xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

Edited by xu2308, 17 February 2018 - 04:47 AM.

#52 _xu-2_

_xu-2_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

just adding more fuel to the debate, some of you guys are warm on this topic but some of you are way off. Allan Mills is the closest to the truth on this topic, especially regarding the SMP and Orange car.

Apart from the few HDT built prototypes, a few dealerships that were involved in racing via backdoor sponsorship also built their own V8 XU-1s.

Not all prototypes were destroyed, the SMP car was also sold through the back door like the Orange car. There was also a Glacier White car which was built for a GMH executive and was most complete of all cars. It had duel fillers, it also had the xu-2 stickers, came with a Munsie four speed and a nine inch diff.

The car still exists till today- stay tuned.
Posted Image

Cheer
xu-2

#53 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

If anyone thinks one of these cars still exist, speak to Ray Borret, he put them all into the crash barrier at Lang lang. He walked into the HDT workshops one afternoon and said to Ian Tate "well , we just put the last one into the barrier". Give Ian a call, he's easy to get hold of.

#54 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

A mate of mine saw....

My sisters boyfriend was....

This has been a great read, just watching the UFO story on Today Tonight.

That was a great story too, and about as much credibility.

#55 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

Apart from the few HDT built prototypes, a few dealerships that were involved in racing via backdoor sponsorship also built their own V8 XU-1s.

Nice to have some history, but does a dealer-built car qualify as genuine/factory?

#56 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:19 AM

If anyone thinks one of these cars still exist, speak to Ray Borret, he put them all into the crash barrier at Lang lang. He walked into the HDT workshops one afternoon and said to Ian Tate "well , we just put the last one into the barrier". Give Ian a call, he's easy to get hold of.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Mick, if all were put into a crash barrier then why was Joe Felice,s car at Bathurst in October of 1973 ? I have been told by Joe he drove this car until 1974 before he recieved his new LH SLR 5000.

Harry Firth even admits his LC prototype was sold, and admits Joe Felice,s car was sold as well.............. (1974)

I rest my case.................

#57 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:14 PM

That doesn't prove anything actually because I didn't say when it was put into the crash barrier, I just said it was put into the crash barrier, meaning the cars would not exist today....
Several of these things have claimed to have been out there over the years, none have actually raised their heads.

#58 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

That doesn't prove anything actually because I didn't say when it was put into the crash barrier, I just said it was put into the crash barrier, meaning the cars would not exist today....
Several of these things have claimed to have been out there over the years, none have actually raised their heads.

Joe car did exist,i have proof to that. ???????????????
and pink car i believe did too
The White Car im not sure about that,that might be the crash barrier one,but not what Norm Darwin told Eddie L Ford the Editor of Custom Rodder Magazine,and Norm Darwin worked at the R and D Workshop where they were Buit,i have spoke to Ray Borrett,and ray told me he is not sure what happened to the prototypes he believes they were crash barrier tested,but he dident know for sure.?????????? I have sent ray the stuff i have on the Orange GMH LJ XU-1 Prototype,so ray knows now that the orange Car wasent crash Barriered Due to what i have uncovered.

Edited by xu2308, 17 February 2018 - 04:51 AM.

#59 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

I sent Ian Tate the Stuff on the Orange GMH LJ XU-1,ring Ian Tate up and ask him did Allan Mills send him a Vic roads Archive Letter on the Joe felice GMH Car,it has the Vic rego Number on it and the engine Number.
Joe has one too
Ray borrett has one too
There you are,there Proof as these guys are the Players and they have the info from me about orange GMH Car.

Edited by xu2308, 17 February 2018 - 04:51 AM.

#60 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

show us mate...show us your proof..its all so and so said this and so and so said that
or are you trying to say you own one??? do you think ian tate wants to be bombarded
with phone calls???

#61 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

i tryed to post on here,it wouldent Load Due to to big to load,but i will email to reda9x.tell him to send me a email with his email address and i will email him the proof,and he can tell you that im speaking truth ok.

#62 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

show us mate...show us your proof..its all so and so said this and so and so said that
or are you trying to say you own one??? do you think ian tate wants to be bombarded
with phone calls???

How Can i own the Orange Car,when it was Stolen in 1985 in Bundora in Vic,and still listed as stolen to this day by Vic Roads

#63 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

pm me I'll send you my email
The ongoing problem with these always come back to the cars no longer exist and so all the talking in the world will prove nothing. It's a bit like Brock telling everyone the 05 VK is in QLD, when there is proof out there to say otherwise.

#64 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

pm me I'll send you my email
The ongoing problem with these always come back to the cars no longer exist and so all the talking in the world will prove nothing. It's a bit like Brock telling everyone the 05 VK is in QLD, when there is proof out there to say otherwise.

Red i cant access your profile.To PM you
I tryed,can you PM me

Edited by xu2308, 17 February 2018 - 04:52 AM.

#65 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

I am not a disbeleiver Alan...just need more that whats been said to be convinced. As to dealer cars, there was a dealer in Adelaide knocking them out at a rate of knots. I have 2 friends, Andy Monks and Alan McDonald (no relationship) that bought 2 of them new with zero miles from that dealer. I am sure other dealers across Australia also did the same. I would love to see one of the originals but until it's produced...we are speculating.
R

#66 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

A mate of mine saw....

My sisters boyfriend was....

This has been a great read, just watching the UFO story on Today Tonight.

That was a great story too, and about as much credibility.

