Photo

Group C/A Replica Racing - There must be a way!

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#301 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

I say let them do it, but not race it in those colours :)

Cheers
Herne

In that case we are just another class of 1974-1980 old cars running around...It will have Ho Hum interst to the public. My opinion.
R

#302 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

In that case we are just another class of 1974-1980 old cars running around...It will have Ho Hum interst to the public. My opinion.
R

I raced for me, never the public :) Of course when I raced it was affordable for just about anyone, it's very different now.

Herne

#303 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

yup....and thats the point of this category...

Haha Rory are u saying your not up for the challenge??? just sabotage his engine it wont run that good with one spark plug not connected :P

#304 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:04 PM

You Da Man AGGRO! :spoton:
R

Edited by rorym, 21 May 2009 - 10:04 PM.

#305 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:12 PM

thats what my missus always tells me too......LOL

#306 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:21 AM

oooooh it's gettin' close now....
painter masked up for the stripes on the weekend!
Musclecar masters "09 here we come.
Hey Rod... how do you go about getting a run in the replica clas at the masters??

Cheeers Greg..

Greg, give Phil Harison at Eastern Ck a call or email, he looks after it all, Dave Falvey spoke to him the other day about the masters, but unless you have a painted up replica, they wont have enough space, due to the Kiwis coming over.

Rod.

#307 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

What???..A promotor only wants painted up replicas not standard looking cars???..Who would have thunk!!!! :tease:
R

Edited by rorym, 22 May 2009 - 08:33 AM.

#308 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:58 AM

Thanks Rod... will do.
Painted.... do you think this will do?
Posted Image

Hey Rory.... wanna race mate! :3gears:

As for colours schemes and such... Don't wory about CAMS, they don't care what colour the car is as long as it is in presentable condition with no unrepaired damage etc...
Sports sedan numbers in all states are tragic at the moment, so they will welcome the extra cars.
As for the cars not being as entertaining to watch as the originals..... They will be Faster in most cases, and might also be driven in anger a bit more, so should be MORE ENTERTAINING if anything.
I think the only problem we might face is if everyone decides they want to do an 05 replica... I don't know how you stop that, but I do see it as a future problem as interest in the class grows.
As I see it......(and I do have a bit of an insiders view)
The group A/C guys are trying to protect their investments by not allowing replica's WITHIN THEIR CLASS... Fine, let them have their own class, no-one is disputing that, but their is NO WAY that they have any say in what colour scheme a car is painted when it is racing as a 3D sports sedan... NONE, NADA,ZIP! They just have to suck it up. It s like chinese Oakley sunnies... sure Oakly sell less of the real deal because of the "knock offs" but can they do anything about it? NOPE!
People with the cash to spend on collectibles and want to pretend to go racing will still buy the REAL THING. That is the personallity that they are... But can they stop others from cloning their cars.... NO!

Cheers Greg..

#309 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:21 AM

Greg it will look great, just send the pic to Phil, and you will be on the list.

#310 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

I think Greg/82911 just put the nail in the coffin...the end ..over and out! :clap: :spoton: :clap:
R

Edited by rorym, 22 May 2009 - 10:12 AM.

#311 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

What, you dont want to talk about it any more Rory ?

#312 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

Nah.... Rory wants to talk about it....
I just don't think he wants to race me! :P

#313 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

Lol..Correct!...
I think Greg basically covered everything in his post above...
Greg I cant remember the Walky in those colours, when was that?
R

#314 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

The group A/C guys are trying to protect their investments by not allowing replica's WITHIN THEIR CLASS... Fine, let them have their own class, no-one is disputing that, but their is NO WAY that they have any say in what colour scheme a car is painted when it is racing as a 3D sports sedan... NONE, NADA,ZIP! They just have to suck it up. It s like chinese Oakley sunnies... sure Oakly sell less of the real deal because of the "knock offs" but can they do anything about it? NOPE!
People with the cash to spend on collectibles and want to pretend to go racing will still buy the REAL THING. That is the personallity that they are... But can they stop others from cloning their cars.... NO!

Cheers Greg..

i,m not having a go but the mock ups will never get into the group A/C class FULL STOP , that is the rules of the class . the group A/C guys are not bothered about cloning of there cars as long as the mock ups are not advertised or big mouthed as being the real deal , colour scheme and design is definately not the issue ...
however do you think it would be curtous to obtain permission from original race car drivers and sponsors for the using of there names on a mock up if they still exist today ??? one well known ex race car driver i know hates his name on mock up race cars for this reason .

#315 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:45 AM

It was the original "wind tunnel" car built by T Walkinshaw himself fpor bathurst 1989. He then contracted Perkins to build another 2 cars. One was camaigned by Perkins/Hulme (same colours) the other by Walkinshaw/Allam. The most memorable part of the Walkinshaw campaign was when his rear suspension collapsed after a pit stop and the car shgredded it's tyres on mountain straight before retiring.
The 3rd car was later used by Perkins in all white paint with little signage.
The perkins built red/white/black car was latter turned into the FAI car that Grice used to win Bathurst in 1990. AFAIK The other red/white/black car was returned to the UK never to be heard of again.
Was thinking about cloning the HRT car there for a while but as both of the originals still survive today, I thought it would be more appropriate to clone the car that started it all in the first place....
Roll on the "plastic pig"

Cheers Greg..

