Turbo Torana

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#1 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

Hi all !

Just wanted to say Hello first as i am a newb.

Anyway this is my old girl (as it used to be with ,186 Engine T04 Turbo), bit of a sleeper :ZZZ: i don't think too many people ever picked it had boost.

https://cache.gmh-to....d/UCSleepa.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to....CSleepa2-1.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to....CSleepaeng.jpg

I Now have a RB30 (VL Turbo) engine to put in the old girl and im looking to gather as much info on this conversion as i can get.

I have found a bit of usefull info searching around on this site and others, but if anyone has any info or links etc that they would care to share it would help a lot.

Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

The pic links don't work mate, but welcome to the site and the vehicle sounds cool. The RB30 conversion is a nice one I've heard, and there are quite a few members on here who have done it to LH/LX/UCs before so they should be able to answer any queries you have. Good luck!

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

Hey, welcome to the forums.

Was it a factory turbo UC??

#4 _wayneo_

_wayneo_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

there is 1 on ebay atm and has been on there for some time for $9000 maybe a better option to buy it already on the road or email the seller for some info

#5 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

[quote name='Heath' date='Dec 18 2007, 08:34 PM']The pic links don't work mate, but welcome to the site and the vehicle sounds cool. The RB30 conversion is a nice one I've heard, and there are quite a few members on here who have done it to LH/LX/UCs before so they should be able to answer any queries you have. Good luck![/quote]
Ooops ! sorry, these links should work...

https://cache.gmh-to...d/UCSleepa2.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...UCSleepa2-1.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...UCSleepaeng.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

[QUOTE] "Was it a factory turbo UC??"

No it was just a SL with a 173 engine not a Dealer SL/T

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

Ohhh I recognize that car... you from Queensland?

#7 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

Yar, when/where have you spotted me b4 ?

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:45 PM

A friend showed me photos of it at some meet like a year ago. Completely forgot about it but I was very impressed at the time :P

Never seen her in the flesh or anything though, I'm from Vic and don't get interstate much hahaha

#9 _cal-a-kid_

_cal-a-kid_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:25 AM

What do you want to know about the conversion? I have done the conversion into my lx hatch without to many dramas although it has taken awhile.

I used the castlemain rodshop conversion sump and engine mounts. I had a go at making my own sump but it didn't turn out as I would have liked to I stuck with the castlemain sump as it was neatly made. I also know that JAP-XU1 off these forums make up the conversion sumps so let him know if youre in the market, had he been around when I started I would have bought one off him for sure.

I use a low mounted T04 with a 3 inch dump and exhaust which is rather tight but does fit. If you went a high mounted turbo I think you would be able to fit a slightly bigger dump pipe.

I use a JD Custom plenum which I bought off www.calaisturbo.com.au These plenums are alright and people have done ok times on them. It fits into the engine bay nicely on standard turbo runners. Once again JAP-XU1 makes his own plenum for these beasts so hit him and see what he has to offer.

Im using the standard jatco in my car which has been beefed up abit. I had to get the gearbox crossmember made because despite providing the material the castlemain rodshop kit doesn't come with a pre-made crossmember, which they did forget to tell me. This wasn't a big set back although I wouldn't purchase the material off them to make the crossmember as the guy that built mine only used one bit and used stronger stuff for the rest.

You need to get a custom tailshaft made to suit obviously.

That is about all I can think of at the moment. If you want anymore info just reply in here and i'll keep an eye on the thread.

Here is the latest pic of my engine bay. It has just been put back together after doing big ends...

Posted Image

Dean

#10 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:07 PM

yeh leigh (jap xu1) really knows his shit and his welding is A1 i just bought my engine mounts from him and there awesome will be getting my sump very soon :)

#11 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:17 PM

Yep, youll get good stuff from Leigh, bought 4 into 1 turbo collectors he welded my allu fuel tank and a heaps of other stuff :spoton:

#12 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:14 AM

This is the sleepiest sleeper around haha looks like a real clean granny car, then you get hosed by it in a race. Went for a short drive with you a few years back with my light blue uc. I still have the same uc but i rebuilt it and fitted a 383 stroker chev and a tuff driveline.

