dattoman's brake upgrade kit

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

dattoman was mentioning a kit he was making for LH - UC Torries. It would be using a pair of DBA 019 front discs and either Brembo or AP calipers. Cost was inferred to be close to $1500. That may be fine for the front, but do the rears need upgrading too? Would stock VB - VL rear discs and calipers be a suitable match, or would it be better to upgrade to DBA 020 and use a VB - VK front caliper on the rear? Or do you have something else in mind?

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 18 November 2005 - 09:12 PM

Ah Chopper dobbing me in already I see
Sadly an AP racing caliper setup would cost alittle more than $1500 since the calipers are worth almost that on their own ($730 each)
However yes I am working on something for this in the near future.
HopperStoppers do a 2 piston PBR kit in 330mm for around the $1700 mark using the 019 disc.

You can use the DBA020 on the back with the normal commodore backing plates to get yourself a vented disc. The proper HSV caliper is now available too (sold some to 355LX- formerly Brock05) recently to go onto his
Direct bolt on ( just need to sort his hoses out)
Only thing with the 020 is thats its still the same 280mm size as the standard solid rotor so theres not a great deal of improvement (though the caliper piston is larger so there is more clamp force).
I'd like to say I have a 315mm rear kit with nicer caliper coming but I don't see how I'm going to make it work with the 160mm handbrake restriction.
HopperStoppers do a "weld on" rear kit using a handbrake style Camaro caliper on either the 280 or 315mm disc. Since the handbrake is in the caliper not the mounting bell the later VT on disc can be used successfully. If it wasn't for that handbrake design I'd have a nice 4 pot AP kit to compliment the front (same rear brakes as Brute Ute).

Once I figure something out on my own car (and Tinks car) I'll let you know

#3 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:00 AM

Neil: I saw the weld on kit at the summernats when you introduced me to peter.....

What are y our thoughs of that kit for the HQ? would it be worth my while to have that setup organised onto a new 9" diff housing ( which i may eventually need anyway). Does that setup fit under 15" wheels and would there be much of a gain in stopping power over the drums?

Bear in mind what i do with the car.. there is unlikely to be repeated heavy stops like in circuit racing. I was just wondering if the drums may be letting the side down when it comes to overall braking of the car.

Curious again! Cheers!

#4 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:47 PM

I think it looked OK mate
The 280mm would fit under 15's but the 315mm won't
I'll let you know if you need them after you let mer have a drive

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:55 PM

#1Sadly an AP racing caliper setup would cost alittle more than $1500 since the calipers are worth almost that on their own ($730 each)

#2 Hopper Stoppers do a 2 piston PBR kit in 330mm for around the $1700 mark using the 019 disc.

#3 You can use the DBA020 on the back with the normal commodore backing plates to get yourself a vented disc. The proper HSV caliper is now available too. Direct bolt on, just need to sort hoses out.

#1 That's the important info I wanted. I asume these calipers are avalable easily in Melbourne? It's just that if I have any dramas, it's easier to go to the local supplier than to ship them back to you in Perth.

#2 So what caliper is that? I bet it wouldn't pull up as well as the AP calipers, though.

#3 The HSV caliper previously could only be bought new if you provided the VIN of your VN Group A SS. Around how much do these calipers sell for new? And yes, I prefer the idea of 4 vented discs. Just my personal prefference.

#6 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:14 AM

I think it looked OK mate
The 280mm would fit under 15's but the 315mm won't
I'll let you know if you need them after you let mer have a drive

When are ya coming over for a run then mate??

:D

#7 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:04 PM

#1Sadly an AP racing caliper setup would cost alittle more than $1500 since the calipers are worth almost that on their own ($730 each)

#2 Hopper Stoppers do a 2 piston PBR kit in 330mm for around the $1700 mark using the 019 disc.

#3 You can use the DBA020 on the back with the normal commodore backing plates to get yourself a vented disc. The proper HSV caliper is now available too. Direct bolt on, just need to sort hoses out.

#1 That's the important info I wanted. I asume these calipers are avalable easily in Melbourne? It's just that if I have any dramas, it's easier to go to the local supplier than to ship them back to you in Perth.

#2 So what caliper is that? I bet it wouldn't pull up as well as the AP calipers, though.

#3 The HSV caliper previously could only be bought new if you provided the VIN of your VN Group A SS. Around how much do these calipers sell for new? And yes, I prefer the idea of 4 vented discs. Just my personal prefference.

1. AP 4 pot calipers are avail in Melbourne
I can put you onto someone when your ready
2. AU2 ford 2 pots. OK for most applications unless your a heavy track user. AP's are better of course
3. Your right. But I have them available now as I buy them from PBR not HSV. $250 each in a nice pretty red colour.

#8 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:27 PM

Hi guy's i just read all this, very interesting.

I am in the middle of working out a brake system to put on an LX 4D race car, we are thinking of useing 15 inch rims all round do you have any sugestions? i'm not to worried about cost.

