• Guests

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

hey I race a 6 and i backed you'se up!

Cheers Greg..

#53 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

bigalsarmy i see that you have a lj and lc with v8s, how fast are they over the 1/4 mile thats if you have raced them.

greg im with you all the way.

#54 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

hey I race a 6 and i backed you'se up!

Cheers Greg..

Yeah we decided to keep ya....
R

#55 _big_als_army_

_big_als_army_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

They are both in pieces. I never ran the LJ when it was last complete. I'll give it a go at the end of this next build. The LC has never been on the road since I've had it. I'd say the LJ will be good for mid 11's and the LC maybe low to flat 12's?

#56 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:27 PM

mid 11s and flat 12s are you talking full street trim.

Monkey you have raced at calder by any chance does your car have a scoop and weld wheels.

#57 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

We hand watched mine at flat 12 s and I reckon I was late..wheel spin is the problem..you need to practise your launches.
R

#58 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:54 PM

Is a V8 in an LC/LJ streetable - is there much range out of a tank of fuel or are they strictly go fast go hard type cars?

#59 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

Because you use higher gears and lower revs I would have thought you would increase mpg....but thats just me.
...all depends on your driving style...
R

#60 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:31 PM

Monkey you have raced at calder by any chance does your car have a scoop and weld wheels.

No scoop yet, has convo's.

#61 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

Back in the late 80's I owned an LJ XU1 lookalike with a mild 253 in it.
A mate who had owned a 72 XU1 drove it and his opinion was that top end power felt similar but the midrange was far better than his XU1.
Now this was a 253, imagine what a 308 would be like......

#62 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:07 AM

i love my 308 in my GTR, i used to have a 186 tripple carbs, solid cam, roller rockers. big head, all the shit, it was in the car running on the street for 12months and was gay compared to my mild 308 i put in later on.
the 308 pisses on the 6 and it doesent even have roller rockers or big cam yet. the 6 did 14.0sec pass with all the crap. the 308 has done 13.122 on street rubber and is almost standard compared to the 6. the 308 uses less fuel too.
after i did the conversion it drove pretty much the same but it does handle slighty better with the 8 in. ive had both in the same car the 308 wins easy. go the V8s :clap:

#63 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

Is a V8 in an LC/LJ streetable - is there much range out of a tank of fuel or are they strictly go fast go hard type cars?

I'm to the thinking that it would be more streetable (if you had good wheels and tyres) than a really hotted 6. A 300hp six will need a fairly aggressive cam whereas 300hp is considered kinda mild for a 308 and probably be a baby to drive in traffic.

#64 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:04 PM

There are plenty of good arguments for a V8 and only 'underdog' type arguments for a 6 cyl. If they go and handle better with a V8, why would you go for a 6 cyl?

Not everyone has a desire for a V8 or can they afford the conversion (in terms of can they do it themselves? or do they need a workshop to carry out the work?).
Im currently getting my uncle to build me a mild 202 and its lucky i have mates in automotive trades that can help me with the install of the new engine when its done, should only take a weekend (possibly nights after work to prep engine bay for paint, etc). I would love a V8 in my LJ but its just not fesable for some - you have to track down parts (incl a decent running engine that isnt on its last legs), relocate the steering column (cant be sure on this havent done conversion myself), install a chassis kit (not all states), upgrade brakes, get an engineer to sign off on it (good luck getting that doen first go lol), plus a whole host of other things. Whereas im spending $1.5-2k max on a brand spankers engine that will be my daily & hopefully put the wind up these commodore boy racers (sorry mums taxi racers lol).

A lot of the arguments stated in this thread are along the lines of "ive got a V8 so everyone else should too", no one is doubting the ability of an LC/LJ with V8, just some prefer a nice worked 6...

Just my 2c, will probably get corrected on about a thousand different things ive stated but meh.

Cheers,
Mick

#65 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

A lot of the arguments stated in this thread are along the lines of "ive got a V8 so everyone else should too", no one is doubting the ability of an LC/LJ with V8, just some prefer a nice worked 6...

Well said, some people like a 6 over a V8, not for the performance reasons but because they don't want to be the same as the other 400,000 odd hotted up V8 cars out there.

#66 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:01 PM

LOWS2 you make some good points im in south australia and my lj gtr 5 litre is one of only 4 legally registered here as it costs a lot to have them engineered $3500 then you have to hire out the drag strip so the engineer can do his lane change test theres another $1500 in south australia if you have a 308 in your lc-lj it has to have a chassis kit another $1700 so it does add up but mate is it worth every cent as you cant desribe what its like to open up the 650 double pumper and have the car just about wheel stand i have had lots of quick 6cyl but nothing comes close to a lc-lj with a nice worked v8 be it chev or holden its just power to weight ratio with small wheel base its as simple as that :rockon:

#67 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

There are plenty of good arguments for a V8 and only 'underdog' type arguments for a 6 cyl. If they go and handle better with a V8, why would you go for a 6 cyl?

