- - - - -

My Pro street style rear end

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#51 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:58 PM

hey thanks, i have no background in welding or anything, i just picked it up along the way. ive always loved cars and just read alot of magazines and books and just teach myself pretty much.

i used a QA1 mounting kit, comes with all you need. the brackets are 1/4 inch thick steel i think.

i used a 125LB spring, one of the salesman at VPW gave me a call and worked out 100lb by some formula so i just went with the 125lb springs and ill see how it goes.

#52 Stedz_lc

Stedz_lc

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:52 AM

Hrmm interesting im using a 200lbs spring i went that way c how it goes i guess hopefully not to stiff

#53 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:58 PM

hey thanks, i have no background in welding or anything, i just picked it up along the way. ive always loved cars and just read alot of magazines and books and just teach myself pretty much.

Well thats even better work you've done there then mate, keep it up!

#54 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

#55 _lcv871_

_lcv871_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:34 PM

that looks tops im might have have to get the grinder out i think......
good job

#56 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:18 PM

Making an effort like that just winging it, you should be encouraged so we can see what you'll come up with next. Did you just use a spot welder to tack it into place then a mig on a really low setting?

#57 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

i tacked it in place with a mig, then stitch welded it in place with the mig :)

#58 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:44 PM

:rockon:

#59 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:51 AM

Fuel cell is all plumbed and ready to fill with some premium unleaded. but that will have to wait till theres an engine between the rails.
Posted Image

#60 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

Keep up the good work mate.

#61 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

i hate polishing alloy
Posted Image

#62 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

Now you just need an inj V8 in it!

#63 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:51 PM

hehe naa goin injected 6. u got any spare 28 spline LSD centres big al??

#64 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:56 PM

I've got one but its going into a 9" for my LC.

You may as well go a inj V8. That fuel system and mini tubs are set-up perfectly for one.

#65 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:59 PM

that would be big bucks to dit tho wouldnt it? and engineering is reallllllllllllly hard now

#66 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

spent all day today trimming the tubs and the boot floor. now just gotta trim where the back seat used to be
Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

that would be big bucks to dit tho wouldnt it? and engineering is reallllllllllllly hard now

It would probably cost less than whatever 6 cyl efi set-up you're thinking about putting in it. Engineering for a V8 is pretty easy to pass, you just need a V8 gearbox, diff and brakes and a couple of LH/LX uni joints in your steering shaft. They can engineer it for all that at the same time you get your 9", tubs and cage engineered.

Your boot is looking great now mate. I can't wait to see the rest of it, especially if you go as V8 conversion as it will be one tidy car.

#68 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

I forgot to add, to pass an engineer's report, you need to be able to fill the fuel tank/cell from the outside of the car, like with the boot closed so you might have trouble engineering it wit that fuel cell in there. I think most people put them in after its been engineered.

#69 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

thats why if he just sticks the six in it he wont have to get it engineered. and if he does get defected, well ohhh well. think i had this conversation with him when i was picking up the diff i bought.

and also already has majority of the bits he needs to do the injected six.

#70 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:52 PM

How do you expect him to pass a pink or blue slip with no engineer's report for a 9 inch, mini tubs and coil overs? Then there is the fuel cell as well. This car needs to be engineered. If he doesn't engineer it and gets in an accident, what happens then? Insurance doesn't pay out if its not your fault and no matter what, you'd have to pay for the damage to the other car/s. You don't have a clue mate.

#71 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

his words not mine MATE. we had a discussion about it when i was at his house.

#72 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

I'm obviously using the term mate a bit too casually when referring to you. It doesn't matter who said what. The facts are the facts. No engineer's plus an accident equals you pay everything because the car isn't legal. An engineer's report for a 9 inch, mini tubs and coil overs should be relatively cheap and if its all been done properly, should pass with no hassles. The fuel cell is another matter.

#73 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

the fuel cell will pass if all the holes in the rear firewall are welded up

#74 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

the fuel cell will pass if all the holes in the rear firewall are welded up

Have you had one passed by doing this?

#75 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

mini tubs dont need engineering from what i heard. this car is barely driven and if it is, its usually only localy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users