What the Shit are you talking about chris? LOL

#78 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

youve got savings, we are selling up the muffler shop! better spend some of that money and buy the parts now! I'll even fit them when you come up for the house warming :P

#79 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

HAHAHA!

The Torana would get the $1000 in front of the ute! LOL. We will probably fly up for the house warming... The Ute is clocking up too many K's! LOL. Did Toranafest and Xmas...

#80 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

dadem0n, is that inlet manifold made of metal or is it just the factory item which has been sanded back and smoothed out, then painted? Looks really good but I'm curious about getting the paint to stick properly.

#81 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

I got the exhaust and Mafless tune done on my VZ Cross 8 over the last month or so. Extractors available on the day wouldn't fit and the only ones available were Pacemakers that weren't HPC coated so we left the standard manifolds and fitted new 2.25" engine pipes, new high flow cats, 2.5" back to the join into a single 3.5" system. The rest is stock including airbox etc, but remember VZ already has high flow Maf and bigger air intake.
Peak power went from about 147 awkW to about 180 awkW, but torque curve is now nice and flat. Remember there is about a 20% or so loss in the awd drivetrain compared to rwd so these would be about 185rwkw/225rwkW as a comparasin. Exhaust was about $1700. Tune (in car, not mail order) was $500.
Here is the dyno curves before and after:

http://www.monaropar...al1_for_web.jpg

#82 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:25 AM

Would be awesome fun to drive 180awKw on a dirt road!! LOL

So do you have a Mafless tune, with the Maf still in place?

Have you thought about getting a GTS Mafless pipe and bypassing the Maf? If its not tuned for it, its just blocking airflow..

#83 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi matt
I like your ute lowered, what sort of fuel economy do you get out of your ute. My mates 5.7 VU seems to get 15-17l per 100k round town and about 12l per 100 on a trip away (6 speed) which seems high compared to my VR 5l (5 speed) 12.5 around town 8.5 on a trip away. both driven around normaly
I want to buy a VY,VZ,VE ute soon (with or without wifes permission) and just curious, anythings to look out for?
Chears Neil.

#84 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

Would be awesome fun to drive 180awKw on a dirt road!! LOL

So do you have a Mafless tune, with the Maf still in place?

Have you thought about getting a GTS Mafless pipe and bypassing the Maf? If its not tuned for it, its just blocking airflow..

There is not a great gain to be had in a VZ as they already have a high flow Maf plus the air intake temperature sensor is in the Maf on a VZ. The best bet would be an OTR intake, but I want to keep it as stock as possible. It'll only improve peak kW anyway, and that is of no use to me. It's torque improvement I want for towing, plus fuel economy improvements. That big dip on the top of the power curve on the standard dyno run was all due to exhaust. When we tried to stick an O2 sensor up the tailpipe it blew it out there was that much pressure developed in the tiny standard tailpipe. If I do make any more mods it'll be a baby Comp cams cam and new valve springs plus maybe some HPC coated Pacemaker Tri-Y's, but probably will never happen as i've achieved my two goals: bucketloads more torque and about 2-3L/100kM improvement highway, marginal around town. These are big heavy barges weighing 2tonnes, combined with the AWD and 3.45:1 diff gears so they are heavy around town on fuel, maybe averaging 16-17L/100kM. Highway on cruise at 110-115kM/h averages about 11L/100kM. Lower speed cruising (say 90-100) it will sit around 9.5-10.5 depending upon terrain. Highway used to be around 13-14L/100kM, but the improvement there will be mainly tune. Make a good tow car though as they can legally tow 2.5 tonnes and it has rear leaf springs, plus the 4L65E auto is a lot stronger than the 4L60/4L60E. Tows like an old HQ-WB tonner with a 350 but better. I used to have a VY SS 6sp ute, but it wasn't a great tow car - 1600kg max and too much movement in the independant rear end. I only wish Holden had built a Cross8 1-tonner, not just the V6 POS.

#85 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hi matt
I like your ute lowered, what sort of fuel economy do you get out of your ute. My mates 5.7 VU seems to get 15-17l per 100k round town and about 12l per 100 on a trip away (6 speed) which seems high compared to my VR 5l (5 speed) 12.5 around town 8.5 on a trip away. both driven around normaly
I want to buy a VY,VZ,VE ute soon (with or without wifes permission) and just curious, anythings to look out for?
Chears Neil.

Hey Mate!

That pic of the lowered ute, isnt actually mine. Its the guy who i bought the springs off. But thats how it will sit, as its exactly the same as my car!