Cheers Steve

#9 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:39 PM

Front: VT size disc ( DBA 040 ) with VT-LH hub adapter and what ever AP caliper dattoman can adapt.
Rear: VN HSV ( DBA 020 ) with VN HSV caliper. AP's would be better, but may be overkill as most of the braking is done by the fronts.

You could easily spend thousands more, but it may not be much better.

#10 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:04 PM

Thanks Chopper, do CRS make the VT-LH stub adaptor's?

Also what rim and tyre size do you recommend with and with out flares, the LX has got the RTS cross member under it.

#11 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:28 PM

Front: VT size disc ( DBA 040 ) with VT-LH hub adapter and what ever AP caliper dattoman can adapt.
Rear: VN HSV ( DBA 020 ) with VN HSV caliper. AP's would be better, but may be overkill as most of the braking is done by the fronts.

You could easily spend thousands more, but it may not be much better.

Just about spot on the money here

I have a pair of Hubs in HQ pattern with long 1/2" studs sitting in the shed now waiting to go onto Tinkers' car. I will be using the DBA040 which I have undrilled and will drill it to the correct pattern
Then the task is to use the AP 4 pot caliper (CP5200) and make it all fit onto the original Torana stub.
I'm cautiously optomistic I can do it but haven't done any measurements yet.
We'll be using a 15" wheel on this car too.

We're using XC disc rear as thats how the 9" is already setup.

CRS should be able to sell you the hubs. Brad's old man runs Race Brakes Vic so if he doesn't have them there he can certainly get them. Remember to tell them what stud pattern you want.

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:35 PM

You can use the DBA020 on the back with the normal commodore backing plates to get yourself a vented disc. The proper HSV caliper is now available too, just need to sort the hoses out.
Only thing with the 020 is thats its still the same 280mm size as the standard solid rotor so theres not a great deal of improvement (though the caliper piston is larger so there is more clamp force).

If you use that setup on a VL Commodore BW diff, should the stock rear flexible hoses bolt up, or are other hoses needed?

#13 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:24 PM

The inlet point for the hose is in a different spot to the solid disc caliper
When Dave and I get around to doing the backend of his car I'll be able to tell you exactly what hose is required. My guess is it will need to be a tad longer.

I found out also (since I sold a kit to a forum member) that the CRS lowered stubs if mounted with the caliper forward have a clearance issue on the tireod end.This is for AP 4 pot caliper and 330mm disc on 2" drops
I will have to keep this in mind when I make my brackets for the Torana spindles possibly. Won't know till I try I guess.

#14 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

By rights, the stock flexible rear hose for the VN HSV should be fine, IF they are still available OR a valid part number still exists. I will assume you've already looked at that option.

#15 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

Yes but the NS HSV runs metric hose fittings instead of imperial like a torana (cept late UC)
The HSV hose isn't yet avail thru PBR as they aren't yet marketting the caliper to the masses so no hose listed yet
They do do the VR-VS one with the ball flare tyre fitting though.

#16 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:33 PM

I think I need to re-word the question.

When using the DBA 020 disc with the VN HSV caliper on a VL BW diff THAT IS STILL UNDER THE ARSE OF A VL COMMODORE, is there an off the shelf hose that will bolt up perfectly?

#17 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:49 PM

Short answer no

But I can make a hose in any configuration you'd like once I know the required fittings and length.

#18 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:45 AM

Ok guys we have desided to go for the DBA 014U disks get them drilled to torana stud pattern, now i know i have to get the HQ spindles from the wreckers and some callipers, what else do i need?

We are going to do it this way, see how they perform then if they are not good enough i will use this set up on my own Torana then go for the bigger brakes on the race car.

#19 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:28 PM

Today I picked up my pair of DBA 019's. How are the adapters going Neil?

#20 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 02:13 PM

For AP calipers ?.
Well my engineer mate in Sydney has the drawing but is probably on holidays now till 9th January
And they are based on the CRS spindles with Comdoore caliper mount pattern
As for adapters to fit torana spindle I haven't had a look at it yet. I have the last 2 weeks of January off where I plan to strip my car down for panel/paint/rust so I will have the crossmember out and will hopefully have a bit of a play then with the torana spindles.

#21 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2005 - 05:47 PM

If worse comes to worse, I'll get a pair of AU2 ford 2 pots and adapters from Hoppers. They're not a cheap disc those DBA 019's, are they?

#22 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:26 PM

bout $300 a piece retail

Sadly Peter probably won't sell you adaptors
He's in the business of selling complete kits and won't sell components generally
Calipers he will sell you ......... brackets he won't

#23 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2005 - 08:32 PM

I can get the calipers new at my local Repco or Bursons. Anyway, now that I have the discs, I'm commited to some sort of large brake upgrade. Plenty of different cats I can still skin to finish this job.

#24 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:13 PM

Any news Neil?

#25 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

I theoretically start pulling my hatch apart next week
Playing with the engine first though
Popped a head off the chev and found more than I expected (corrosion etc)
So not rushing into the brakes just yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users