lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Name:paul
  • Car:LC 2 door, HR prem wagon

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:36 PM

Jeff, feel free to drop in anytime to pick vinyl up, just give me a bell to make sure I'm home, let me know if you need my mobile as I have yours saved. I don't suppose you still have the trolley frame you made up to paint car do you, and are willing to sell it? if you get a chance, have a look at the last few posts on my forum as JDLJ gave me some basic settings when setting webers up which may be off some help. Hope to get shell set up on rotisserie in next few days, thanks paul.  

#304 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:LC 2dr

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

Pretty sure its Linamint Paul

Thats what i thought but wasnt 100%

Pinky may have to go green ;)

Yes, it is Linamint - and no, I wouldn't paint Pinky green! :huh:

Jeff, feel free to drop in anytime to pick vinyl up, just give me a bell to make sure I'm home, let me know if you need my mobile as I have yours saved. I don't suppose you still have the trolley frame you made up to paint car do you, and are willing to sell it? if you get a chance, have a look at the last few posts on my forum as JDLJ gave me some basic settings when setting webers up which may be off some help. Hope to get shell set up on rotisserie in next few days, thanks paul.  

OK, cool - will do.  Not sure if I'll make it this weekend as I have a few things on, but I'll ring you before I turn up.  Yes, I still have the trolley - more than happy for you to have it.  I'd recommend getting two fixed wheels for it though as four rotating ones make it a challenge to manoeuvre by yourself.

I also got the car back from the tuner on Saturday and it's like night & day in how it drives.  It now starts easy, pulls smoothly from low rpm and doesn't surge at freeway speeds.  Besides cleaning out all the crap from the carbs, the biggest improvement came from changing to 36mm chokes (from 38) which got rid of the soft spot around 2200 - 2800 and improved the top end.  The cam isn't big enough to warrant 38mm chokes it seems.... I also now have a list of things to do as the fuel pump is not up to scratch (pressure dropped to 0.9psi at high RPM), change to the HEI dizzy out of a blue/black engine and fit the HM9C extractors & a new exhaust which should yield a few more HP.

Cheers,

Jeff

#305 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

Whilst the passenger door refuses to close unless the pinch weld is removed from the seam...

20160605_183757.jpg

Kind of running out of ideas on how to get these things to work...  Anybody have any ideas?

I spent some more time on the LH door trim fitment today and eventually got it to stay under to stainless trim and get the door to close.....
I finished up having to move the door catch out a few mm so the door could be closed without pushing it out the drivers side of the car.  Unfortunately the door no longer closes flush with the rear qtr, but there's not much else I can do at this point..

20160607_173615.jpg

You could try a block of wood and a hammer to carefully dress the door opening flange inwards enough to make a bit more clearance where required for the door trim.

#306 lctriples

lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

Jeff, you are a gentleman and a scholar, let me know when you want to drop in to grab vinyl, and I will touch base re: webers. I am running a blue/black commodore fuel pump and had heaps of fuel pressure, my mate who has triples used the same fuel pump with no problems or needed an additional electric fuel pump. Once again you are more than welcome to try mine if you like as motor is now sitting on engine stand, and it was the old shitty one that came with donor motor. Ironically damo had brought a brand new one when dicking around with HR motor but we couldn't get that one to work, down the track I will fit the new one! go figure?  

#307 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

I'm going to have a guess and say that using the smaller chokes you gained about 20-30hp and 18 pounds of torque,I'm I close? What fuel pump are you currently using and what has been recommended as a replacement?

#308 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

You could try a block of wood and a hammer to carefully dress the door opening flange inwards enough to make a bit more clearance where required for the door trim.

Thanks Dave, that's pretty much what I've done.  I used a piece of pipe wrapped in 3mm rubber sheet and 'adjusted' the curved section of the seam.  It worked well on the passenger side, but the driver's side still requires a good slam to shut it.  Strange thing is the door shuts fine with the window half way down.  I guess cabin pressure is playing a part in the problem... I will probably end up putting screws front and rear to hold the metal top firmly against the door as I've seen on some cars.

Jeff, you are a gentleman and a scholar, let me know when you want to drop in to grab vinyl, and I will touch base re: webers. I am running a blue/black commodore fuel pump and had heaps of fuel pressure, my mate who has triples used the same fuel pump with no problems or needed an additional electric fuel pump. Once again you are more than welcome to try mine if you like as motor is now sitting on engine stand, and it was the old shitty one that came with donor motor. Ironically damo had brought a brand new one when dicking around with HR motor but we couldn't get that one to work, down the track I will fit the new one! go figure?  

Thanks Paul.  I only used the mechanical pump to save time / hassle when getting to roadworthy and plan to put an electric one back on soon.

I'm going to have a guess and say that using the smaller chokes you gained about 20-30hp and 18 pounds of torque,I'm I close? What fuel pump are you currently using and what has been recommended as a replacement?

Yes, you're pretty close - 18 hp & 12 ft-lbs.  The current pump is a Goss glass bowl unit and the tuner recommended a Carter 7-9 psi electric and some huge GPH number along with a larger tank pickup and line to the front - not sure if that's overkill or not?  The electric pump that I had on the car previously is a Carter 4psi / 15 gph unit which seemed to do the job OK.

#309 lctriples

lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:49 PM

Jeff, hows the green machine going? I started a thread about weld-through primer recently and noticed you used some on your build. What brand did you use and how did you get it to work? Thanks paul 

#310 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

Hey Paul,  it's going well although I haven't had much time to spend on it of late so no progress on a few outstanding issues.

The primer that I used was U-Pols Weld #2 and it worked well.  The only thing I found when plug welding was that I got a better result by scratching off some of the primer from the inner piece of steel so the weld would start in the centre of the hole - then doing a circle to fill out to the edge of the hole.  Otherwise the weld would start on the outer edge of the hole and result in poor penetration.

I probably still have some in a can if you want to give it a try - give me a call if you wish.

Cheers,

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users