- - - - -

Turbo Torana

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#26 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

hes has been on holidays, i would not use crs parts as from what leigh has told me they sit the engine wrong, he is also very busy so yeh... upto you what you want to do

Fair enough ,we all need a break sometime (thanks for the info)

Would have been handy to have a message on one of his phones to say he is closed/away maybe ?

Anyway,too late now,looks like now i will have to wait until i need a manifold for a huge-ass turbo to be able to sample his fine goods :D

The CRS kits did make the engine sit wrong, i have been told they have now fixed the problem/s and it sounds like i will get the first modified kit ,so fingers crossed.

MT

#27 _turbotorana1976_

_turbotorana1976_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

good to hear, eventually you have to just bite the bullet and do something, or nothing gets doned hey :spoton:

what turbo are you going to run? i have made a manifold to suit high mount turbo, gt35/40or similar, t3 flange with the single cam rb30 on castlemaine mounts to fit lx, lh, uc torana. Made from proper steampipe bends, i'm using the twincam head, so wont need it anymore.
send me a pm or call 0408 275 902 if your interested.
pics below with gt30/40
cheers simon
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:56 PM

The CRS kits did make the engine sit wrong, i have been told they have now fixed the problem/s and it sounds like i will get the first modified kit ,so fingers crossed.

Bugger, that's why my engine sits weird in engine bay. I got my engine mount kit ages ago so it will be different. I talk with Joe from Pro Fab and he suggested making some spacers to fit in between the engine mount and the block itself to raise the height of the engine.

#29 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:28 PM

Have bit of a update on my conversion,OK got my CRS kit and found that the RB30 to Trimatic Kit is for a "V8" Trimatic only so wont fit my 6cyl one. :cry:

It did look like a nice kit, straight forward bolt up with small mod's to the factory rb30 spacer plate starter holes.
Kit had quite good instructions,the adapter plate is around 25mm thick and the kit also has a seperate plate to adapt the original Trimatic converter to the RB30 flexplate,comes with bolts to join motor and box (less starter bolts) and has a knock-in spigot/crankshaft adapter for converter location.

The new 2008 LH/LX/UC engine mounts sat the motor around 25-35mm further forward than the old (LC/LJ) CRS mounts,also the engine sits around 10mm higher (for better sump clearance)

One of the mount's (drivers side) was made at the wrong angle (rubber eng mount not square with X-member ) this put a lot of pre-load on the engine mount rubber and would most likley cause premature eng mount failure.

I sat the eng in anyway, with the 08 mounts installed,just for a test fit ,the eng (stock RB30 Turbo) all fitted without mods to the heater box or firewall,the bonnet (UC) closed over plenum OK even with the extra lift from the new mounts.

Moving the eng forward (08 mounts) left restricted space for thermo fans,i have a 3 core radiator and cut down BA/AU thermo fans,the eng did fit, but only left around 3-4mm clearance from the balancer to the fan shroud (air con pulley removed from front of balancer).

OK moving on to the only bit i will be keeping, the CRS reverse sump, it is quite well made and has a different "belly" from the standard RB30 sump so its not just a RB sump reversed.
The sump has got reasonable baffels inside,(as well as a heeeaaaps of debris/bits of metal that took ages to clean out ,LOL) comes with reverse oil pick-up,but one of the pick-up bolts wont go in without mod's to the pick-up.
The oil pick-up would go in without mods, if i just shortened one of the bolts, but this would only leave about 3 turns of thread in the block holding the pick-up on :huh:

Also the oil dipstick tube needs to be removed from the block and placed in the factory rear dipstick tube hole (after knocking out the metal bung)

Sump seems to fit well in the car with enough clearance using both old and the new 08 mounts ,it does not hang to low compared to the X-member and the drain plug is easy to get to, the only downside is restricted room to get the converter bolts in, but i think it will be fine with decent tools.(mmm, maybe i should get some then ?,he-he)

Just so i could work things out, i got hold of some (2nd hand) old original CRS RB30-TORANA mounts, except for the fact that the heater fan shroud would need mods,and now i have seen both old and new mounts, i actually prefer the way the engine sits in the bay on the old mounts,lower and further back,this is good for centre of gravity (prob not much difference i know) but it just looks better to me.

