Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:49 PM

Thanks gmhgtr that helps a lot.

Those scans confirm what I believe to be true. ie. that the all black cap (P/N 2816161) was around long before the Viv Antoniou book suggests. The P/N in question didn't appear in the catalogue that preceded the LC XU-1.

Here's my take on the matter - LC and LJ XU-1s probably left the factory with a plain black cap but (for reasons outlined by a number of people that worked in dealerships in the early '70s) , the cars may not have left the dealership with the same plain black cap.

It goes without saying of course that there will be some people who will still remain unconvinced.

Bazza

#27 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

G'day bazza,the fuel cap inserts are fitted on the lc and lj toranas,the inserts were a very tight fit,when fitted to the petrol cap,you had to use a small screw driver to push the insert abit at a time or it would bend easly,the photos of the other 3 inserts are all wrong,i have a fuel cap in my hands and had it for 28years.The factory black cap,fitted on my mates lj,has been on it for 34years,and insert never was fitted from factory,cheers.

#28 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

G'day bazza,the fuel cap inserts are fitted on the lc and lj toranas,the inserts were a very tight fit,when fitted to the petrol cap,you had to use a small screw driver to push the insert abit at a time or it would bend easly,the photos of the other 3 inserts are all wrong,i have a fuel cap in my hands and had it for 28years.The factory black cap,fitted on my mates lj,has been on it for 34years,and insert never was fitted from factory,cheers.

Hi frash

A nice close-up or scan of a genuine, bona-fide, "real deal" cap with a lion insert would be great. There are heaps of "genuine" lion caps sold on eBay, but the pictures are always fuzzy and crappy.

Thanks

Bazza

#29 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:56 PM

yeah what was from factory and when bought from the dealer is different, as things always get changed on a car no matter if it was 30 years ago or today, both you and tuffgong know your stuff!.

#30 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:49 PM

Posted Image
picture scanned from the "Holden Torana GTR XU-1 Book by Fiv Antoniou" 1984????

Edited by gmhgtr, 14 June 2007 - 07:52 PM.

#31 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:56 PM

Thanks gmhgtr

I already have the book. I'm looking for a close-up pic or scan of an original.

Bazza

#32 _dhufish_

_dhufish_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:02 PM

Hi there,

Looking at your initial pics my LJ xu1 cap matches the one on the left. Had cap for approx 15 years. It also looks the same as this interesting paperweight I spotted on e-bay a while ago:
item number 260122308432

I have not seen the rare spare inserts but I do have a spare cap with no insert and plan on getting one or painting it black to interchange.

#33 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

Thanks gmhgtr

I already have the book. I'm looking for a close-up pic or scan of an original.

Bazza

nah no worries, just thought it put it up for others to see, only time will tell, there is bound to be one somewhere around.

#34 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

Hi

Thanks to 'frash da bucket' John, I have included below a comparison between the available cap inserts. It looks like the current Rare Spares is a good copy but the lion seems to be overly muscular and its mane seem to be too detailed.

It would be easy to be trapped on eBay or at swap meets.

Bazza

Posted Image

#35 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

yeah you would be quite fooled on ebay aye!,
would not be a good feeling either to pay big $$$ for a rare spares rip off in other words.

#36 MustardGTR

MustardGTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Car:72 GTR, 73 GTR

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:47 PM

I have an original and the current rare's repro lion inserts infront of me and the one obvious difference is the diameter. The repro is just under 64mm dia. while the original is just over 65mm dia. Also the original is printed/ embosed on a 'Scotch No. 467' transfer media (Scotch logo is visible on the backing of the original). The reproduction is not marked (i.e no brand).
I will try and post an image shorly.
Might be something to ask if enquiring on ebay?

#37 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:17 AM

Thanks MustardGTR

That info is good to know. I can see in the pictures that the original fits without a gap around the edge.

There was an insert on eBay recently - the seller couldn't guarantee that it was original but he did say that it had a Scotch 3M peel off on the back - I guess I should have bought it.

Bazza

#38 _GTR_069_

_GTR_069_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

Hi guys long time no posts, going through old post and glad to be back

Busy with weather and fleet

Looking at these caps wow what a difference, we were looking for one of these for dads LC he never had one fitted only a genuine GMH locking silver cap, then we found this

ebay item number : 250102684737

Looking at the pictures seems to be an original and sure as hell looks better then pictures its an original and suits car perfectly, you pick and finishes off back end perfectly

And Oh what a good buy

Thanks
GTR

#39 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:19 PM

yeah they use the Thicker 3M stuff the originals,
yeah there have been a few good ones on ebay, that have gone for quite cheap,
just a 2600S insert sticker recently sold on ebay for $112
Item number: 300118581330
pretty good buy!
hows the car going?

i think the rarespares stuff has to be smaller, as you cannot copy GMH's items, and if you do with permission you musn't sell them at a proffit, so they make it smaller and sell it for a profit.

#40 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:22 AM

i think the rarespares stuff has to be smaller, as you cannot copy GMH's items, and if you do with permission you musn't sell them at a proffit, so they make it smaller and sell it for a profit.

That may explain why there are complaints about some Rare's products?
We should be grateful though that someone is doing what they can :spoton:
Rather than nothing.

#41 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:32 PM

Rather than nothing.

yep it would, you have to modify or resize the items,
yeah for sure, at least they do try and help, would take a while to get things up and running :spoton:

#42 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

Rather than nothing.

yep it would, you have to modify or resize the items,
yeah for sure, at least they do try and help, would take a while to get things up and running :spoton:
coulden't agree with you more mate. :D

#43 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

Well spotted on the new repo's, The original fills the cap and blocks the breather, the rares old style blocks the breather and is easly spotted as non original due to lack of detail, the new repo clears the breather has more detail but looks the ducks nuts. The simple fact is that the XU1 had a plain Black Cap which was replaced with a chrome one or lost at the servo or stolen. Locking caps were $10.00 from Nasco. It is funny how the tables have turned and Knibless rims and black caps are back in vogue. rgds Sunburst

#44 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:52 PM

Locking caps were $10.00 from Nasco. It is funny how the tables have turned and Knibless rims and black caps are back in vogue. rgds Sunburst

funny how locking caps are now $350 dollars :(, sucks really.
:spoton:

#45 goxu1

goxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:4/73 Cyan Metallic GTR XU-1

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

not sure if this helps or hinders , but I've got 3 NOS "lion" inserts that I've had for about 20 years and they have a plain backing paper. The "3300" and "1760" are on scotch 467 paper.

#46 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

not sure if this helps or hinders , but I've got 3 NOS "lion" inserts that I've had for about 20 years and they have a plain backing paper. The "3300" and "1760" are on scotch 467 paper.

may of all depened on the time of printing,
is the backing the same colour (i think brown?) as the 3M one? if so it could just be near the edge of the sheet/roll of vinyl that was used back then.

Edited by gmhgtr, 30 June 2007 - 07:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users