TRIPLE CARBS BACK FIRING help

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 _LC-TORANA-1970_

_LC-TORANA-1970_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

Hi Troy stick with it champ. All performance motors have bugs & when all the bugs are gone you will appreciate the beast more than the bloke who dont have problems now because there bugs will come later. Just remember when you get it running dont smack the arse out of it with all the fustration she has given you.....GOOD THING COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT.. Good luck your nearly there....Jason..

#52 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:06 PM

the heads off it looks new still and the block looks great the shim never bedded in because it ran like a bitch from the rebuild back firing,the head shim hopefully is the problem,and so lord help me if it is, because i got 4 spare 215 13" eagers ,she will have to be punished accordingly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gun: :gun:

Edited by troy, 30 October 2007 - 10:13 PM.

#53 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:31 AM

Hi Troy, Pardon my ignorance but what is a head shim, i imagine gasket. Hope you've nailed it. Sunburst

#54 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:49 AM

Sounds like a decompression plate of some sort.
R

#55 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

The head shim is from ACL it 1.6mm thick and brings down the compression where the cylinder head has had the crap machined out of it,the main reason for using it was to lower the compression to run it on pump fuel.

#56 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:31 PM

Troy, redoing the head sorted it ?? Sunburst

#57 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:20 PM

sorry guys it took so long but i finally think i may have found the problem...I ripped the head off and chucked the decompression plate straight into the bin,
I then took the head into the head shop again and got them to completely check it over,nothin wrong with the head,or double valve springs,or valves i thought i may have a stuck valve,i didnt.I then assumed the cam or valve train is f%$ked,i pulled the side covers off and was removing the solid lifters ,some of them 3 to be exact arent solid anymore,the bottom of them is scooped out into a moon shape which isnt normal,i been tryin to pull the balancer off and get the cam out at the moment do u have to rip the oil pump off too??to get the cam out,absolue disaster is what i reckon a $5000 motor thats done 200km maximum been pulled down rebuilt twice and for this to happen :gun: have to rebuild the bitch again :gun:

#58 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:26 PM

Always quicker the second time :)

Leave your side covers off till last. Make sure both lifters are down when you set your initial timing to ensure you are on the power and not the intake/exhaust stroke. Produces the same results as you are talking of.

#59 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

Reminds me of a 302 Clevo I once had. Idled beatifully, revved nicely when stationary, as soon as you put it under load it backfired like a bloke who'd been on the grog all night then had baked beans for breakfast.
Swapped carb, dissy, plugs, you name it.
While I was checking the cam timing I noticed that 3 of the valves were barely moving and another couple were only opening about halfway.
fitted a new cam and she ran like a beauty.
The valves were letting enough air in at idle but as soon as you asked the question, it couldn't cope.

#60 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:07 PM

Hmm why do you reckon the bottom of the lifters are totally scalloped out like 7mm scalloped section where the cam lobe has chewed it off the bottom of the lifter??

#61 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:05 AM

Not enough assembly lube and not run in correctly.

Something to look for next time when your re-adjusting valve clearance?

Edited by rodomo, 13 November 2007 - 12:08 AM.

#62 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:22 AM

^ somebody obviously thought it was optional!!!

#63 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:43 AM

Well finally,i pulled the cam out and it has 3 lobes sheered of which would explain the timing problem,i never should have got the lifters refaced,cost me more to face them than to buy new ones and it #@$^%& my cam up and has cost me $$ and lots of time to fix it,the 35/75 cam goes in the bin along with the lifters,going to whack a crow 32/60 solid cam in,and GMH solid lifters,also going to get rid of the crow helicoil aluminium adjustable gear set and whack on a straight cut gear set,what a nightmare but it finally got sorted out... :blink:

#64 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:13 AM

damn! but i guess it's good in a way, because you know whats gone wrong now!.

hope the next build goes better for you mate

#65 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:30 PM

Welcome to lifes experiences Troy......Bet it runs perfect when you get it back together... :clap:
R

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users