The lower engine mounts also allows a bit more room for intake pipe etc and more maximum bonnet clearance for big high mount turbo (especially good now i have a GT4294R to get in there :D )

I have been in touch with CRS and they will now list the Trimatic - RB30 as "V8" Trimatic only to avoid any future confusion.

Also the sump pick-up bolt problem will be looked at.

Apparently any Future engine mounts will be better and not twist the rubber (all it needed is one more bend in manufacture),they did actually ask if they could send someone around to trial fit the new (straighter) 08 mounts in my car to make 100% sure they are correct, i said sure, as hope this will save drama's for others.

CRS do seem genuine in all efforts to fix all this,hope they do.

Sorry for the long post, i wanted to share all this info,mainly cos it really could have helped me when i started my conversion.

cheers,

MT

#30 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

The V8 Trimatic and 6 cylinder one are basically the same apart from a different bellhousing and input shaft. You can build a 6 cylinder into a V8 one and vise versa, so from your description all you need is to use a V8 input shaft on your transmission.

#31 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

The V8 Trimatic and 6 cylinder one are basically the same apart from a different bellhousing and input shaft. You can build a 6 cylinder into a V8 one and vise versa, so from your description all you need is to use a V8 input shaft on your transmission.

You can fit a V8 bellhousing onto the body of a 6cyl trimatic, i can't do myself cos dont have the tool to line everything up correctly,so i then have to pull out gearbox and take to shop.

Then i will need a new stall converter made (V8 stall is larger dia),so it will fit the V8 adapter (to go onto the CRS kit ) and i would need to substitute the "high" stall i have in the 6cyl auto already even more $$$

So i will have to pull gearbox out, change bellhousing and get a new stall made and then still use a CRS adapter plate.

A better option for me now,pull the auto out, get a adapter "bellhousing" trimatic to rb30 (one piece unit ) and get the required "custom" stall for that ,thus avoiding a spacer plate/adapter alltogether,

The money saved not buying the CRS adapter kit may pay for allmost half of all this.

MT

#32 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

torque power make bellhousings to suit rb30 trimatic.

about $420 i think. you can get them cheaper if you give him jatco(4n71b) bellhousings.

im using the eh style mounts and a crs trimatic crossmember and it fits fine.

#33 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

torque power make bellhousings to suit rb30 trimatic.

about $420 i think. you can get them cheaper if you give him jatco(4n71b) bellhousings.

im using the eh style mounts and a crs trimatic crossmember and it fits fine.

The Power Torque ones are around $500 plus post ,placed my order with Craig around 3 weeks ago (no sign yet)

Dominator also have a version but not sure if they recieve the same heat treatment process ?

With your conversion, did you have to move your gearbox back 40mm the extra lenth of the RB bellhousing ?

And what was envoled with making stall converter ,and how much did the custom converter cost ?

cheers

MT

#34 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:18 PM

i cant beleive it took them 3 or 4 years since i whinged at them that the engine didn't fit to finally make mounts to suit lh-uc.

it would be best to use the eh mounts as they will only make engine sit forward an inch, not up as well.

#35 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:14 PM

i cant beleive it took them 3 or 4 years since i whinged at them that the engine didn't fit to finally make mounts to suit lh-uc.

it would be best to use the eh mounts as they will only make engine sit forward an inch, not up as well.

Yes it is unfortunate,i think, things are only changing "now" because of new management at CRS.

do you have any pic's with eh mounts ?

MT

#36 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:29 AM

Posted Image

i've go some more that probably show the position better.
email me for those.

[email protected]

#37 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

Thanks Brett, i will keep your email handy.

Very nice conversion mate, some very clever/creative things i can see in your engine bay

not sure if i like the yellow, but everthing else looks great, well done ! :clap:

cheers

MT

#38 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:50 PM

Still no Bellhousing ! getting no satifaction through craig (not all his fault aparently) Dominator had one, so i just ordered it from them, should get it next week i hope ?

Busy week,been painting Block & fitting Manifolds/Turbo etc this week ,almost all together,(getting a bit closer) Engine almost ready for a test fit with all bolt-ons attached.

