Photo

Klippan seat belts

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

Brought some new belts for the LC a week ago and expected that the front belts would be retractable to comply with the new adr's - no such luck. For a belt that is stated to be a replacement belt they seem excessivly long.

#27 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

You use their universal fitment belt like this.
The reel fits beautifully beneath the rear seat without mods.
R

Attached Files

#28 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

Is that legal tho, Dont they have to be at a certain angle and all the mounts to a certain strength?

#29 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:01 AM

Rexy that's what i was expecting, brought some about 5 years back for a 4 door LJ and that's what i got, maybe the listing is different for LC as the mounting point is different. I think it changed mid 1970 then the ADR's changed and rear seatbelts became mandatory in 71ish. I'm sure someone will know the exact dates/details.

Do you have the model number of the front belts.
Also do your bucket seats tilt forward and if so what brand are they?

#30 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:48 AM

There are guidelines for fabricating new/replacement mounting points. There not onerous and pretty easy to comply with if you are slightly handy..

The part number I used was K1512 with 300mm length stalk to get the clip point at the right height. That might vary a little depending on seat height etc so I would measure and check before I ordered - I did. You can (or could) get any length/type of stalk with the kit. The Klippan seat belt selection chart is online somewhere in one of their distributors websites.

The seats tilt and from memory are autotechnica. I will check and see if I can find a brand or tag somewhere.

#31 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com.au/

For those chasing belts maybe give these guys a go

I hear they only do re-webbing, you have to supply them with a good working inertia reel....unless they now do them?

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 06 February 2011 - 09:55 AM.

#32 _Trigger82_

_Trigger82_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

I hear they only do re-webbing, you have to supply them with a good working inertia reel....unless they now do them?

s

I've sent them an email, asking if they do replacement belts for LC - LX i'll post the response as soon as i get it

#33 _Trigger82_

_Trigger82_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

Ok I got a response back within about 3 hrs so pretty good there, heres his answer

Hi Nathan
Quick answer yes we can supply new seat belts also we can re-web them as well. If you could please email me your phone number I would like to go through a few thing with you.
Regards Graham Martin

Ive given him my number but told him i may not be able to answer him properly as I dont have any belts at all yet, maybe it someone here looking to fit belts or willing to talk to them about the specs i assuming. We may be able to get another supplier that can sell a bolt in replacement

Edited by Trigger82, 08 February 2011 - 11:25 PM.

#34 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:36 AM

[color="#00ffff"]Hi Nathan
Quick answer yes we can supply new seat belts

Are these Klippans?

s

#35 _daveHQ_

_daveHQ_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

i bought a set of klippen seatbelts for my Tonner today, i had the same problem as everyone else, i had to drill the holes out to 1/2 inch!!!

how hard is it to get the bloody things right, not everyone has a 1/2 inch drill bit in the shed, i'm just lucky i did

i only googled the problem to see if it was just me, turns out it's a very common thing, so why wouldn't they just make the hole bigger and supply the right size bolt?

anyway, there fitted now and look great, i thought i'd just share my experience

#36 _Unicorn_

_Unicorn_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

Bought a set of Klippan belts for boy's hatch and had to drill out the mounts on the belts to fit them.

Not good,rip em out, start again. Who knows if they are engineered to be able to take the drilling out or that much metal going missing, Klippan couldnt/wouldnt tell me when I asked.
Just take em back and tell em they dont fit, they might not notice that you have drilled them.

I had the same issue many years ago ('93-94ish!) and the shop I got them from told me to drill them. I did it, but was curious as to why the pack said they fit when they don't. I rang Klippan, and when I told them what had happened they nearly had a heart attack on the spot!! They said rip them out, it would be safer with my old ones, and if I was in an accident, insurance wouldn't pay out because of illegal modifications!
That car got stolen in '94, so it wasn't my problem anymore!! But I will be looking for an alternative when I get into next build, by that time I'll need a hover-conversion and we'll be held in our seats by electro-magnetic 'belts'! ROFL!!!

#37 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

so why wouldn't they just make the hole bigger and supply the right size bolt?

Are they specifically marked as Torana belts or is it just a part no. and the dealer recommends part no. 'xyz' for Toranas?

I suspect they fit a range of cars and the tooling to change the bolt hole is not worth the no. of units they sell for Toranas.

A shame really.

s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users