83 replies to this topic

#1 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

Hi all, got 6cyc springs in front and lowered king springs in back. Want a shock setup for street and strip. These are my thoughts:
Would love to have a ajustable shock in the front that could range from a 50/50ish (for street) and 90/10 for strip. Any one know of any brands that have this function to suit a lh torana?? All i could find is Qa1($340 each) or custom koni (1,000each)
Do you really need a 90/10 shock in the front a 11-12sec car, is it gonna make much difference to a 50/50 shock???

Or do i just go munro heavy duty all round (cheaper) and mess with tyre choices instead??
any help would be great :D

#2 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

hey luke

ask LXCHEV

he seems to have a very good all round set up

he is running very good times at the drags and drives it everywhere

cheers

mick

#3 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:07 PM

Hey mate, your 6cyl springs and shocks on the front will be good enough to give you the weight transfer you are lookig for without the need to go to 90/10's and therefore compromise driveability on the street. For the back put your 50/50's in the rear and you will have a good crossover setup that will see improvements at the track and still leave it driveable. 90/10's will give you a bit more transfer and help you but for the couple of tenths us amateur drivers don't need to worry IMO, our next meal doesn't depend on our times. You will still have to be a bit cautious driving around with the soft front/hard rear setup because it won't corner hard, but is perfectly good for normal driving.

Best cheap, street compromise setup IMO.

Peace,

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

So where in Melb can I get the 90/10 and 50/50 shockers at a decent price? Pedders quoted me $190 for the 90/10 fronts.

#5 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:38 PM

My LX hatch had 90/10's, but I would not recommend them for the street. My HG Prem has normal gas shocks all round and launches fine on the strip.

You still need power to get it to 60 foot fast.

#6 _workinprogress_

_workinprogress_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:43 PM

hi there.
i am unfamiliar with the suspension side of drag racing and was just wondering what 90\10's were. and how they are better for drag racing?

Cheers if someone could clear things up for me

Fraser

#7 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:49 PM

I have Pedders Sports Ryder shocks all around on mine. I believe launching at the drags is more about spring choice than shock choice - ie. run a pretty soft spring in the rear. Fat tyres with the correct pressure are probably what makes my car hook up more than anything else though! My car went 11.99 with a 1.7 or 1.8sec 60 foot time (can't remember which now), all on standard BF Goodrich T/A's (265's).

Edited by LXCHEV, 01 February 2006 - 11:49 PM.

#8 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:52 PM

Speaking of all this 50/50, 90/10 stuff, does anyone know what the Pedders Sports Ryder's are rated at???

workinprogress - I'm sure someone here will have a proper technical answer to your question, but a 90/10 means the shock has more resistance going back down than up - hopefully someone will explain better....

#9 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:51 PM

your on the right track lxchev, 90/10 will let the front end of your car rise quickly, and keep it up there so that you can maxamise weight transfer to the rear wheels giving you more traction. This is done by having bugger rebound force (10) and a fair bit of bump force (90) which keeps the front end up in the air for longer.

Lxchev: would be interesting to find out what your sports ryder's are rated at? I am contemplating going down the same path as you, depends how much these koni adjustable one will cost? Also do you run std height springs?

Edited by 355lxss, 02 February 2006 - 01:56 PM.

#10 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:28 PM

Yeah mate I would love to know what the Sports Ryder's are rated at. Hopefully someone on here may know....

As for my springs - in the front I have A9X spec King Springs, and in the rear I have been running some super low, soft springs for the last couple of years (Have proven themselves at the drags). However I recently just re-installed my Pedders lowered rear springs (standard lowered amount), haven't had a chance to drag with these just yet. Although on the skidpan at Springnats my car was axle tramping heaps off the line which it doesn't normally do. I still had around 36psi in the tyres, not sure if this was part of the cause or not. I don't know which springs I'll be racing on at the Forum drag day yet.

#11 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:46 PM

cool thanks for that lxchev :spoton: called pedders and asked what the sports ryder shock are rated at and was told that they cant release that info to me :furious:

Hoping someone else might know?