Posted Image

#39 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:59 AM

was that fuel rail from a guy on calaisturbo? i looked one ages ago, but i didnt go with due to clearance to the firewall. i dont have in frontn of me to check actual clearance now. i just modified rail to have an extra feed in the centre (it is return actually)

you should lose the braid around the pcv hose. looks tacky.

what turbo is that? what is the square section on the comp housing?

#40 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:41 AM

was that fuel rail from a guy on calaisturbo? i looked one ages ago, but i didnt go with due to clearance to the firewall. i dont have in frontn of me to check actual clearance now. i just modified rail to have an extra feed in the centre (it is return actually)

Its just a common aftermarket fuel rail for RB30's, it comes in "spankfactor" anodised gold but i painted it black, firewall clearance should be OK ? but may have to bend heater hoses slightly to go around it.

you should lose the braid around the pcv hose. looks tacky.

ahh man tis "fully sik bro" (ha-ha).... yeh wont be staying on, just had it on to test Throttle Body TPS clearance etc.

what turbo is that? what is the square section on the comp housing?

Its a Garrett GT4294R

http://www.expresspa...rod=774070-5001

square top looks a bit dumb, no idea what its for, maybe its a mounting point for use in Ocean Liner's (LOL) :D

MT

#41 _cal-a-kid_

_cal-a-kid_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:43 AM

Engine looks the goods mate! Can't wait to see it slotted into the torana bay... Keep up the awesome work!

Dean

#42 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

Engine looks the goods mate!  Can't wait to see it slotted into the torana bay... Keep up the awesome work!

Dean

Thanks Dean,yeh me too !

Hows your Beastie going ,do you know what 1/4 mile times/MPH are you running now ?

Ok have sent Gearbox & Bellhousing away to get fitted to each other,decided to go manual valve body also while they had it.

For anyone interested,here are some Pic's of the RB30 to Trimatic Bellhousing....

https://cache.gmh-to...llhousing11.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...llhousing22.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...llhousing33.jpg

As you can see it will make the Gearbox longer (around 45mm), this means i will have to move Gearbox X-member mount back and get tail-shaft shortened by the same amount.

MT

#43 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:28 PM

Bloody hell, that car should fly once its going, what sort of power are you looking to get?

#44 _cal-a-kid_

_cal-a-kid_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:41 PM

I will be getting a mad box built for mine soon... Then I will be out at the drags... Atm its just slipping up too bad... Disappointing but that is the way it goes I guess.

Any updates on yours?

Dean

#45 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

Bloody hell, that car should fly once its going, what sort of power are you looking to get?

I have seen this same eng/set-up with bigger/better plenum make around 450-500hp @ wheels on 20psi

The Plenum i am using is a bit of a unknown, i am using it because it will allow me to run the pollution gear needed for compliance/registration etc

If it makes just over 400hp @Wheels and does not lean out any cylinders etc i may leave the current plenum on, if not i will change it.

Dean, what box you going to use ? make sure you let us know what you run, i put the engine in for a test fit this week, fits OK need gearbox on to get exact eng angle, not happy with my Turbo oil return line,apparently most Turbo failures are oil feed/return related so decided to change it to be sure.

MT

#46 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

Thanks MT, thats certainly going to be one very quick car, I hope all goes well! :spoton:

#47 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

OK, sat engine a gearbox together fitted in the car ( with new bellhousing ) and could not help but notice that the gearbox sits high on the passenger side :huh:

After checking everything many times ,I sent the bellhousing back to get the alignment checked but it appears to be within correct spec's.

So i think that the CRS engine mounts must not sit the RB30 at the same angle as in a VL.

This means any gearbox bolted to my RB30 will not sit level,to make things worse the gearbox will lift even more on the high side (passenger side) as the engine torque's up (twists) on acceleration.

I have now ordered a new bellhousing adjusted to compensate for this, thanks must go to Autoflite Engineering/Dominator who have been very helpfull so far.

I wondered about all the other people that have used the CRS mounts,did you guy's come across this ?

cheers

MT

#48 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

Yep, my rb25 sits abit to the passenger side. That's why it's at Pro Fab to get all the clearances checked out and other mods done.

#49 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

same here, so i slotted my engine mount to get it sitting better.

#50 _RB26DETT_

_RB26DETT_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:17 PM

i had to modify my CRS mounts as well i actual had to bring the motor 20mm further forward as it was way to tight out the back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users