#1 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:19 AM

Bought a set of Klippan belts for boy's hatch and had to drill out the mounts on the belts to fit them. Checked the part No. off the box and it was right. Anyone else had this problem? Not good to sell something that doesn't fit from the packet. Annoyed but not disheartened.
RACV MAN

#2 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:26 AM

You are correct even though it has the right number and for a Torana they dont fit, there was a discussion on the old forum regarding this.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:55 PM

Thanks. Just as well I had a half inch reduced shank drill bit.

RACV MAN

#4 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:32 PM

Apparently, there is a Klippan Mounting Kit (part number - K2887) that is supposed to get around the drilling out of the mounts. I too found this out too late and maybe should do the right thing and do it all again.

Tried looking through http://www.partsware...87&item=IT30517 and it does exist.

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:51 PM

Bought a set of Klippan belts for boy's hatch and had to drill out the mounts on the belts to fit them.

Not good,rip em out, start again. Who knows if they are engineered to be able to take the drilling out or that much metal going missing, Klippan couldnt/wouldnt tell me when I asked.
Just take em back and tell em they dont fit, they might not notice that you have drilled them.

#6 J-Rod

J-Rod

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:21 PM

so.. knowing that they may be unsafe you're happy to return them and have some unwitting person buy them and fit them?

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:06 PM

Good point, dont know if Id do that myself, but then again I wouldnt have drilled them out either. I suppose someone elses life is worth paying $80 or so for a new set, but really something the retailer should ultimately take on responsibility for? They probably said, here take these, they are listed to fit a torrie. They get up to 50% for doing nothing other than taking your money, but any probs and they want you to talk to the manufacturer - I wont wear that, I paid them the cash they should deal with it, thats part of being a retailer. If the product is no good, bad luck , thats tough for them, they should research their stuff and sell quality stock.
I know when i returned the pair I bought the retailer said "you simply drill them out" ........yeh sure

#8 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:23 AM

Its only a bit of plastic that needs to be removed from the hole, i just cut mine out with a knife.

#9 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:52 AM

Which part of the belt are you talking about Jewboy? On my one, the part I drilled 1/2 a mm bigger was the mounting plate (separate from the reel)...

#10 _SSHatch_

_SSHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

Its because of the size bolts that are now standard size for safety belts.

I had a massive arguement with them and actually had lawers involved as I ordered a special set of front belts that didnt have a stalk as per normal but an adjustable strap similar to the centre rear belt.

This was fine but yes the mounting holes were the wrong size, the supplied bolt would not fit and the had a drop loop section where they mount at the top of the pillar instead of the normal mount.
I was quite peeved as I had brand new belts that had to be bolted in with 27 year old bolts.

When I questioned them they refused to fix or replace the belts and after quite extensive arguements I finally gave up and have two brand new seat belts still sitting in my hallway, on the cupboard, that are completely useless to me and wont actually fit any particular model car that they know of!!

#11 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

If its a problem with just the webbing, Piss off the Klippan rubbish, and talk to Seatbelt Solutions in WA. They will legally re-web your belts, intertia reels or otherwise. They will re-use your hardware too so no changing stalks etc.

I know this is no good if your reels dont work, and i dont know who you'd be able to talk to to fix them!

All i know is when i contacted Klippan, they were less than helpful.

Cheers

#12 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

I wish rare spares would get in on the act here, Klippan arent obviously interested - I went through my 'drama' over 10 years ago with them.
But it looks like rares only sells the Klippan stuff or similar.
Surely there has gotta be a market for selling original spec seatbelts for the torrie and other holdens of that era which all use the same belt, cant stand the look of anything else in there. One item thats gonna wear out in a daily driver of 30+years is the drivers belt!, I reckon you could probably defect nearly every 2nd torrie on the condition of the drivers belt alone!
Or as Tiny suggested using a rewebbing company(good idea), pe rhaps a bigger company like rares could set up exchange belts here, Id imagine its not convenient for everyone to have the car off the road while their belts are sent to WA and back again.

