good to finally see some pictures. It is very disappointing that we can not get a straight answer out of K-MAC. According to Kevin at K-MAC the design has not changed since 1977 however I was under the impression that this is the 1977 design which is clearly different to the design above. I think I will have engine clearance problems with the new design.

Posted Image

SSL31, I would be interested to know what offset rims and hubs you are using, to see if the tyre rub will be a problem for my setup.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 13 May 2007 - 05:43 PM.

#52 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

What is the smallest tyre you can fit safely on a 15 x 10 rim?

Smallest in width?

Ta

Welby

#53 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:23 PM

285 isn't it ?

#54 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:32 PM

Correct ..according to Tuckeys Dunlop Racing.
R
(You are SSSOOO smart and sexy!!...Does this get my braided lines cheaper?)

#55 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

Hmmm, Plan G out the window.

#56 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

Just do what I do...Turn up to scrutt with the right tyres..Then swap on the race day to the 285...not a problem unless anyone protests..most of them dont know how to do it anyway......I do.......used to do it all the time in bike racing to piss people off...Did you know back then...for $25...each...you could make half the field do a top end pull down...it was a pisser!..After 3 of those they never bitched about our bikes being faster than the field again. :spoton:
R

#57 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

OK..old secret...dont tell Datto...Hand grooved slicks...and hand file the "Not For Road Use"..off the sides of the tyres..(scruts will never know anyway)But I didnt tell we did this and Dunlop have no records of any employment of me or any of my relatives.
R

Edited by rorym, 13 May 2007 - 06:44 PM.

#58 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:06 PM

It is good to finally see some pictures. It is very disappointing that we can not get a straight answer out of K-MAC. According to Kevin at K-MAC the design has not changed since 1977 however I was under the impression that this is the 1977 design which is clearly different to the design above. I think I will have engine clearance problems with the new design.

Posted Image

SSL31, I would be interested to know what offset rims and hubs you are using, to see if the tyre rub will be a problem for my setup.

its good to see some pics from my photobucket helping people out.

#59 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

OK..old secret...dont tell Datto...Hand grooved slicks...and hand file the "Not For Road Use"..off the sides of the tyres..(scruts will never know anyway)But I didnt tell we did this and Dunlop have no records of any employment of me or any of my relatives.
R

We have to use 8" rims for motorsport

I think Welby is rethinking the street wheels

#60 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

Ahh! Shit! Just turn up with 10"..get disqualified and laugh all the way to the trophy presentation. :clap:
R

#61 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:11 PM

Posted Image

its good to see some pics from my photobucket helping people out.

I think that this design above is a modified version of a k-mac bar done by the owner of that particular group c car. The guys name is Michael Ward, he owns Wardsport and once worked for K-mac many moons ago.

The design has certainly changed many times since the 70's. Mate of mine bought a front bar for his hatch, then less than 6 months later I requested the exact same bar, but recieved something different!!

Followup calls on this and my dissatisfaction of the overall quality (or lack of!) fell on deaf ears, and basically gave me the whole "these bars were in the top 6 finishers of bathurst in 79" or whatever, and told I was stuck with it......

Dave

#62 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:32 PM

^standard k-mac speil given to any request for information.
they did however sell me the brackets seperately but sent 2/3rds of what i ordered then rectified the problem.

#63 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

From the looks of it, back in the day most of the teams used the k-mac bar and just made their own brackets and links to thier spec, that were a bit more heavy duty etc... So perhaps comparison (of the race cars) is really pointless...

#64 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

The point of comparing the race car is that every time you ring KMAC for information regarding the swaybar you get this response.

Yes, we make them!!
Same as we supplied to Peter Brock and the first 6 over the finish line at Bathurst in 1977

If you then ask for pictures or measurements the answer is no. Now we find that the design has changed several times ( 355LX ) and no-one is sure what you will get if you order one.

#65 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:17 AM

I dont think you will find that many of the teams ran the setup exactly as supplied by K-mac... Most of the pictures I have seen supplied by the guys have shown alot of variation in the main support bracket that locates the bar to the body, quite often square tube, and the cups that hold the rubber bush are beefier (for strength?) but nothing like anything I have seen supplied by k-mac...

I understand there was some variation in this area with the package sold to the public, but nothing like what we have been looking at here... Perhaps its not correct for them to be saying "as supplied to Peter Brock to win bathurst", might be in overall design but not necc in specific components...

I'm sure some of the older heads here may be able to clarify..?

#66 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:02 PM

I understand there was some variation in this area with the package sold to the public, but nothing like what we have been looking at here... Perhaps its not correct for them to be saying "as supplied to Peter Brock to win bathurst", might be in overall design but not necc in specific components.

Just because the customer modifed what was supplied does not make Kmacs statement incorrect.

#67 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:15 PM

At this rate it might be easier to get Andrew at Milton to get some made like his Group C one. At least then I would know what I am getting.
R

#68 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

The statement may be arguably correct but it is also misleading.

According to 355LX KMAC have changed the design recently, without notice and refused to take the product back. ( See post above )

All KMAC have to do is provide pictures of the product they intend to deliver to the customer, so we know what we are buying. Instead all KMAC do is recite this useless statement.

#69 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

It could be easier to buy the Whiteline one and redo/strengthen the arm and mount brackets and still be cheaper.
R

Edited by rorym, 14 May 2007 - 02:36 PM.

#70 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

They also say that they are no longer available off the shelf, so they are now made to order only. So if there are none on the shelf, there is nothing to photograph, is there? And if they are made to order, then they are non-returnable unless defective. Correct? So if somebody wants one, they will have to order and pay for it whether they like the end result or not. As it appears Kmac will not be altering their policy, further whinging in this thread is pointless. So either somebody is going to either have to order a Kmac one or get somebody to make one based on photos.

So stop typing and start ordering. Unless nobody really wants one...

#71 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

But there is 2 forward mount types on their website...There is a forward mount non adjustable one available also..It has eyelets on the ends of the bar not the sliding adjustable end. Now, if this comes with the same front mounting and bottom arm brackets..at $195 it is a nick...but we will never know as we dont have any pics. Does anyine live near KMAC in Sydney they could look for us or drop in there?
R

Edited by rorym, 14 May 2007 - 03:03 PM.

#72 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

Just because the customer modifed what was supplied does not make Kmacs statement incorrect.

Depends on the exact wording of the statement from k-mac, I'm only going on what people have said k-mac have told them....

A modified k-mac kit is not the same as a kit used as supplied by them...

#73 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:21 PM

Torana Replacement/Bolt on Adjustable

*Front LH, UC, LX, A9X 201211 $195 $465 24mm
*Rear 201121 $195 $395 18/20

* Bathurst design, adjustable F/R
As used by the first 6 Place getters 1977

That reads to me they are the same kit..one adjustable and the other non adjustable.
R

#74 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

I ran one of the KMAC direct replacement non-adjustable bars at one stage, was rear mount, same as the factory bars. I thought all their front mount bars were adjustable?

Imho if KMAC supplied the bar kit and the team modified it before using it then that doesn't alter the fact KMAC supplied the bar kit. KMAC don't claim the team(s) used them out of the box.

#75 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

I dunno...I am starting to lean to the Whiteline then do my own mods to it..i.e. brackets fabricated for the lower arms and "L" shaped front brackets.
R

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users