genuine LJ 5 litre?

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#76 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

Alan,
Alan McDonalds car was a Salamance Red car..pretty sure Andy's was an Orange car, Lone O Ranger. Macca got the shits with breaking diffs and fitted a 9" into it..
R

#77 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

Thanks rory for that,wonder if they are still around in Adelaide or any on the Adelaide Dealer built ones.
Regards Allan

#78 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:13 PM

show us mate...show us your proof..its all so and so said this and so and so said that
or are you trying to say you own one??? do you think ian tate wants to be bombarded
with phone calls???

still no proof....i offered to post your docs..and what happened to reds attempt to
post for you???????

#79 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:29 AM

still no proof....i offered to post your docs..and what happened to reds attempt to
post for you???????

Speak to REDA9X
ok,i have spoke to him about Subject,Ask him what he thinks now ok

#80 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

very interesting discussion guys , well two of the gmh produced cars were crashed at lang lang but joe felice's orange car was not.......joes car was stolen at one time and the motor and box were removed, it was recovered in tact otherwise and was refitted with an xu1 engine and gearbox......joe continued to use the car as his daily until his new slr 500 was delivered(as mentioned earlier)...it definately was not destroyed unlike the other two !
besides the pic in the thread at bath.'73 , on the old race photo's site under l34 you will find a pic of it at phillip island in 74 in the background.
the dealer in SA that built 2 V8 toranas, they were 's'coupes was reeves garage at mclaren vale . one is undergoing a rebuild as i understand it at the moment, the other car is still rego'd, still red and is on owner no 6.
laz

#81 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

very interesting discussion guys , well two of the gmh produced cars were crashed at lang lang but joe felice's orange car was not.......joes car was stolen at one time and the motor and box were removed, it was recovered in tact otherwise and was refitted with an xu1 engine and gearbox......joe continued to use the car as his daily until his new slr 500 was delivered(as mentioned earlier)...it definately was not destroyed unlike the other two !
besides the pic in the thread at bath.'73 , on the old race photo's site under l34 you will find a pic of it at phillip island in 74 in the background.
the dealer in SA that built 2 V8 toranas, they were 's'coupes was reeves garage at mclaren vale . one is undergoing a rebuild as i understand it at the moment, the other car is still rego'd, still red and is on owner no 6.
laz

Citystate Motors in Adelaide Built 5-V8 LJ XU-1's as well, Yes Joe Car was Sold in Vic at a Holden dealer in 1974 as a 6Cyl but it was a QL 202 Motor not a XU-1 JP Engine,Joe told me that the Orange Car got stolen and they took the 308 out of it,it was recovered a few days later,and in 1985 the Poor thing got stolen again,how unlucky that Orange LJ XU-1 was.
I dont Believe the Pink or White GMH LJ XU-1's did the last Ride down the Barrier testing Place,but i do Believe the GMH Green one did as GMH want to see how one Crashed with a 308 on Board.But only that one,thats what i believe

Edited by xu2308, 17 February 2018 - 04:54 AM.

#82 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

Why did'nt they put XU-2 on the side of an LH/LX ?

For me an XU-2 was always going to be an LJ V8 ...

If they had gone through with a genuine LJ 5 litre, I wonder
how this would have affected the way the LH/LX model turned
out.

HUH?
Posted Image

#83 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

I think that LH was a Clay Model for the LH XU2 but Due to Supercar Scare,Holden stayed away from the name and used the SLR5000 L34 Name.
But Harry invented the V8 LJ and he called it XU2 and i allways thought the inventer got to choose the name ????????
Thats how it works i thought,and the Big XU2 Decals that Holden got made up by a Vic sticker place,were made for the V8 LJ.

Edited by xu2308, 17 February 2018 - 04:55 AM.

#84 _evilsim_

_evilsim_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

That must be the reason why they never put XU-2 on the side ... looks wrong. I'm glad that never happened.

Edited by evilsim, 25 April 2009 - 01:51 PM.

#85 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

Supercar Scare thats why

#86 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

If you read AMC and Harry's interview He clearly states it was never going to be the XU-2...It was always going to but XU-1 V8. But it is still all make believe..".he says the white and pink car were crashed", "I don't believe they were"..."I saw one here or there"....it's still all speculation.
R

Edited by rorym, 25 April 2009 - 04:25 PM.

#87 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

If you read AMC and Harry's interview He clearly states it was never going to be the XU-2...It was always going to but XU-1 V8. But it is still all make believe..".he says the white and pink car were crashed", "I don't believe they were"..."I saw one here or there"....it's still all speculation.
R

Well Rory
As Mulder says The Truth is out there and I Believe???????????