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

...However I recently just re-installed my Pedders lowered rear springs (standard lowered amount), haven't had a chance to drag with these just yet. Although on the skidpan at Springnats my car was axle tramping heaps off the line which it doesn't normally do...

That's normally a shock absorber issue rather than a spring issue.

#13 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:45 PM

Hmmmmm...... thanks Chopper, will see if it continues or not....

355 - Damn, spewing they don't want to tell us, much be a secret recipe!!

#14 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:03 AM

Hey all thanks for the replies!
Good news uncle chop chop, found one better than Pedders 90/10 for $190. Give "S.G Lesley + Son" a call 94592859 they seem to know alot and can rebuild and modify a Monroe shock to 90/10 for $150 a pair. :spoton:
They get stuck into them modify valves and stuff and re weld them up.
They don't advise that you drive on the street with there 90/10's as hitting a large pot hole or something similar could break the shock...
They recon no "single" adjustable shock will get to 90/10 setting which does away with my master plan. :cry:
Could go double adjustalbe but thats big $$$
Just waiting to see if they can do me a set on kustom qa1 or koni that will have adjustability to 90/10, but still be able to be adjusted back to something that will be streetable, it will never be a great street/track shock as modifying the internals in order to get it to go to 90/10 wil mean it can't be adjusted to back to 50/50 or what ever unless you get the can opener onto it again.

#15 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

called up another suspension place who recomended koni sports adjustable. He said you can adjust the to get close to 85/15 and their the closest you'll get to a 90/10. They were $130 each. Pedders sports ryders were $105 each.

#16 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:30 PM

QA1 advertise they do those adjustables that can go to a 90/10 but I havn't tried them.

I did do the exercise to work out which ones I would get for the LX if you want me to dig out the info.

M@

#17 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

i woudl be very interested in seeing the info you have.

cheers eddie :spoton:

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:42 PM

Prices are coming down, I like this! Good thing I'm not afraid to ask questions.

#19 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:56 AM

found some other adjustable shocks made by competition engineering which are three way adjustable, 90/10, 80/20, and 60/40. They also have the same for the rear 30/70, 40/60, and 50/50.

Unfortunatley being an american company they dont have shocks straight off the shelf for torana. Im guessing the height and rate of spring will determine the type of shocker needed.

here's the link
comp engineering

#20 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:27 PM

As LXCHEV I think it was said you also have to match your springs in order to get the best out of your shocks. 90/10 shocks with a hard spring will limit the weight transfer you will see because the shock will be restricted.

#21 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:33 PM

So what do people recommend for a good street setup (and corner well) but also good for the strip? shocks and springs.

#22 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:07 PM

First, I would assume the car would be 95% street and 5% strip. If you had the cash, I would use a medium to firm set of springs and ideally two sets of shockers and two sets of rims.

#23 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:17 PM

you assumed right chopper,

yeah ill go for hard springs,
what sort of shocks and rims are you thinking about, street set and strip set?
and so id wouldnt matter too much on the strip with hard springs?

Cheers mate.

#24 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:21 AM

i dont really know what springs, shock combinations are best for getting the rear wheels to grip, however, there seems to be a major misconception with this weight transfer thing. More tilt of the car backwards, doesnt necessarily mean more downforce has gone to the rear wheels.
As the vehicle accelerates , the body of the car tends to get left behind and compresses the rear springs with a force dependent on the acceleration rate. For soft springs the shift is greater, hard springs less, yet the force exerted on them is essentially the same(because it is the same acceleration), which creates essentially the same down force on the axle.

#25 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

yeah ill go for hard springs,
what sort of shocks and rims are you thinking about, street set and strip set?
and so id wouldnt matter too much on the strip with hard springs?

Cheers mate.

First choose your springs. Then get some shocks that are matched to the springs. As for wheels and tyres, it's all about prefference for the street. For the drags, what can you fit under the guards and how much money is left?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users