I get very good fuel economy now since the tune. I get about 500ks off the tank (Works out at about 12l/100kms) around town to work everyday. And on my last trip to Sydney over Xmas, i managed 8L/100kms (720ks off the tank!)

This is running Premium petrol which really helps the economy.

There isnt much really to look out for with the VY-Z-E's... Most of the LS1 issues had been sorted out by the end of the VT or by Series 2 VX (VU too). Best advice is to try and look at as many as possible. You will start to learn what the good ones are and how they drive. I seemed to have got a good one. When looking I wanted to steer clear of a High Km car... But ended up buying one with the most K's. It had been well looked after and was by far the best and most comfortable one i have driven.

My engine tuner reckons i got lucky and got one of the good motors! Because he is just amazed by the amount of power my ute has with Just a Cat-back exhaust, OTR and a Tune! Im taking it to a dyno day next month, So i'll get to see how much power it actually has at the wheels!

#86 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

Hi matt
My mates vu just might need a tune as i thought fuel econ was not flash. Im on the lookout for a new ute in next 12 months so i thought id find out what there like.
Thanks Neil

#87 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

When i first got mine, my economy was similar to your mates. 15l/100kms around town... Its great.. Since the tune i got more power and better economy! LOL!

#88 _dadem0n_

_dadem0n_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

dadem0n, is that inlet manifold made of metal or is it just the factory item which has been sanded back and smoothed out, then painted? Looks really good but I'm curious about getting the paint to stick properly.

Its just a stock VZ manifold.
I hit it with the dremel and some sandpaper first. Then just an aerosol can of plastic adhesive, primer, then regular touch up paint and a couple of coats of clear gloss.
Has had no problems with sticking, staying or discolouring :spoton:

Ive got some chrome fuel rails here which should set it off nicely :)

Edited by dadem0n, 20 January 2009 - 03:29 PM.

#89 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now it "looks" legal...

#90 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:00 AM

stickers......

RICER! :P

#91 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for that, dadem0n.

Matt, now you have some more work to do after you pick up my half cut lol.

#92 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

Need to fix my stupid fuucking fan first! Got no A/C! I havent forgot about the half cut mate... But need to fix the AC first... sorry for stuffing you around

#93 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

Well, Fan fixed! Thank god! Much nicer now to drive.

Ok, fitted up the rear springs this morning... Waiting to borrow Maddy's spring compressors to do the front, might manage to do that over the weekend if i can find the effort! LOL

BEFORE:

Posted Image

AFTER:

Posted Image

Should be good to do the front, then i need to organise a wheel alignment as well... Worried about the rear tyre angle... Heard a few people have issues with lowered Utes and un-even tyre wear...

#94 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

Well,

I am hopefully off racing this weekend! Can't wait!!! Aiming for a sub 13.5 pass to start with... Going to try baby off the line so i dont break anything... So my 60ft's will be pretty crap.... But towards the end of the day, i might just go hard for one or two passes! LOL

Anyone want to guess what times i might pull?

It will be interesting to see my MPH to see how fast i might be able to go if i learn to drive! HAHA!

Closest Guess, will get a pat on the back! LOL

Oh, and looking at my last post.... LOL I have since lowered the front

Posted Image

Also got a new cover for the back! Looks heaps better! Havent done anything else though... Its a daily! LOL

It did tick over 200,000k's though!

Posted Image

Edited by MRLXSS, 19 August 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#95 _OtG_

_OtG_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

Go hard Matt!

Going by my old VU SS with similar mods (cat back, OTR, no tune though) I reckon you should run a mid-low 13 pretty easy, at maybe 105-108 mph depending on track. I think I ran a mid 13 in mine and our track down here always seems to see slower times than mainland ones.

Once you get a bit of practice and work out how to launch her properly and get it set up right, into the 12s no worries.

#96 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

That sounds promising then!!

Heathcote isnt the best track for good E/T's though... I heard WSID or Calder is a good .2 seconds faster...

But a Low 13 will be ace! My tuner is also heading up, and he said he will tweek the tune for the drags later in the day if needed. He is trying to crack a 10!

#97 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

RoDoMo Towing: 13TORANA

#98 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

LOL - I just tried calling that number, and it said this number could not be connected!!! LOL

Is it a weekend only service?

#99 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

At the rates I charge, you can call anytime! :D

#100 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

Much better Matt, amazing the difference a nice lowered set of springs make.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users