- - - - -

Turbo Torana

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#51 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

i had to modify my CRS mounts as well i actual had to bring the motor 20mm further forward as it was way to tight out the back

What was the radiator/fan set up you used then?

#52 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:07 PM

i had to modify my CRS mounts as well i actual had to bring the motor 20mm further forward as it was way to tight out the back

Please feel free to post pic's of your engine bay in this thread (that goes for anyone else with a RB engine in a torana)

I would like this thread to house as much info on this type of conversion for others to see, cos i so wish i had all this info before i started mine.

So if any of you have anything you would like to share that will be usefull in helping others on this topic, then please post away. :spoton:

Dont be shy, if you think it's usefull, let us all know PLEASE ! ( pic's are welcome too )

Thanks,

MT

#53 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:27 AM

rb bay position

heres the best image i have showing postition in bay. this is with 25mm forward spacing (or eh mounts)

skyline radiator, au fans.

#54 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

Been busy of late, got a fair bit done, hope the Engine can stay in for good now!

Getting close to initial "start-up" now, these pic's should give a idea of how it will look when finished anyway......

Posted Image

Posted Image

MT

#55 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:15 PM

What's that meas grille thing in the picture for, the one next to cartman.

#56 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

What's that meas grille thing in the picture for, the one next to cartman.

LOL ...Yeh i forgot about Cartman (he's been in the Engine bay for about over 8yrs)

The Mesh thing is a air vent, i made for my old Turbo engine (extra heat made by the Turbo) i made it about the time when Cartman got left inside,

On the inside of the mesh, is a sealed vent that runs up to the wiper cowl grill holes/slots (seperating it from the air normally behind the wiper cowl area)

I guess its sort-of same principle as lifting the back of a bonnet for cooling ,but without attracting attention

MT

#57 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

Does it work?

#58 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

nice airbox. i looked at doing this (assume its vt) but endeing up making one out of ally to enclose a big pod.

did you have to mash the lower section to fit it?

why the xf throttle body? they are so big and ugly yet small throttle plate.

#59 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:23 PM

Does it work?

Yes, from memory i was very happy at the time, hard to give any figures of temps, but when the eng is hot you can feel hot air coming out above the vent area of the cowl.

nice airbox. i looked at doing this (assume its vt) but endeing up making one out of ally to enclose a big pod.

Thanks Brett, yes it is from a commoNdore,i liked it because it has a 3.5 inch outlet with a bellmouth inlet and takes a large surface area filter,i will feed cold air from underneath/front,
just need a K&N for it now !

did you have to mash the lower section to fit it?

Its only dummy fit ATM so i have not mounted it yet, but for sure it will need cutting, it's a brand new item so i want to be sure what im doing before i butcher it.

why the xf throttle body? they are so big and ugly yet small throttle plate.

It is what heaps of the "fast" VL Turbo guys seem run, they are 3inch Dia so flow heaps (some have run 9's with them)

and as for UGLY,what do you expect from "FORD" parts :D

MT

#60 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

Yay!.. got the engine started today,ran bit rough at first, but smooth as soon as it got a bit of heat into it ,did not have to touch the throttle at all tho, just turn the key and it ran,

AAAHH Fuel Injection !

Sounds real "tuff" with just the 3 1/2 inch dump pipe, not so sure the neighbours will think so but....... :D

Have not yet activated thermo fan trigger on the Microtech (mate borrowed my laptop) so had to turn engine off when it got warm.

I was amazed by how much drive/push ive got at idle when i engaged "drive" on the auto, considering it has a 4500rpm stall i thought it woud be way less inclined to creep forward like most auto's do, might be nice on the street after all ?

MT

#61 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:59 AM

usually turbo car with big stalls convertors are very streetable as its the torque that give them the stall speed and on no boost there making no torque so they drive well then when you get them up on boost they then start to make the power makeing the convertor bigger

#62 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:47 AM

usually turbo car with big stalls convertors are very streetable as its the torque that give them the stall speed and on no boost there making no torque so they drive well then when you get them up on boost they then start to make the power makeing the convertor bigger

Yeh for sure,my mate's got a 3800rpm stall in his 2jz VK on a slight incline though, it will roll backwards in drive, but as you say, it will flare (flash stall speed) on boost ,to around 6000ish.

Biggest stall ive had is 2800-3000 stall with my last turbo engine and did not expect this "much bigger" stall to be as responsive off idle,ive only done a quick test up to 2G under brakes in the garage, and as you obviously know, stationary on the brakes is not the correct way to check your stall speed anyway.

Going off my mates car i guess i expected mine to be worse than his, but he has different everything so not totally sure what i am realy comparing it to ?