Shush you! I can get in enought trouble for both of us.!!
R

#67 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:48 AM

I am not a disbeleiver Alan...just need more that whats been said to be convinced. As to dealer cars, there was a dealer in Adelaide knocking them out at a rate of knots. I have 2 friends, Andy Monks and Alan McDonald (no relationship) that bought 2 of them new with zero miles from that dealer. I am sure other dealers across Australia also did the same. I would love to see one of the originals but until it's produced...we are speculating.
R

Rory
i heard the dealer in Adelaide Built 5-V8 LJ XU-1's
Is there any of them Alive today in Adelaide or any where,and what colour's were
the Adelaide Dealer Built One's,i heard that dealer closed down years ago,and not
around any more,never heard of any other dealer in any other State Building any,
only the Adelaide Dealer doing it.
I have a Street Machine Magazine,its issue oct-nov 1983
There is a Red LJ XU-1 V8 its a Adelaide car,the owner name is Frank Ceravolo
S.A Reg number RYY.829,it has hotwire mags, Frank says his LJ XU-1 Goes back a few years and the
S.A Road Traffic Board told him there were 5 LJ V8 Torana's built and given the OK.
So that sounds like the 5 then,well one is Red then,Frank Ceravolo LJ XU-1
I wonder what the other colour's are,only 4 more to find,thanks to Street Machine Magazine.

Edited by xu2308, 17 February 2018 - 04:52 AM.

#68 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

A guy I know was a Holden dealer in the 70's, he had one in his dealership to guage interest.

When the project was scrapped he bought it, but was sold off many years ago and whereabouts are unknown.

Most of the other V8's went back to the factory and had sixes fitted into them and replated.

It was a four door in tan colour I believe and had XU-1 brakes on the front

If I was you I'd get all the numbers and post them up, that should tell you, because the guys i was talking to said the plates showed it was a V8.

this bloke now owns a car yard in adelaide selling high end mercs and porches.

I could find his phone number if I looked in the phonebook I guess

Cheers

Loui

Loui

Hi Loui
was the Guys Named Mike Ayres and was the dealer City State Holden in Adelaide,as i Heard the one you are talking about,was bought by Mike Ayres,He was the manager of City State Holden Adelaide then. And he moved to Melbourne in 1973 with that car,and started work at Sothern Motors Holden
in Melbourne as used car manager,and then he got Southern Motors to sell it in late 1973 or early 1974 in Melbourne.
I heard he runs a Car yard now selling porches etc,Peter Braida told me,he worked at Southern Motors
melbourne,when Mike Ayres turned up with this LJ XU-1 V8 Car,it had 308 in it,and a Twin System on it. Peter Braida told me more about it.
Regards Allan

#69 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

Found out the Holden Dealer in Adelaide that Built the 5 V8 LJ XU-1's was Citystate Motors 43-69 Sturt Street Adelaide. They Shut Down years ago,im not sure what year.Mike Ayres in the man that knows a lot about these 5-Built V8 LJ XU-1's.
So its finding Mike Ayres to unsolve some of the mystery on the Adelaide Dealer Built Cars,i heard he works at a car yard selling Porsches or Merc etc somewhere,maybe Adeliade im not sure.

Edited by xu2308, 17 February 2018 - 04:50 AM.

#70 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

So in effect a dealers car modified to a V8 before being sold is no different to anyone else fitting a V8 after they bought an XU1.

Cheers
Herne

#71 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

So in effect a dealers car modified to a V8 before being sold is no different to anyone else fitting a V8 after they bought an XU1.

Cheers
Herne

Only Diff,is the Holden dealer in Adelaide that Built them Cars gave warranty and had Holden Full blessing and approval to do it,Mike Ayres would be interesting to chat to about the Adelaide Dealer Cars

#72 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hi Loui
was the Guys Named Mike Ayres and was the dealer City State Holden in Adelaide,as i Heard the one you are talking about,was bought by Mike Ayres,He was the manager of City State Holden Adelaide then. And he moved to Melbourne in 1973 with that car,and started work at Sothern Motors Holden
in Melbourne as used car manager,and then he got Southern Motors to sell it in late 1973 or early 1974 in Melbourne.
I heard he runs a Car yard now selling porches etc,Peter Braida told me,he worked at Southern Motors
melbourne,when Mike Ayres turned up with this LJ XU-1 V8 Car,it had 308 in it,and a Twin System on it. Peter Braida told me more about it.
Regards Allan

The guys name was Lyle (not sure last name) Sits in the office smoking a pipe(tobacco) all day

The yard he works at is dirctly across the road from arndale shopping center on regency rd.

Did a search of yellow pages but could not find any info, Its been 2 years since I've be there, so dunno if it still exists.

Cheers

Loui

#73 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:43 AM

Edited by xu2308, 17 February 2018 - 04:49 AM.

#74 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:02 AM

This pic been posted before but though you may want to see it again.
After what Loui said

It was a four door in tan colour I believe and had XU-1 brakes on the front

Interesting Pic LJ front LC dash and LC seats
South Australian racing driver Paul Gustaffson with Channel 10 news reader Noel O'Connor, Bob Williams (state manager of Bridgestone Tyres) and New Faces compere Warwick Prime. Pictured with Gustaffson's V8 Torana painted in the Channel 10 colours and with the number 96

Posted Image

Edited by LC69GTR, 24 April 2009 - 07:05 AM.

#75 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:21 AM

Cool LC69GTR
As Loui said a 4 Door,i dident read it properly,Looks Like Adelaide Loved there Sport Sedan Racing in the Day,
With the V8 LJ's,and there 5-Dealer Built LJ XU-1 V8's.
Wonder if any one Remembers Citystate motors Selling V8 LJ XU-1's in 1972-1973. ???????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users