,nathan

#13 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

I went down the line of RB30 in a UC with a supercharger on it. I go it running and only drove up and down my mates work yard then stripped the car for painting.

I changed my mind and went for the RB25 instead now. I also use the castle main cross member and engine mounts. I made my own sump, but it didn't work that well.

I did find a sump from an amercian nissan that fits very nicely in the torana engine bay with only slight mods. It's factory nissan sump. $300 delivered from states including pick up..

I still got the RB30 harness stripped down and ready to plug in, but i don't know if this will suit your application.

#14 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the replies,

Nice Pic Dean.

My problem is i already have a complete car but i want to change the engine only, i dont really want to move my gearbox (Trimatic) change shifter position or get tailshaft made crossmember etc ,unless i really have to, it all worked fine just the way it is.

there are a few kits/options available to adapt RB30 to Trimatic and to put this combo into a UC torrie, but no one so far has been able to give me even approx measurements of engine location in my car, especially strange as i only want to change engines and dont want a different gearbox aswell.

In fact when i asked if i could get approx distance/measurement from engine to firewall (when using the engine mounts they supply), one place said to me "it's close, but it will fit" ....... :gun: THANKS !

I have read through quite a few post's, but reports on the same kits differ so much , one person will say i used this kit with no probs the next post i find everone is saying the mounts are rubbish, i had to space engine forward, or engine hits on heater fan shroud etc

i did not feel that these would have been a difficult questions for the manufaturer's of the kits to answer,as the kit is to fit a trimatic to a rb30 then mounts to torana , i have the torana and the trimatic already,(in standard configuration), i just want to know where the engine will sit ?

I have made calls, sent emails all with no definite answers, hence why i am still annoying you guy's.

I have now sent PM to Jap Xu1, hope he can help on this subject.

Thanks for your time.

#15 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

Can't help you, but what is the huge attraction to a Trimatic. In the end you could probably stick a better gearbox in without spending any more money than you would spend adapting the RB to the Auto.

#16 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:15 PM

Good point Heath...but

what sort of box did you have in mind tho ?

I could not come up with a better idea, bearing in mind i dont want to start spending heaps of $$$ making a gearbox and X-member all fit in the Car then making the Box a bit stronger + stall , then (if not a jatco) still having to adapt it to the RB30.....sounds quite expensive ?

I have spent thousands of $$$ on my Trimatic (ment to handle over 400hp ?) and was built to suit Turbo engine type torque etc as used with my other Turbo 6, + it's already in the car and paid for. :D

And i thought heaps of guys with tuff " VL turbos " (rb30s) use Trimatic gearboxes as a preference anyway ?

Cheers

#17 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:28 PM

Nothing wrong with trimatics guys.

Beaut boxes from my experience, but i have a full manual fully tricked up one and havnt put a lot of power through it yet, we shall see.

Cheers.

#18 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

Well yeah I don't deny that they're not a bad unit, but a Jatco (four speed!) or an MX7 would be awesome... right? Or any other nice gearbox that there are cheap bellhousings for. I mean I'd go manual but that's personal preference. Any setups for mating T5s to RB motors?

#19 _turbotorana1976_

_turbotorana1976_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:38 PM

mumstaxi, are you the one who called me the other day about the stall convertor on ebay?? if so thanks, not many people would go out of their way to helplike you did.

Now i have done the conversion, although my car isn't actually going yet

Have you seen the posts about my car??

Despite the fact i have a twin cam head, the engine is still an rb30 and i had a single cammer in there previosly.

So i use the castlemaine engine mounts, they are good quality imo and the engine fitted straight in (without a sump on, also i have no heater box)
Since this i have modified the mounts so the engine sits 9mm lower and 9mm further back. this is because the twin cam head is taller and wont fit under thr bonnet, i have had to cut away some of the bonnet brcing at the front too.

the measurement from the head to firewall will differ from car to car a little if the gearbox crossmembers are different heights. just something to think about. my engine is not in atm so i cannot give you a measurement, but as you stated it is quite close, like 10-20mm from the firewall, my single cam tappit cover sat just under the lip on the firewall if i remember correctly.

