The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

Hey Guys,

I am in the process of Lowering my GF's UC hatch. I am wondering what other people have done in lowering their Torana's.

I have Heard of various springs being used (and modified) to fit in the rear of Torana's.

I know Makka uses Camira Springs in his LX, and it lowers the Car bout 4inches. I have heard of people putting commodore IRS springs in the rear as well (But we tried this and i think he might have got the wrong springs, cos the rear end is as stiff as buggery!!!)

What else have people tried?

I was wondering how LJ rear springs would go in a UC? Because we actually bought LJ rear shocks to allow for the lowered springs...

Anyway i am really interested to hear any tricks out there (Not really interested in Cutting rear springs because of the shape of the spring...)

Cheers

Matt

#2 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

you can do the dodgy' heat with an oxy torch and push down on the car till the height you get is required then quench with water trick'

but its not highly recommended though.

cheers julian

#3 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:05 PM

HAHA nice!

Yeah well we are looking into getting the Original Springs Reset a few inches lower. But just thought i would test the waters to see what else is out there...

#4 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

Hey Matt, Ring these guys:
Spicer Springs: 9720 0809
They're not far from you, and it's fairly cheap to get done.

Cheers,
Rick.

#5 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

Sweet! Maddy's Dad actually mentioned Spicer, but couldnt find the number!

Thanks mate!

#6 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

On the topic of springs... i know you can get springs compressed (reset) to the height you want.
is it possible to get them uncompressed say an inch? i ask this because my lx is ridiculously low, the cat part of the exhaust system sits a mere 55mm off the ground.

Thanks,
Rhys.

#7 _workinprogress_

_workinprogress_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

well ppl can doubt me if they like but if u want to reset ur own springs it is pretty easy. but a furnace and an oil bath is needed. just heat ur springs to bright red and adjust to desired height, reheat to bright red because they would have cooled down by now then quench in oil bath and leave till cold. The hard part is then to heat up to a specific temperature and leave to cool on the floor. hickory (read old hammer handle) will spark at the same temperature as spring steel is tempered at so u heat the spring back up and rub the peice of hickory on it, when the sring is at the right temp the hickory will start to feel slippery on the spring and little sparks will come up on the steel this is when u remove the spring from the furnace and leave to cool on the floor

#8 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

WIP that's awesome old skool tech advice. love it.

Prob' wont ever do it myself, but great info none the less.

#9 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

i remember readin something about camira rear springs going into LH-UCs but i cant remember the story, i think it had something to do with drag applications. oh by the way whats wrong with using those irs springs just because they are too stiff, the only prob i can see is they might cause the car to over steer a little but i reckon you probably wouldnt notice it that much with the series 2 rts front end?

cheers adam

#10 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:34 PM

yeah i have the stock irs springs and its pretty hard. perfect height though for 17's.

#11 _Chriskoss-79uc_

_Chriskoss-79uc_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:56 PM

Im particulary interested in this thread, and don't mean to steal it.
I have a UC hatch also and am looking to lower it.

Is it ok to use front lowering springs from a V8 lx torana?.

I found these springs on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com....:MEWA:IT&ih=018
and was wondering if they'll fit my uc hatch.
They will just be a bit firmer as they are for a v8, correct?

Edited by Chriskoss-79uc, 08 November 2007 - 02:57 PM.

#12 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:17 AM

YEah mate, the V8 LX ones will fit fine. But will probably be a bit firmer and a bit higher. (Those ones on ebay, might not actually lower your car all that much...)

#13 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

you can do the dodgy' heat with an oxy torch and push down on the car till the height you get is required then quench with water trick'

but its not highly recommended though.

cheers julian

hehe that would last 3 weeks before the spring would break, sag or destroy itself,

spring compressors, oxy and a bucket of old sump oil, water will cool it to fast and weaken the shite outta the steel.

but if there is a spring that would suit (never heard the camira one before) use that option.... bit safer.

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:45 PM

Yep Camira springs sit low and are super soft so they are great for the rear end of a drag car LH/LX/UC, or so I have heard. I've always wondered how much travel they maintain... I guess the bump stops have to be 'adjusted'. ;)

#15 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:50 PM

i got hq lowered rear springs in mine, bit stiff but sit well with the 17's

#16 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:00 PM

haha funny you say that. I Put Torana Springs in my HQ and it made it sit perfect!

#17 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:31 PM

has any one got a measure with the camira springs in? like centre of rim to guard...

#18 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:13 PM

G'day Brett.
I don't have the measurements, but i do have photo's of my lx when i had 17's on + camira springs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:41 PM

I think Makka said it drops the car 4" from standard

#20 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:50 AM

no fair. they're my rims!

they look about 1/2" lower than my irs springs. so i reckon a set of those and insulator pads and i'll be fine.
How soft/hard are they?? i need soft to get traction. thats why the irs are no good.

#21 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:13 AM

It's alright Brett, i've sold the 17's and are using stockies for my sleeper look!
The Camira springs are quite soft, softer than standard lx torana ones! The reason i have changed them over with custom lowered king springs is the camira ones were way too low. My cats were nearly rubbing on the road.
My king springs are still around 40mm too low but the car handles a whole lot better than with the camira ones in.

Rhys.

#22 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:25 AM

i also heard of people using bedford springs. but that may have been in the front?

#23 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:53 AM

just spoke with spicer springs (in bayswater) and they said that resetting the springs will typically increase the spring rate by 30%
that could be a good thing. who knows the std spring rate of torana, and the spring rate of say a HD pedders?
cost is $55 a pair.

they also suggested Brown springs in thomastown to do custom springs. i think chopper has mentioned these blokes before.

#24 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:52 AM

just spoke with spicer springs (in bayswater) and they said that resetting the springs will typically increase the spring rate by 30%
that could be a good thing. who knows the std spring rate of torana, and the spring rate of say a HD pedders?
cost is $55 a pair.

HAHA, That price seems to change each time someone calls, but its getting cheaper!

its was 75, then my gf called the other week and it was 65, now its 55! haha.

I would recommend finding a pair of like 1" lowered pedders or something and getting them lowered. seeing as they have less coils in them, they will probably perform better.

#25 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

Posted Image
4 inches or so down on standard, I can measure the wheelarch to centre if you like
camira springs are not as soft as you would think, they are a bit soft at the start of the stroke but they stiffen up as they are progressive rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users