Just have to wait till i can drive it i spose,be interesting to see what it will "flash" to under Boost.

MT

#63 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:04 PM

heres mine hopefully get exhaust manifold and intercooler piping made this week

Posted Image

#64 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

Cool,thanks for posting pic (got any more),love looking at what other's have done/doing with regard to RB's in torrie's

Just out of interest what size cooler pipes are you going to go with ?

Wow huge plenum ! must be at least 7-8 litre's ? Billet Throttle body is VERY nice.

What Turbo are you running ? (looks like a GT35) do you have any engine mods ?

Are you going to be running Auto or Man ?

OK tooo many questions now (lol)

MT

#65 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:29 PM

75mm cooler piping.
turbo is a T04Z
currently has a 2 speed powerglide but as off tonight im looking at going a 4 speed manual G-Force dog box
Yes plenuim is 7 liter
the engine made 460RWHP with a GT35r @ 22psi

the engine will be stripped as ive got new ARGO rods for it as im chasing more power.
external oil pump, ported head, race spec cam, haltech computer

#66 _panthervs_

_panthervs_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

here is a pic of my rb30 into lc, ill get more pics up when its done

Posted Image

#67 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:35 AM

tell me more about your external pump.

single stage? or your std dry sump 3 stage $1000 job.

75mm cooler piping.
turbo is a T04Z
currently has a 2 speed powerglide but as off tonight im looking at going a 4 speed manual G-Force dog box
Yes plenuim is 7 liter

the engine will be stripped as ive got new ARGO rods for it as im chasing more power.

#68 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:49 AM

here is a pic of my rb30 into lc, ill get more pics up when its done

Posted Image

Hey good work, keep em comin,are you gonna stay N/A or plan to add Boost later ?

75mm cooler piping.
turbo is a T04Z
Yes plenuim is 7 liter

How come you are gonna bin the auto ?, i love the glide's behind big HP turbo's

MT

#69 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:08 PM

Wow, so many RB's going into decent cars for the first time. Go the RB boys's in the torana's.

I will have my UC RB25 done by december, well that is the plan...

#70 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

I wanna see more pics of twin cam RBs in LH-UC's.

Seems most of the pics are all single cam heads!

Grant..

#71 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

I wanna see more pics of twin cam RBs in LH-UC's.

Seems most of the pics are all single cam heads!

Grant..

geeezzz..... thort moving to a engine with ONE "overhead cam" i was doing well ! (LOL)

single cam leave's more room for a BIGGER turbo :tease: Ha-ha!

MT

#72 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

brett

its a peterson single stage pump so still a wet sump but the pump mounts outside same as a dry sump pump. And there $1000 plus bracket, belt,gears and braid and fittings.

im binning the glide as i dont want to have the convertor dramas and the trouble getting on boost. with the manual you just hold it flat and side step the clutch then just pull gears. sounds simple im sure it will be a fun ride.

here ya go this is why im going manual. NO nitrous to get on boost . this is running a G-force box

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=eb1TEs05V5Q

#73 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:09 PM

brett

im binning the glide as i dont want to have the convertor dramas and the trouble getting on boost. with the manual you just hold it flat and side step the clutch then just pull gears. sounds simple im sure it will be a fun ride.

here ya go this is why im going manual. NO nitrous to get on boost . this is running a G-force box

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=eb1TEs05V5Q

So will your car be a clutchless manual set up like i think VL God use's then ?

I kinda get the feeling your not making a "street" car then ???

MT

#74 _panthervs_

_panthervs_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

Has anyone who is running an rb used the original engine fan and shroud?? Also can soemone take a pic of how they mounted their radiator? cheers

#75 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:49 PM

mumstaxi it Will be a street car. it uses a dump clutch off the line and you just hold it flat and pull gears. on the street you have to doube shuffel like a old truck ha ha

heres some info on them

The G-101 racing 4-speed transmission is the ultimate in 4-speed performance. This transmission can be built as a clutchless or clutch assisted model and has a wide range of applications. The G-101 is primarily used for drag racing only, but can also be used in street/strip vehicles. This transmission is capable of handling the power of some of the fastest Super Stock, Stock, NMRA, NMCA, NSCA, and import vehicles. The G-101 has virtually endless drag racing applications where a 'super duty' clutch assisted transmission is required. The gears in this model are extra wide to ensure long gear life and optimum performance. This transmission can be used with a Long H-pattern or Vertical Gate shifter. Many of the Super Stock and NSCA competitors have switched to the G-101 for improved reliability.
The G-Force G-101 4-Speed
Transmission is shown above
with the Long V-Gate Shifter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users