I have used a castlemaine rod shop gearbox crossmember to suit powerglide, just the same one the v8 boys use. if the gearbox is a little different in position than before the crossmember usually has slots on the crosmember so it can be moved a bit. but then your tailshaft may need to be modified.

If you plan on running an intercooler id have the engine back as far as possible, there is not heaps of room for the fan and radiator and intercooler, perhaps you even have a transmission cooler? i suppose it depends on wht thickness intercooler you run too, i wanted no smaller than 100mm thick, its 300x600x100 plus the end tanks obviosly. i trimmed quite a bit of the front panel to fit the intercooler in where i wanted.

I didnt buy a sump from castlemaine as they are quite expensive, and you have to supply them with a sump. I found they were not very helpful as i wanted to know what the sump looked like before paying the 600 or more dollars, they were not interested in telling me anything about it other than it fits.
So i am building one.
The sump needs to be really shallow to clear the crosmember(remember my motor is 9mm lower) I had so little room i have run the pickup line outside of the sump and modify the oil pump to suit.
i'll put some pics of it on my thread.

I have probably just confused you, but it really is very easy, the sump i think is the biggest job id say.

This is my car
http://www.gmh-toran...pic=17244&st=30

Edited by turbotorana1976, 01 January 2008 - 12:40 PM.

#20 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

Well yeah I don't deny that they're not a bad unit, but a Jatco (four speed!) or an MX7 would be awesome... right? Or any other nice gearbox that there are cheap bellhousings for. I mean I'd go manual but that's personal preference. Any setups for mating T5s to RB motors?

no point for a t5 when a r33 box is almost bullet proof

#21 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

(turbotorana1976) Yes mate it was me who rang you, was that link of any interest ?

Thanks for your reply,

I have spoken to the castlemaine boys about my UC conversion and they had no measurements to give me ???,apparently when i was on the phone to them they had a LJ/LC Torana that they themselves are fitting with a RB30.

I was also told that they are making changes/adjustments to the Kit/Mounts etc, and that they will be able to tell me more in a couple of days when they complete the conversion that they are presently undertaking (hope they know difference between a LC & a UC)

That was about 3 weeks ago and i still have not heard, but we have had Xmas and people take holidays etc this time of year so maybe they just forgot to ring, i will try again soon in 08.

I want to keep my heater ,yet another reason why i wanted a measurement/s of engine position.

The UC does not have the same steel nose cone area like a LX/LH so the intercooler (mine about 600x300x75 ) should sit in "front" of the Radiator support panel (with small mod to bonnet catch support bar)

Its starting to look as though the only way im ever gonna get the "measurements" i want is after ive already done the conversion myself ! :blink:

Thanks for your help/advice and BTW your car looks great.

#22 _turbotorana1976_

_turbotorana1976_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

the link was usefull, cheers, wrong spline in the convertor for my car so i found out.
i have added some pics and info about my sump today if that helps

#23 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

no point for a t5 when a r33 box is almost bullet proof

lol I knew there was a Nissan box that is commonly put in setups like (a good move) this but i just could not remember what it was. Yes, agreed, would be at least as good as a T5 and an easier conversion probably because of the bellhousing.

#24 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

Ok, going from advice from a few members, i wanted to contact leigh (jap xu1) about mounts ,sump etc for my conversion , i could not seem to contact him by ,Mobile, landline,PM, left my Number ,all with no reply ?
shame cos from the pic's i have come across his work looked fantastic.

Anyway, I just ordered the full RB30 conversion kit from CRS today.

The CRS Kit for LX LH UC has now just been improved (this week) to fit RB30 and retain/clear the heater fan shroud without mods,so in theory the whole thing should just bolt in/ together.

Hope so ! (sounds to good to be true) ^_^

MT

#25 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:58 PM

hes has been on holidays, i would not use crs parts as from what leigh has told me they sit the engine wrong, he is also very busy so yeh... upto you what you want to do

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users