Photo

Some Photos of an Extremely Historical LC!

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#26 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

theres also info on the car when janson had it in one of the giant killer mags. are there any numbers left on this car to trace it back through cams? im sure Daz and his mate have been very busy exhausting there efforts tracing this cars foot steps. does anyone have a photo of the car when watto had it?

Would a CAMS log book do Jamie?
R

yes rory cams books would be great but are they books from 1970 onwards or are they a new set. do they have Janson or any HDT names in them tell us more
I dont think theres anyone knocking this cars pedegree as yet, and im sure Daz and the owner have all the answers and pics that were asking about. how ever theres a few apparent RACE cars getting around that have been rebuilt from a logbook and a few race parts and im not just refering to LC or LJ but A9X and commodores and im sure the fords are in the same boat.

cheers
Jamie

Edited by gtr-xu1, 02 January 2008 - 12:07 PM.

#27 _crocko05_

_crocko05_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

Are you saying this is HDT 'Beast MkI'!!!!!!........ :tease: ........ :clappin:

...or 'MkII', ie the Sports Sedan?

Edited by crocko05, 02 January 2008 - 12:11 PM.

#28 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:39 PM

All will be explained...tonight I suspect.
R

#29 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Saw this car for sale in a car yard in Adelaide quite a few years ago, with current bodywork, colour scheme and blower. Had a $6k pricetag, but I kept my hands in my pockets, as it wouldn't have made a good daily driver ......... :rolleyes:

#30 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

[QUOTE]Saw this car for sale in a car yard in Adelaide quite a few years ago, with current bodywork, colour scheme and blower. Had a $6k pricetag, but I kept my hands in my pockets, as it wouldn't have made a good daily driver .........

Were you not feeling well that day :tease:

#31 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

howdy folks,so many questions but good to see the interest...i'll start here..the car is not the beast mk 1,but it does have a lot of the components that were on that car. some are still on the engine, some have remained with the car in the parts box. the blower is not the one from KLD-158,that is in ian tate's posession. i have a letter from peter brock to the previous owner in which pb says that the idler pulley and other components look to be as he remembered,but the blower had 'finer'ribs on the casing than the one on the car now.
the car is currently logged and has been since 1976 when it was bought from janson by alan lukins...in a deal with another hdt car which was also owned by janson at the time, ' saggy sarah' (which janson named the car,not bruce watt)made its way to bruce watt and nick burgess who turned the car into a sports sedan. the pic of the car earlier in this thread as a blue and white car is as it was in 1978( note the cams stamp on the edge of the pic). part of this paint scheme remains intact under the left rear flare!
the registration no recorded in the log book from this period is BJD-440...now if you read the '74 giant killers article'four long years ago' it gives a mostly correct history of BJD-440,..'started life as the 10th xu1 produced and was given suitable legal tuning, then as a holden dealer team entry in the 1970 sandown 250 and later the hardie ferodo 500 at bathurst' it was driven at both events by colin bond'....the car also did lakeside,oran park and the winton 1500 with bond at the wheel, add a night meeting at oran park with bob morris at the wheel. that's 1970.
the thing that is not correct in the article is that is says the car stayed in sydney and was used in some early '71 races. incorrect because in jan. '71 this car was competing in the new caledonian safari. george shepheard has confirmed this as BJD-440 was " made from col's old bathurst car,that's our first rally car. the girl's car became BOI-812 our second one"
the car was painted green when it was converted to the rally format prior to noumea.... this was confirmed by george shepheard,colin bond,barry ferguson,joe felice and peter janson.....others who have contributed to the history "hunt" are .........peter byrne, graham alexander,of course ian tate and frank lowndes who have both verified the car( frank has also checked the log book), wayne mahnken, ian splatt,don grant,craig bowring,jim middleton, daz who has had several discussions with HF about the car. also max stahl and ray berghouse for there assistance and david blanche(autopics)
the car is also the one in the movie about hdt,' when your hot your hot' and is on the cover of the 'LC' issue of AMC,flying through the air with all 6 lights ablaze!
the info. i have been able to get from publications of the day has been priceless, Racing Car News, giant killers,the history of holden in motorsport,auto action which contained an add from 1983 that michael tate found when bruce watt had the car for sale( it had the red and white dealer team inspired paint at this point)
i hope this will answer some of the questions and give you some insight as to the amount of research that has been done, i've only told you about the race history to jan '71.......it has around 100,000 racing miles on it !
cheers for now laz

#32 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:53 PM

Some very interesting reading there Laz!

The bid question on everybody's lips is

"Whats your plans for the car ????

L :spoton:

#33 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

now there's the hard question, no not really that hard. the body and paint will get a tidy up,as to which colour/scheme/era i'm not sure....but i stress the car is ready to race and is currently logged as a sports sedan for open comp.
if you had a car that was ready to take to a track and you knew for sure that bond,brock,morris,janson,ferguson,kilfoyle,shepheard,bruce watt and the the three previous owners have raced/rallied......you would have to have a steer would'nt ya?
laz

#34 _willo_

_willo_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

of course ya would...if ya dont then you are a f*cking sheila!!!!