#316 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hi Shaun,
it is good to hear from you as you have a stake in all of this.

i,m not having a go but the mock ups will never get into the group A/C class FULL STOP , that is the rules of the class .

I think what I said in the post previous to your covers that comment well!

The group A/C guys are trying to protect their investments by not allowing replica's WITHIN THEIR CLASS... Fine, let them have their own class, no-one is disputing that,

I agree on the permission thing... up to a point. Problem I have with it is this.
What if the drivers want some sort of monetary compensation for there name to be used on the side of a car???
This is an "amateur class" of car 3D sports sedans remember... No driver is going to be paying royalties and such to any-one. Please don't tell me "that won't happen".. I know enough of the drivers and those involved in that part of the sport to know that it most certainly will be tryed....
I mentioned a good, long while ago that the way around all this was for the Group A/C owners to sell a franchise of their car, so as someone could, with their permission, build a clone of that car... GUESS WHAT HAPPENED? The idea was poo pooed. Personally, I think it was the answer to what is going to become a growing problem for both parties, as the fields of Original cars get smaller and the clones get more popular.
Imagine me asking Tom Walkinshaw for permission to use his name on the side of my car....
What do you think the answer would be????? :lol:

Edited by 82911, 22 May 2009 - 12:05 PM.

#317 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

Thats exactly right, thats why I picked a car that wasnt around anymore, there are still heaps of cars that were updated to the next yrs colours etc that could be done, just a bit of research needed. I think that what the Group A/C guys are doing is good, to keep the heritage of those original cars in the one group, and thats what the Australian muscle car ultimate replicas class is about, keeping us in a seperate section to show what was around in the day, for the people that were followers of these cars.

#318 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

Spot on..

As an example... I believe that the FAI car was latter turned into one of the HRT cars.... So there is another car thart race fans are NEVER GOING TO SEE UNLESS SOMEONE CLONES IT.

and thats what the Australian muscle car ultimate replicas class is about, keeping us in a seperate section to show what was around in the day,

So what you are saying is that there is a seperate "class" for these cars now??? How good is that!!! :clap:
Demonstration laps at 90% I suppose?

I think that what the Group A/C guys are doing is good, to keep the heritage of those original cars in the one group

I agree whole heartedly, but pretending that it is"never going to rain isn't going to keep you dry when it does" is it....

#319 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

At last years Masters I spoke with Allan Grice about building the Craven Mild replica which he said that he would be happy to see. I even asked him he would be willing to take it for a couple of laps and he said that he would love too. Oh yeah, by the way NO ONE IS GOING TO TELL ME WHAT WAR PAINT I'M GOING TO PUT ON MY CAR.

Just my two cents worth.

#320 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

Really I dont care who builds what, and Australia is a big place, and the likely of 2 cars at the same place at the same time, apart from the muscle car masters at Eastern Ck every year, then most people only go to meetings in their own state, its a free country, but to have one example of every Torana that raced from L34 days till the end of the original group c days would be a good thing, even if they are only display cars like mine.

#321 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

hi greg , thanks for the comments and the pic of the walky looks great , as i see guys like yourself and rocket are choosing replicas such as those that no longer exist , there are plenty around that dont exist and possibly more than the existing race cars and this is a tribute to them and nice for the public to see , after all we all enjoy the heritage of our historic race cars and this seems to be getting more popular as time goes on , yesterdays racing was better than todays ....
however the comment i made earlier with regards to permission to duplicate a drivers name etc can be made easy as per ruts comment and may avoid future animousity with copyright law etc etc . you will find most of our legend drivers do attend historic meetings such as muscle car masters and phillip island historics , these guys certainly like to bring back old memories and even have a drive . maybe thats the trade off ..

the francise of group C/A has got some merit but bearing in mind the class is based on originalty , you can buy a car now to race just need a big wallet as over inflated prices of the cars , this would be cheaper than buying a supercar or ute franchise as you know are selling well to the rich at profitable amounts. and at the end of the day the C/A class is about having fun run in the old girls , allthough it is sheep stations for a few of the boys .

good luck with it all to fit replicas in on the track !! ..

#322 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

sorry double post ..

Edited by WhiteA9XS, 22 May 2009 - 02:12 PM.

#323 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

Just realised Shaun has changed his handle.....

Yeah Agree if you have permission it makes it easier...Colin was thrilled with the car at Speed on Tweed and signed the glove box and sat in the car for pics...Slug Harvey has been told about it and was enthusiastic to see it in the flesh I am told so if he ticks the box I will be a happy chap.
R

#324 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:00 PM

rory , drag car is now sold so we are just sitting on 2 a9x,s both white .

you,ll find slug to be one of the nicest gentlemen you could ever come across !! he pops up at the tracks from time to time , i,m sure he,ll be at the masters sept ...

#325 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

Yeah we have played together before at Surfers in 84. Nice bloke.
R

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users