LC/LJ V8 vs 6 cyl

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#26 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:05 PM

A rotary's physical dimensions are very small and they use a front mounted crossmember. They would be the easiest to do a conversion with. 220kw? Is that at the wheels? It doesn't sound like a lot. Thats less than 300hp. I thought they made a lot more power than torque. Where did you get these figures from?

#27 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

yeah atw, friends S13 silvia that was off the top of my head. His torque is somewhere around 500+nm...its the blacktop motor with variable valve timing. It doesn't sound like a lot but in a light car... too much power can fork up the handling. A motor like that would be perfect for a circuit LJ/LC....or the Rotary. I've seen plenty of 13bt's in geminis (which are basically Toranas? lol :tease: )

Realistically to make a reliable sr20 you'd wanna keep it under 200kw...without going forged pistons etc. high mount turbo 250kw+.

Though to me, rotaries generally just aren't reliable enough to make a good street/track motor. It'd be good fun if fuel was cheap and I had had a few cars to play with.

#28 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

But if I hear an 8 on the street I instinctively turn to look and listen.

And thats all that matters, people looking and admiring. :spoton:

I drive a V8 commodore with a nice note, and i get no where near as much notice as i did when i had a simple exhaust tip on my snotter 4cyl magna.

as for the 6 Vs 8 argument, it comes down to what you planning to do with it, obviously if its pure speed your aiming for, a V8 has the most potential, but if its just a cruiser or even a daily, id say a 6 is best. Well of course personal preferance is what really decides what goes where...

im curious to know how much quicker a 6cyl tripple carb'd LC/LJ would go up against a v8 properly tuned LC/LJ. Any one got time slips for either?

cheers, mik.

#29 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

im curious to know how much quicker a 6cyl tripple carb'd LC/LJ would go up against a v8 properly tuned LC/LJ.  Any one got time slips for either?

cheers, mik.

You've got it around the wrong way mate, a V8 is the quicker one. A mate can get 11.20 out of his V8 LJ n/a V8. It depends on how you set it up though. Stall, diff gears, mini tubs, slicks, all play a part. A guy got 12.76 from his 6 cyl LJ, its in the drag racing section. 1.56 seconds over 400m is a massive difference.

#30 _barodaxu1_

_barodaxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:57 PM

V8 LJ is good for the quarter or for cruising, not too proctical for the corners though, had both, each has it's own purpose. Just my opinion.
Regards
barrodaxu1 :rolleyes:

#31 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

Its already been clearly stated that the V8's are perfect for circuit racing as well as qtr miles, it just depends on what you set them up for. Read the rest of the posts. Your V8 LJ was obviously not set up for taking corners too well.

#32 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

V8 LJ is good for the quarter or for cruising, not too proctical for the corners though, had both, each has it's own purpose. Just my opinion.
Regards
barrodaxu1 :rolleyes:

Have you driven one mate?

I had an awesome 6 cyl, great triple carby setup, and i thought id never have to get a v8, big fan of the under dog as someone else has already mentioned.

HOWEVER, once i got offered a v8 conversion, i thought yeh why not, and i wouldnt go back to a 6. The sound, the torque, and i dont notice ANY difference in handling (apart from not having a front sway bar, due to the twin pipes, but once i get one, it will handle as good as, if not better than the 6).

So for those who havent driven an lc lj with an 8, dont criticise it, cause you dont know what youre talking about!!

:rockon:

#33 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

Its just a natural progression from a 186 with CD's through a 202 with CD-2's to a 308. If Holden had actually produced the LJ GTR XU-1 series 2 V8, they would have smashed everyone at Bathurst and driving a 6 cyl LC/LJ now would be like driving a 4 cyl one, just not done.

#34 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

maybe they should have kept the 6.
gone to 234 or even 260ci.
I often wonder what that' be like. I mean look at the power the HEMI 245/265 made....
Does anybody else think abut a bigger holden 6. I mean when doing a 6 what option does 95% of people choose? 202. the biggest, so imagine a 260!

#35 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:36 PM

More cubes means more torque and lower revs. The fun thing about a Holden 6 cyl is revving it hard to 7500rpm+. If you take that away, you may as well just go for a V8. I'd go with a 186 over a 202 anyway.

#36 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

Touch'e A1!!
The SR20 Torana Alex talks of is the son of Mario who JBird bought his car off in Bundaberg..I have physically seen the car picking up some parts for Andrew at Milton..Beautiful paint, nice car..and fast too...
We have stopwatched mine at a flat 12 sec 1/4 hand held and I reckon I was late with a 3.08 diff...did it easy.....problem is wheelspin and holding it right at the traction point even with sticky tyres...best handling Torana I have ever own so far..L34 to come yet but I will back it against any 6 with the same driver at any track any day.
R

Edited by rorym, 17 July 2007 - 05:41 PM.

#37 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:44 PM

I can settle this once and for all.... :D
Here's what we do.
I have a dedicated race car that makes 250 odd HP @the wheels with a fully optimised 202.
Someone lend me a 308 that makes the same power I'll do the install and we will see what the lap times look like.
Simple hey! :spoton:
My money is on the 308......
lower centre of gravity, better polar moment (engine further back in chassis) and smoother torque delivery.
I rekon somewhere in the order of 3 seconds a lap faster at Eastern Creek.

Cheers Greg..

#38 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:00 PM

I will personally even let Greg drive it...there..we have a match up.
R

#39 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:06 PM

I don't want your car just the engine.... :tease:
otherwise we are back to comparing oranges and lemons!
well orange and yellow anyway.....

Cheers Greg..

#40 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

My money is on the 308......
lower centre of gravity, better polar moment (engine further back in chassis) and smoother torque delivery.
I rekon somewhere in the order of 3 seconds a lap faster at Eastern Creek.

Thats good enough for me. I'd take your opinion over the 15-17 year olds (plus some others who should know better) on the other side of the argument.

#41 _70rey_

_70rey_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

i think both have their advantages i personally love the 6 but i also cant get over the sound of a hotted up 8 running by or even at idol.

with technology these days u can get a 6 workin just as good an 8 can it all depends upon how deep ur pockets are and how good the guy building the car up is.

ive seen blokes spend 10 grand on an engine and it puts out half the horses it should.

#42 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:15 AM

As much as I loved my old triple webbered six going to a v8 was a natural progression.There is just more potential for power & streetability with a efi v8 than there was with the wild six I had in it.That & the car feels more stable with the v8 in it IMO.

Edited by gtrboyy, 19 July 2007 - 06:18 AM.

#43 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

There are plenty of good arguments for a V8 and only 'underdog' type arguments for a 6 cyl. If they go and handle better with a V8, why would you go for a 6 cyl?

#44 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:38 PM

Some people just like the sixes over V8's, weather they are faster or slower.

#45 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

i have both 6cyl lc and 8cyl lj i love them both but the 308 lj has awsome power to weight ratio as everyone has said you cant describe it you have to drive one to know what we are on about its a rush :rockon:

#46 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

theres nothing better than when a six cyl eats a v8.

#47 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

6 cyl vs. V8 LC/LJ, it will have to be a pretty heavily worked 6 cyl against a stock V8 to win.

#48 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:14 PM

Alex give up...99.9% of the comments here are from people who have never driven a V8 LC/J. Draglc and BullitV8 say it all...we are flogging a dead horse to the unknowing. :fool:
R

#49 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:16 PM

GO THE V8s!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

#50 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

Theres my MAN!!!..Where you been Dude?..A and I are getting punch drunk here..
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users