TRIPLE CARBS BACK FIRING help

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#26 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:50 PM

Yea it just gets too much sometimes ive had the car for 15 years and just want to drive it evrywhere but i suppose im just goin to have to start again...

#27 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:17 PM

If it only the middle carbie, I once had the middle SU ,small, bowl to jet hose block up on me it was thirty years ago so I can't remember the symptoms ,but simple to check.Other than that put on a holley to eliminate or prove its the carbies

#28 _willo_

_willo_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:21 PM

If it only the middle carbie, I once had the middle SU ,small, bowl to jet hose block up on me it was thirty years ago so I can't remember the symptoms ,but simple to check.Other than that put on a holley to eliminate or prove its the carbies

aahh that also happened to me.. it turned out that the o ring in the end of the fuel line to the carb was "crimped"....funnily enough that was also the middle carb....troy check that.

#29 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:25 AM

Did you machine the head?

#30 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

Yea i had the head machined,it was backfiring in the middle carb mainly ,now is all 3 but idles sweet and has absolutely no guts at all,undrivable..

#31 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:04 PM

were the carbies on the car before ?

#32 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

are you able to take the carbs off and try a holley or some other carb on it ?

That way you could possibly eliminate issue with the carbs or not

i no its more work but its 1 way of working out if its the carbs or not

#33 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

Yea i had the head machined,it was backfiring in the middle carb mainly ,now is all 3 but idles sweet and has absolutely no guts at all,undrivable..

Still reckon its electrical....
R

#34 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

Yea the carbs were on that motor before running sweet,i will take them off and slap a holley on it,have to get to the bottom of this problem,

#35 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:55 PM

then if that no good try a diff dizzy... you will get there eventualy, you have to try all diff things

#36 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:24 PM

Whats coming out your exhaust ,wet fuel , sooty black smoke or nothing ,does it smell like unburnt fuel ,if it does it may be electrical,

#37 _LC-TORANA-1970_

_LC-TORANA-1970_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

Hi Troy ring rocket ind in sydney & speak to a bloke named Claude he use to work on triples all the time he had a carby place until work got real slow with all the fuel INJ cars these days. I still get him to work on mine when I need him to he's a good bloke & will know what your problem is & If you live in sydney he might do a house call & he dont charge a arm & leg for the job..Tell him Jason with the 2 torries (original & the V8) & tell him I told you to call your a friend of a friend & you have a problem...Jason..

#38 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:40 PM

Troy, you havent put a resistor on the coil have you, friend had his GTR serviced and they put a resistor on the coil, car went like a bag of sh1t. Swapped the dizzy and coil as a unit trying to trouble shoot, Bingo back in the Red Zone (thats tacho Red Zone), satisfing to nail it. I have a good mechanic on Syd Nth if you need, Old School Torana Racer luv's his tripples. Mate just start at the beginnig and work over everything you might have missed something, as suggested if you can elimentate large pieces like carbs and dizzy's in one go this good, you need a mate with a donner car and spend the weekend troublshooting. Don't retension a Holden 6 Head after first tension (follow the instruction on the new gasket re tensioning bring up to full tension and leave it) as you break tthe seal that should be on your Head Stud. Sunburst

#39 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

BTW if youv'e installed a electronic dizzy you need to run a Hot Wire(12volt dircet from the fuse box) to the coil, their is a Pinned post on this method. Sunburst

#40 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:59 AM

Hi guys im located in perth,i swapped the electronic dizzy to a standard points one ,still the same problem,i swapped the accell coil for a standard one too ,same problem,the fuel stinks like unburnt fuel and the plugs seem to be fouling up and are wet with fuel,cheers jason i will give claude a ring and have a chat to him,

#41 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:05 AM

Hang in there Troy ,when you find the fault you will know every inch of your car which will always be handy, and look back at what you've learnt !!

#42 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

Compression test?

#43 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:37 AM

Earth wire from battery to body ?

#44 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hi guys the compression is the same on all cylinders,i removed the triple su carbs and when i took them off i noticed that there was heaps of unburnt fuel and like black soot in there same as on the inside of the manifold,i whacked on a standard manifold and carb started the bitch up and she was happily back firing her ass off as usual!!!!!There was no difference :gun:
I have even compression
I have fuel
changed the dizzy and coil
changed the carby and manifold
advanced and retarted the timing
changed spark plugs
readjusted the rockers from 20 thou back to 15 thou
had a timing light on it
Honestly whats fkn left ???I have an earth strap on the motor and to the radiator,that wouldnt be the problem??
I had the solid lifters refaced maybe it sliced a bit of the cam lobe off???If it did then would there be even compression??
:gun:
I just rung rocket in sydney and spoke to claude, and he reckons its more than likely the head shim so off come the head...........pushrod length is the problem hopefully ..

Edited by troy, 30 October 2007 - 02:17 PM.

#45 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:14 PM

It still seems electrical. May be way simple, but it is almost like the firing order is out of sequence.

#46 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:23 PM

I haven't read through all the posts, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything, but apart from the very obvious things such as ;

incorrect firing order

way out timing - check that the TDC (top dead centre) mark on the harmonic balancer co-incides with TDC of piston number 1 by having a look through the plug hole of Cyl 1 while rotating the motor by hand. Also check that it's the compression stroke, and that you haven't got the dizzy 180 degrees out - unlikely, as it shouldn't idle if that's the case, but it would backfire like buggery.

bad crossfire from your plug leads or dizzy caps (yes, both types of dizzy)

valves not closing properly (what is your average compression, and how much variation?)

too much compression - see above

some very wierd fuel problem

valvel springsd too weak for the solid cam?? - clutching at straws here, but are the valve springs new, and strong?

very low fuel pressure - I think I recall that you're running an elec fuel pump, but if you're running the stock mechanical pump, then it is actually possible (but difficult) to get the plunger cam under the cam lobe instead of over it. The cam will still move the plunger a small way, but will only pump a very small amount of fuel. As soon as you need more, you lean out and the egine will not run.

If you've definitely ticked off al of the above, .............

- it still sounds like weak ignition. Plonk the electronic ignition and coil back on, temporarily hook the coil +ve directly to the battery +ve and start it. Any difference? Is the spark, big, fat and bright, or is it a pissy little spark?

#47 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

all of the above is fine,i just undone all the arp head studs and the head wasnt clamped down and is moving easily,it wasnt hard to get off its just rockin around on the block,havent lifted the head off yet as my back is knackered from workin on it all day,if i knew how to put pics up here i would,and i think once i get rid of this stupid head shim clean it all up and get another head gasket and clamp her down with out the shim im prayin to god that will fix the problem otherwise im gonna :gun: someone,probably the missus

#48 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

^^^^ that will do it every time...

#49 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:40 PM

Damn, should have been noisy as Hell when running! Wouldn't the compression ratio been a giveaway?

#50 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:11 PM

Would probably look a bit like this between the cylinders all the way along?

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users