Advice On Genuine Slr5000 Resto

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

G,day all,
New member here whos hoping to get some answers to a few questions. Firstly, a touch of background. Im finally embarking on a pretty intensive resto on my L31 LX SLR5000 ,that I have had packed away for 12 years. All numbers match, including block, original paint/interior. Im intending to bring it back to as close to original condition as possible, where needed. As the paint is pretty much cactus, and there are areas of rust, the body needs to be taken back to metal. This is where my first questions comes in.
The colour of this vehicle is Tuxedo Black (factory) with the silver "SLR5000" reverse lettering running along the bottom of the doors and along the rear spoiler. Is this an option (as opposed to the decal on the front gaurds with no lettering) available on the LX,s or is this a later (non factory) addition to the vehicle?
It also has a flare kit (fibreglass) which Im starting to suspect may not be original (it has a 1 piece front spoiler which I believe was only found on the SS(?) ). I believe that flare kits were available as a dealer option but im not sure about this one.
Also the lower silver colour does not continue over the flare and as Ive seen many examples with or without this feature, I am quite confused as to which way is genuine.
Also ,if I am to re-apply the painted lettering, where can I source an accurate stenciling kit? I understand they vary wildly and I would obviously like the most accurate.
I thank everybody in advance for their help and I apologize for my long winded opening post!
DrFegg

#2 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:29 PM

some pics would be nice

#3 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:46 PM

LX's had the lettering along the sills, LH's had the decal on the guard. Only L34's and A9X's had flares from factory. SL/R 5000's had front and rear spoilers.

:useless:

Tim

#4 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:17 AM

The reason the lower blackouts were deleted from L34s and A9Xs is because the blackout looked crap running over the bottom of the flare.

If your car has flares there are 3 options, delete the blackouts, remove the flares or paint the bottom of the flare.

If you want close to original remove the flares and apply the blackout, if the body has been cut for the flares you have a new problem.

James

Edited by JBM, 01 April 2008 - 05:18 AM.

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:23 AM

Most of it's been covered above. Congrats on what sounds like a nice combination.
As said, LH had decals on the gaurds, LX had the large paintouts. Those stencils can be bought from Rare Spares.
Flares are not original, the small one piece front spoiler you have on the car is most likely the original. LX SS and LX SLR5000 both had the small fornt spoiler. LH SLR5000, L34 and A9X had the larger 2 piece.
My personal suggestion would be as JBM said remove the falres and do it 100% original, or if you chose to keep the flares, just do the stencil on the rear spoiler , not down the sides, remove the current front spoiler and put a large 2 piece one on and paint the rest of the car black. It would look the same as an A9X then.

Something like this one

http://www.australia...cle_view/108606

#6 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:26 AM

Would look like this except you have flares and the correct front spoiler.

Posted Image

#7 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

^^^^^^Now thats nice!!!! :D

#8 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

Thanks everybody for your informative replies. I must admit , the confirmation that the flares were not even a dealer fit, is a tad disappointing. I very much like the look of the car with the flares/ big tyre combination. Im still in two minds about it, but am wavering towards the original non-flared body. Id like to ask your opinions on wether having the flares left on would de-value the vehicle. Not that im intent on selling, just that for the amount of time and money i will be spending upon it, I want to make sure that I dont end up regreting a bad decision. LX5008 Im going to try to post some photos ,as the car stood before dis-assembly. Shes in a pretty bad way, and thats why you can see, I have no option other than to start from scratch. It is going to need a lot of panel work, but as its going in for bead blasting in a couple of months, I will have pretty much a blank canvas to work from. There is also plenty of rust in the usual places (hinge, rr qtrs, lower rad support etc.)The interior ( chamois) is pretty good bar the torn front driver seat and the 2 front door trims which have had speaker holes cut in them (D@MMIT!!!!!) The console and seat backs will go out to a resto shop, the engine will get a pull down and freshen, and I,ll be piffing the 80,s dragway skogs for hopefully a set of hotwires. Other than that I will have to trade/buy a number of other bits and pieces. (I do have a few spare nice bits!) Anyways enjoy the photos and have some pity for those stuck under a car with only a dream to cruise in!
regards
Drfegg.

#9 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

Sorry guys I dont believe i have the permissions to upload photos, will try to contact a moddy or will try to post a link to a site......stay tuned...
Drfegg

#10 _ronaldoredsox_

_ronaldoredsox_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

No flares is worth more as it is more original, but, the difference is not vast. If you like the look of the flares, stick with em.