#35 _crocko05_

_crocko05_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

If it's of any help, CAMS has granted 'Historic' status to Sports Sedans (pre-1986). From July 1, 2008, Group U - Historic Sports Sedans will become a reality, open to log-booked cars that actually competed in Aust prior to 1986 (NO REPLICAS) and presented in the period-correct race livery and mechanical spec outlined in the Vehicle' Certificate of Description. Same as the Group A & Group C Historics.

Watch out for a bunch of Sports Sedans about to hit the tracks, including;
Pete Geoghegan's Craven Mild HJ Munro
the HDT LH Torana- Repco V8
John McCormack's Charger Repco V8 and Jag XJS V12
Ron Harrop's EH-Repco V8
Jim Richards' 'Big M' Falcon Hardtop
....and others.

Seen as 'saggy sarah' is still is S/S guise, may be easier to go the 1978 route? Just a suggestion...... :D

Edited by crocko05, 02 January 2008 - 08:06 PM.

#36 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

Love the comment Willo!

I guess you have a dilhema on your hand Laz!

I wish I was in your shoes!

good luck with the car !

cheers
Luke :spoton:

#37 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:44 PM

of course ya would...if ya dont then you are a f*cking sheila!!!!

Willo you are SSSOOO Australian!..Luv ya!

I would hope then...a CAMS logbook with the rego number and Bruce Watts name as previous owner might establish providence? Works for me.
R

Edited by rorym, 02 January 2008 - 08:46 PM.

#38 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

thanks for the suggestions crocko5, that is what ian tate, frank lowndes, wayne mahnken and craig bowring have suggested as well. there is not much to do to take it back to '82 spec when bruce last ran it. ...remove front splitter,rear wing, replace the ida with the twin 2" su's in stock and swap the front brakes back to hq, paint it white with red stripes !...sounds easy when you read it quick ! :blink:
cheers laz

#39 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

now there's the hard question, no not really that hard. the body and paint will get a tidy up,as to which colour/scheme/era i'm not sure....

Uncover a bit more of it's "heritage" paint and put a coat of clear over the lot. :spoton:

#40 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:15 PM

Sagman, that is awesome stuff. You mention that Bond raced this car at Sandown and Bathurst in 1970, where it was yellow. Was the 1970 Sandown 3 hour its first race (pretty sure Bond came 2nd that day)? And was its first colour yellow? Thanks.

#41 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:12 AM

yes that is correct, it first raced as a yellow car and it finished 2nd to moffat, at bathurst it qual 4th,passed moffat french and others into murray's and led for the first few laps, of course it ran into trouble later in the race, 5th at lakeside,3 out of 3 for morris at oran pk. night meet and 2nd to brock twice at winton during the 1500....incidently , brock was driving KRK-720 at winton( the 'girl's' car)
if you look at some old pics you will see what the rego. no. was on this car, VIC plate !
keep in mind that when this car raced at sandown it had a permit on the windscreen thats how close to the event it was finished off after being painted yellow, it actually left the factory linamint. HF confirmed this to daz in a phone discussion last year !
cheers laz

#42 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:21 AM

yes that is correct, it first raced as a yellow car and it finished 2nd to moffat, at bathurst it qual 4th,passed moffat french and others into murray's and led for the first few laps, of course it ran into trouble later in the race, 5th at lakeside,3 out of 3 for morris at oran pk. night meet and 2nd to brock twice at winton during the 1500....incidently , brock was driving KRK-720 at winton( the 'girl's' car)
if you look at some old pics you will see what the rego. no. was on this car, VIC plate !
keep in mind that when this car raced at sandown it had a permit on the windscreen thats how close to the event it was finished off after being painted yellow, it actually left the factory linamint. HF confirmed this to daz in a phone discussion last year !
cheers laz

Thanks for that laz. Those first few laps of Bathurst 1970 were great! I see it had the plates KSN-116 on it at Bathurst 1970. I gather HF transferred those plates to another LC that went on and had the V8 conversion? I think I read here before that HDT transferred plates between cars at times.

#43 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:19 PM

Thanks to Bruce.(three blind mice).Christine and Sandra still look good!..Chris is probably still married to Bill Brown as well!..(My newsagent when I lived in Ryde,Yep..the one that rolled the Phase 3 at Bathurst)
R
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by rorym, 04 January 2008 - 05:21 PM.

#44 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

I have been informed Christine Cole married Fred Gibson ,Bill Brown married Sue Ransom . Sue drove with Christine in the 73 ,but not a Torana (an Alfa) .And the 1970 the girls drove the Linamint, Colin Bond drove the yellow by himself. In 71 Brockie also drove alone.They didn't even have a water bottle in the car .

#45 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:55 PM

DOH!..Correct again!...I AM getting OLD!! :cry: Sue was blonde...I should have remembered that!. :huh:
R

Edited by rorym, 04 January 2008 - 07:06 PM.

#46 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Great read its good to hear about these cars and there story

#47 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

Sue drove a V6 Capri too off memory...about 78?
R

#48 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,117 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

Rory how can you remember all this stuff at your age its amazing. :D

#49 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

it's all those drugs!!...8 oz's of every pound....and the old guy reckon's i was a dud root... he was like a doctor...you'll feel a very small prick......as i told rory earlier alchohol preserves old things.......lol
laz

#50 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,117 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

How true how true

2 user(s) are reading this topic