#13 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:04 AM

I too fitted brand new Klippan seat belts to both my Torana's. Yep, had to file out the holes slightly bigger and use all the old bolts and circular washer things etc. What an absolute pain in the ass - you buy something BRAND NEW in this day and age when SAFETY is all the rage and you have to modify them to make them fit!!!!! I had often thought of approaching Klippan to ask if they were even aware of this, but obviously they are well aware of such things but don't give a sh*t anyway.

For the record - the amount of metal that needs to be removed is very minimal, and I believe does not have any affect on them from a safety point of view, but that's not the point is it. It's just ridiculous but oh well, I did it because I love the look and feel of brand new seat belts, it changes the whole feel of getting in a driving our "old" Torana's! Really helps gives the interior a modern feel, plus they are heaps more comfortable.

#14 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:25 AM

The part i trimmed was where it bolts to at the top of the pillar. My bro in laws fitted it before and it wouldn't swivel, just fixed in one position but then it wouldn't retract properly. I trimmed the hole (no metal removed just plastic) and used some spacers from belts i found at the wreckers and now works a treat.

Edited by Jewboy, 02 February 2006 - 12:27 AM.

#15 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:18 PM

Why isn't everyone complaining to Klippan?

We should all get in on this and get them to get their act together or better still lobby Rare Spares to come up with some decent replacements - you can put me down for a set as soon as they are ready and I'm sure they'll sell like hot cakes.

s

#16 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

Yeah i had the same problem with my seat belts in my hatch Brought them and had to make holes larger, drill out washers, Use my Original Bolts as the new ones wernt the right threads, Not impressed for the price!

wouldnt buy from them again as i also had to do exactly the same to a Celica that came into work, we even had to take the belt and get it re sized as it didnt retract the whole way :rolleyes:

Cheers ;)

#17 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:50 PM

For the record - the amount of metal that needs to be removed is very minimal, and I believe does not have any affect on them from a safety point of view, but that's not the point is it. It's just ridiculous but oh well,

You may well be right, it may not affect the safety, but I wouldnt gamble on this.
The hole comes as a 5/16 in(from memory) or is it 7/16 and needs to be drilled out to 1/2 in , correct me if Ive got this part wrong, but based on the former the hole is close to 2 and half times bigger in area than previously.
Also the stresses imposed by a domestic drill in close proximity to the load bearing area need also to be considered.......by both an engineer and metallurgist.

#18 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:34 AM

7/16" - 1/2"
RACV MAN

#19 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:23 PM

:D Thanks Rodomo

#20 _TRRANA_

_TRRANA_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

I almost bought a set off ebay. Glad i did some research first. The mods to fit seem not too hard but thats not the point.

Its a disgrace to mislead us in saying they fit toranas.

Has anyone purchased these belts recently? and have klippan corrected the fitment issue?

#21 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Not just Torana's either, I bought a set for my Gemini, had to drill out a couple of the holes and the bolts they supplied didnt match the threads in my car so had to use the old bolts :/

#22 _Trigger82_

_Trigger82_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

I had a lad come in to work today and return a Klippan belt i supplied him the other week not (torana related) cause it didnt fit he said he is trying this other mob he found

http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com.au/

he said he was talking to them and they actually sounded interested in helping him

For those chasing belts maybe give these guys a go

#23 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

Harden up everybody!
Its 60 seconds with a file
Klippan clearly stated this was required when I rang before I purchased the belts
They also clearly state this is an acceptable mod with no adverse effect on their function
Try ringing their technical line if you like, I found them very helpful.
R

#24 _TRRANA_

_TRRANA_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

Harden up everybody!
Its 60 seconds with a file
Klippan clearly stated this was required when I rang before I purchased the belts
They also clearly state this is an acceptable mod with no adverse effect on their function
Try ringing their technical line if you like, I found them very helpful.
R

Other mobs have been selling their belts with no clear statement of the mods required. Thats what some of us are sooking about

#25 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

If they know it has to be modded then why dont they fix it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users