Not everyone has a desire for a V8 or can they afford the conversion (in terms of can they do it themselves? or do they need a workshop to carry out the work?).
Im currently getting my uncle to build me a mild 202 and its lucky i have mates in automotive trades that can help me with the install of the new engine when its done, should only take a weekend (possibly nights after work to prep engine bay for paint, etc). I would love a V8 in my LJ but its just not fesable for some - you have to track down parts (incl a decent running engine that isnt on its last legs), relocate the steering column (cant be sure on this havent done conversion myself), install a chassis kit (not all states), upgrade brakes, get an engineer to sign off on it (good luck getting that doen first go lol), plus a whole host of other things. Whereas im spending $1.5-2k max on a brand spankers engine that will be my daily & hopefully put the wind up these commodore boy racers (sorry mums taxi racers lol).

Just my 2c, will probably get corrected on about a thousand different things ive stated but meh.

Cheers,
Mick

Lets not lose the point that Low2S delivers..for various resons..mainly $ ..an 8 isnt the go for some people..what I was saying is if you have the time, $ and the where with all..it is a great next stepping stone to get a really good handling car with heaps of grunt...maybe experience something that 200 others unfortunately didnt ...me included, until I decided to build the car I always wanted to own.....(A1 is converted)...it is a personal choice...but one that leaves a grin from both ears when it happens...I would leave this thread by saying it is the ulitimate development of the LC/J Torana and one Harry wanted to happen...made..loved and watched it still born..hence he gave me great direction in making my car as close to his baby he wanted to come to life.....a true supercar that we never got to see on the road as a daily driver..we, as enthusiasts chose to make our dreams come true.........whether it be a 6 or 8...Love your car..make it a Torana..the rest is behind us. (If all that makes sense)
R

Edited by rorym, 26 July 2007 - 09:27 PM.

#68 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:54 PM

Lets not lose the point that Low2S delivers..for various resons..mainly $ ..an 8 isnt the go for some people..what I was saying is if you have the time, $ and the where with all..it is a great next stepping stone to get a really good handling car with heaps of grunt...maybe experience something that 200 others unfortunately didnt ...me included, until I decided to build the car I always wanted to own.....(A1 is converted)...it is a personal choice...but one that leaves a grin from both ears when it happens...I would leave this thread by saying it is the ulitimate development of the LC/J Torana and one Harry wanted to happen...made..loved and watched it still born..hence he gave me great direction in making my car as close to his baby he wanted to come to life.....a true supercar that we never got to see on the road as a daily driver..we, as enthusiasts chose to make our dreams come true.........whether it be a 6 or 8...Love your car..make it a Torana..the rest is behind us. (If all that makes sense)
R

Rory...You could be the stand-in for Mel Gibson in Braveheart.

I've always wanted a V8 LJ...maybe after I've cut my teeth on this hot 202...one day...One day...

#69 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:46 AM

well said Rory :spoton:

#70 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:05 AM

I"ve had both from LC with 253.up to 308 to worked 308 to mild injected 308 and now the car is back to 3100x,over a eighteen year period. I can say both combinations are great even our 2600s is surprising for what it is,whats best look at the prices.Not only are factory performance prices skyrocketing the other advantage of a six over an eight is that they are accepted on club rego $55 dollars a year(NSW) .and club rego insurance also cheap. This means even a strict car club would allow two door Toranas in with full Xu1 options,a few of these would inject life into any club! So it really depends on what you want , .Imagine six cars able to be driven on a regular basis with a rego cost of $330 a year.I may have to wait for my cam to come in,in top gear but that just adds to the nostalgic feeling of an old performance vehicle.If it is a second or two slower I"ve got time to wait. and if it"s only speed you want buy a drag car.

#71 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

I'm keeping my 6 for practicality, cost and originality. I still have my orig donk so I will keep this car that way. No plans to ever sell so perhaps in the future it will be worth something with orig gear. If i was to build another, 8 would be on the cards before another straight 6.

#72 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:40 PM

The bottom line is, if it"s a Torana your happy .And if I was to go another eight it would be a model with a factory eight to keep it simple.

#73 GTRXU1

GTRXU1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:05 AM

I am in the process of getting together all the bits and pieces to convert my 8/73 LJ GTR to an example of a prototype XU2. I am just curious were they looking at casting a stonger block like the XU-1 had to run a batch of V8 blocks.

Second to this I am on the hunt for a 308 block for around this time period....what block number am I looking at and from a Monaro??

thanks

#74 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:28 AM

Why bother with getting one from the same year or whatever? A 1973 308 is the same as a 1979 308... I still don't get why you have to do it to a GTR, but whatever...

Tim

#75 GTRXU1

GTRXU1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:06 AM

I appreciate you convictions Tim, mmm, prerogative springs to mind, we�re similar in almost everyway a �73 LJ 2 Door � Under Resto-Modification�. I read that right �modification� like you its about �choice��but whatever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users