MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

As others have said. If you like the flares leave them on!

I love the flares! they look tough as nails! Your car is gonna be loved either way!

#27 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

At the end of the day, being a factory black car it will probably be more desirable than most other colour choices, regardless of whether it is flared or not.

Great starting platform!

#28 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:50 AM

nothing wrong with this look.
Posted Image

#29 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

hey DrFegg sounds like a decent project all the best with it.
There is a guy in the Sutherland Shire NSW (my local area) with a Tuxedo black SLR 5000 w/ Chamois interior, very original looking car. I reckon go with the flares and some wide rubber (please no hotwires way too 80's lol) - black cars are meant to look tough not under done.

#30 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

Im siding with the people who are all for going with what I like personally , not to mention what the wife wants too, shes also got one hand on the wallet and she wants the flares!!!! What the boss wants.....
I like the look of the all black A9X clone, but im more for keeping as much of the original look as possible, that includes the stenciled lettering. I will probably think a bit more about wether Ill continue the blackout over the doors or not..
Its interesting (and frightening) what im finding on this car. As I mentioned,I have just started pulling this car down , and this is the literally the first time Ive had a look at the car since storing it away in a shed for 12 years , sh!t its bad in areas.
I even discovered some backyard panel beating under the rear guards, which may have a significant influence on keeping the flares too.
Anyways Ive found this forum an absolute wealth of knowledge and I thank you all again for your input and opinions.
Drfegg

#31 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

I just prefer the way the black sills ground the car (make it look like it's sitting lower), but that's just my personal preference, not slavishly following what anybody necessarily thinks. Not sure what silver does, probably the same as no blackout sills on the L34, they just look like they sit high to me, but then again, I've never been a fan of black cars, but again, that's just me.

Posted Image

After all it is only the rear of both front and rear flares you have to worry about, as the front of the rear flare sits above the sill.

With the LX, I've also seen them done the way yours is, i.e. the flares either painted the sill colour, or body colour. On the black car, black flares look OK. Your preference at the end of the day.

#32 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

SO, Beaver panel is the rear of the car where the tail lights are ??????

#33 _ck1971_

_ck1971_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:09 AM

If you are concerned with the value of the car and getting the best price if you ever want to sell it get rid of the flares, the cars that bring the big dollars are pretty much stock, there is no way a modded car will be worth anywhere near what a standard one will. On the other hand if you are never going to sell it doesn't matter what you do.

ck1971.

#34 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:15 AM

SO, Beaver panel is the rear of the car where the tail lights are ??????

yep.

#35 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:28 AM

Fanx RED.

#36 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:52 AM

Just my opinion, but if you chose to keep the flares and the pain outs down the side, I would do as Litre 8 has and paint them over the flares. A set of V5 Simmons with silver centres would look good on it rather than the Dragways.

#37 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

If you are concerned with the value of the car and getting the best price if you ever want to sell it get rid of the flares, the cars that bring the big dollars are pretty much stock, there is no way a modded car will be worth anywhere near what a standard one will. On the other hand if you are never going to sell it doesn't matter what you do.

ck1971.

Another wives tale. Depends on how well you do it. I've been offered more than people have sold their immaculate faithfully restored factory cars for. Mine's just not for sale.

Heavily modified race cars sell for even more, especially if they don't have cigarette advertising.

I don't think your generalisation applies, really does depend on the car, and what people are willing to pay.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 03 April 2008 - 07:14 AM.

#38 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:42 AM

If the wifey wants the flares! Keep em'! She must have good taste! LOL

Good to see your getting stuck into it after 12 years! Everything will be worth it once your finished and back on the road!! Cant wait to see it all finished with some big Phatties on the back! and a thumping V8 under the hood...

#39 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:10 AM

ck1971.

Another wives tale. Depends on how well you do it. I've been offered more than people have sold their immaculate faithfully restored factory cars for. Mine's just not for sale.

Heavily modified race cars sell for even more, especially if they don't have cigarette advertising.

I don't think your generalisation applies, really does depend on the car, and what people are willing to pay.

Different people have different opinions and they like different things. The orginal cars do tend to be more sought after these days, the fact is, I haven't seen too many, actually any "faithfully" restored SLR5000's come up for sale, I've seen a lot without flares, but none that are 100% or as close to as possible. Find a good one of those it will sell quicker than one with flares in my opinion.

#40 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

^^ It just seems the better examples (Condition wise) are the ones with flares... maybe they have been looked after a bit better (Been desirable for longer?) compared to the flareless ones...

Maybe also the next best thing down from an SLR 5000 A9X, is a SLR5000 with flares that looks like an A9X... (Or L34 etc)

#41 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:45 AM

I think in some cases the ones with falres were cars people took an interest in, so were looked after. I mean if you went to the trouble to fit flares, on a new car, you may have had an interest in cars while those not fitted with flares were more than likely just driven. Unfortunately in the 80's, most were trashed regardless

#42 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

I think the market is turning a point where flares are just considered a period modification. I believe that the market still sways away from heavily modified cars in terms of reaching top market value. I agree you should do what pleases you with your car. I also think the more desirable arguement is academic as it only takes one person to buy a car and in most cases in todays market there is ususally more than one interested party.

#43 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:55 AM

Do what YOU want!

Unfortunately I often see a buyer consider a modification as an excuse to haggle for a cheaper price.

Often they like the mod anyway and may have desired to do it later themselves but why let that get in the way of a cheaper price.

Nice colour (shade)

What state (or territory of Australia) are you in? I remember a car like yours from my days in Whyalla.

Cheers

Edited by The Baron, 03 April 2008 - 11:03 AM.

#44 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

I'm with you Yella,(IMO) at the end of the day the car is only worth what someone is prepared to or willing to pay for it genuine or enhanced.

Mort

#45 _prrojo_

_prrojo_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

Hard call on the flares, if I were doing a full resto. ,(bare shell,abrasive blast etc.), I would lean toward original as poss.Allthough flares with wheels fitted up properly look best.Even though the market now is 50/50, in 3 or 5 or 10 years time i think orig. may be better,but more work to rectify now.A 3rd option is to fitt up wheels properly to the original arches.With the right off-set 3 piece wheels ,(as stated earler simmons v5 look period), you can fit quite large wheel / tyre combo.(fr & rr) You would need to roll the lips to fitt tyers up close (this could be rectified latter at sale time).Also have a set of restored orig. wheels to sell with the car. 4 doors more so than hatches look good like this,(my opinion only of course). Sounds like a well thought-out build/resto.,good luck.

#46 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:29 PM

Pre 1970, I'd agree that original was best, but even from trying to write the Historic Rego requirements for these cars you realise that they are different, particularly the LH/LX which saw the start of mainstream car modification.

From my work on it, the LH/LX is the start of a new historic category. I often think what the historic models from our current times will be? Ricers with 20" bling wheels? The mind boggles.

Don't know who you were asking Baron, but my car has been a Canberra car all it's life.

#47 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

The Baron is talking about the car the thread is about, not your car. You should have clicked when he said nice shade/colour (black) just like his hatch...

#48 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

Baron, the car is in victoria. No idea about the first owner, the second owner lived in the Dandenong ranges (upway) outside of melbourne (hence the lots of surface rust) ,and for the last 12 years its lived in a shed in the western suburbs of melbourne.
Drfegg

#49 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

I like Yellow too.

#50 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

They're all good things.

Look forward to my Friday night cruises, good way to finish off the week and wind down a bit. ----> Therapy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users