#11 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

heres a link to some pics.
http://s296.photobuc...s/mm180/Drfegg/
enjoy.
Drfegg

#12 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

That's a great starting point DrFegg, I hope it all goes well for you! :spoton:

#13 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

Your prob just trying to link the wrong photo, here's one I prepared earlier ....

Use the "IMG Code-Forums & bulletin Boards" link from your photobucket site. Posted Image

Also, if you resize your pics to down to the correct size, (Photobucket can do it for you) they fit into each post easier and you dont have to slide across to see the full piccie. Another I prepared earlier, hehe.
Posted Image

Your Quote

I must admit , the confirmation that the flares were not even a dealer fit, is a tad disappointing.

You may have misread something here. Flares on SL/R's were not Factory Fitted, BUT some dealers did fit them - So if you like 'em, definitely leave 'em on !!

Whether they devalue the car or not is a tricky subject ??
I would say no they dont as I like them with flares on. If I could afford the money and space I would like to have one of each in the shed. But there is no-way I am going to replace my flared one with a flareless one. I just much prefer them with the mechano set on.

As a general rule of thumb and I think most (IMHO) on here would agree, if its got flares now and you like them, leave them on. If you only want originality, take them off. End of the day it is your call and you gotta be happy with that decision.

You dont see too many with the flares and the writing under the doors. So have a good look around and see how the masking goes over the flares before you get yours done.

#14 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

mate very nice car, if the 1/4s have been modifed leave the falirs on. run the silver over the flairs and bingo very nice hot looking car.

if my slr had flairs on it when i got it they would still be on with very big wheels.

Edited by lx5008, 01 April 2008 - 08:50 PM.

#15 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

The reason the lower blackouts were deleted from L34s and A9Xs is because the blackout looked crap running over the bottom of the flare.

If your car has flares there are 3 options, delete the blackouts, remove the flares or paint the bottom of the flare.

If you want close to original remove the flares and apply the blackout, if the body has been cut for the flares you have a new problem.

James

What a load of bollocks.

#16 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:54 PM

Nice project to start with. You can confidently spend a few dollars on this one.

#17 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:03 PM

I personally like the flare look...would I buy a flared car over a std SLR5000...knowing it is still original?..everyday..thats just me.
I would delete the silver down the side and...less the bonnet scoop..make it look like REDA9Xs pics of the black A9X....similiar cars have sold for big $ on AMCS with the buyers knowing it is a genuine SLR5000 but looks like a L34/A9X.
My 2cs.
R

#18 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:31 AM

What a load of bollocks.

Could you be more specific.

James

#19 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:49 AM

I reckon Yella is refferring to your comment re the blackouts running over the flares...

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:53 AM

Well, the fact is, James is 100% correct. The reason it was deleted is because it does look like crap. Thats exactly what the GMH designers of the day said when they fitted flares on the first SLR5000 to mock up as an L34, and the first SLR5000 the mocked up as an A9X. That came straight from Mike Prowse.

#21 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:55 AM

Maybe you should ask Leo Pruneau why? I'm with him on this. No offence litre8.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

James

Edited by JBM, 02 April 2008 - 06:58 AM.

#22 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:01 AM

A side on view of this one to compare to Litre8 would be interesting to see. I dont mind the look of Litre8's blackouts ..

Posted Image

#23 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

Well, the fact is, James is 100% correct. The reason it was deleted is because it does look like crap. Thats exactly what the GMH designers of the day said when they fitted flares on the first SLR5000 to mock up as an L34, and the first SLR5000 the mocked up as an A9X. That came straight from Mike Prowse.

Well my powers of observation really do suck. I have never noticed the difference of the blackouts under the the LH 5000's and the L34's !!

#24 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:45 AM

The LH SL/R blackouts arent as high as the LX ones.

James

#25 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

Well my powers of observation really do suck. I have never noticed the difference of the blackouts under the the LH 5000's and the L34's !!

On an LH SLR5000 the black extends from the beaver panel, down along the sills. On an L34 only the beaver panel is black down to the bumper.

LX SLR5000
http://www.australia...cle_view/108126

A9X
http://www.australia...scle_view/89103

LH SLR5000
http://www.australia...cle_view/107622

L34
http://www.australia...scle_view/94915

LH SLR 5000 with flares
http://www.australia...cle_view/109464

LX SLR5000 with flares
http://www.australia...scle_view/89648