#88 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

Hahaha! Fair enough Alan!..Good comeback!
R

#89 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Hahaha! Fair enough Alan!..Good comeback!
R

LOL Glad you like Rory

#90 _panthervs_

_panthervs_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

Hey guys

being a young fella i havnt heard much about the mythical super car scare... does anyone have any articles on it?? cheers

#91 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

Hey guys

being a young fella i havnt heard much about the mythical super car scare... does anyone have any articles on it?? cheers

Google it or read this:-

www.ravenentertainment.com.au/e55chargers.html

Go down to the bottom of the page. It's a Charger site, but seems to be well researched & written.

BTW, there was nothing mythical about it. It did happen, sadly.

Dr Terry

#92 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

R

they handled like crap, so i was told by the man who was testing them at Lang Lang.

#93 VitcLJ

VitcLJ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:45 PM

To me this has been an interesting read. I can see there is a big mix of opinion here.

But surely to be a "genuine" V8 LJ there should be ID tags on it that say so.

Lets face it there were various build ups some under the wing of GMH some by dealers and lots by others since.

If the cars built by HF at the time are "genuine" or those built by dealers are "genuine" what do the tags say for the motor code? Does a build up by a dealer some years later rate as "genuine"?

It gets back to the ID plates I would say, after all thats how we all gauge the XU1's from the mock ups. Or the SLR's and A9X, L34's from the rest for that matter.

I dont have a copy of the VIN CD do any V8 Lj's appear on it?

Fire extinguisher is ready for all the hot replies. :tease: :angry: :angry: :rockon:

#94 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

If that's the case...this thread is dead.
R

#95 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

I have been sent a heap of info my Alan, I need to sift through it all as he requested it not be posted direct on the site. I'll get back to you.

#96 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

To me this has been an interesting read. I can see there is a big mix of opinion here.

But surely to be a "genuine" V8 LJ there should be ID tags on it that say so.

Lets face it there were various build ups some under the wing of GMH some by dealers and lots by others since.

If the cars built by HF at the time are "genuine" or those built by dealers are "genuine" what do the tags say for the motor code? Does a build up by a dealer some years later rate as "genuine"?

It gets back to the ID plates I would say, after all thats how we all gauge the XU1's from the mock ups. Or the SLR's and A9X, L34's from the rest for that matter.

I dont have a copy of the VIN CD do any V8 Lj's appear on it?

Fire extinguisher is ready for all the hot replies. :tease: :angry: :angry: :rockon:

The early Adelaide Built LJ XU-1's,never had Engine codes on there Paint and Trim Plate,the Later Brisbane LJ XU-1 had XU1 on plate and a Axle number,but never had a Engine I.D Stamped on Plate.
So no Early Adelaide GMH Prototype or Adelaide Dealer Built V8 LJ XU-1 would have it on there I.D Plates,and the GMH Prototypes would be listed under the Adelaide Built LJ GTRs as a 6Cyl LJ GTR's if they were even put on the Vin CD.
Joe Felice Orange LJ GTR is a Adelaide Built GTR Car

Edited by xu2308, 17 February 2018 - 04:58 AM.

#97 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

they handled like crap, so i was told by the man who was testing them at Lang Lang.

Thats Why Harry put the Yellow LC HDT V8 XU-1 Shocks and coils into The GMH Strike Me Pink LJ V8 XU-1
So it handle better than the Standard GMH Coil and Shocks. So they would handle better when fitted with the Harry Firth Suspension set up,he Planned for the V8 XU-1.

#98 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

i guess you would know better than someone who was a test pilot for GMH in the 70's

#99 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

i guess you would know better than someone who was a test pilot for GMH in the 70's

I said after they Put Harry Firth Yellow LC V8 XU-1 HDT Shocks and Coils into the GMH STRIKE ME PINK Prototype,thats why they did it.DERRRRRRRRRRRRR
They took the Pink V8 LJ prototype to calder with the 6Cyl HDT Race Car for a speed test,and thats why harry yellow car suspension went into pink car,to make it handle better.
If you Read A.M.C Mag issue 9 V8 XU-1 Story,Harry did the Suspension to make the V8 LJ Prototypes Handle awesome,hence Pink car getting it

Edited by xu2308, 17 February 2018 - 05:00 AM.

#100 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

The Yellow LC HDT V8 XU-1 Had all the V8 XU-1 Suspension,to make it Handle.
The Joe felice Orange GMH LJ XU-1 was the Engineering Test Car to copy off Harry yellow HDT LC
and looks liks holden never Copied Harry Coils and Shocks,or Maybe Supercar Scare stopped it,for Holden getting to the Shocks and Coils on the Pink and White Car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users