407 replies to this topic

#26 LX 0076

LX 0076

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:15 AM

Wow excellent planing and exacution. This is the kind of build that keeps us all inspired. Top stuff :clap:
Jayson.

#27 _ayios_

_ayios_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

Great to see!
Keep up the good work and post pics!!

#28 _ayios_

_ayios_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

Great to see!
Keep up the good work and post pics!!

#29 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for all the comments guy's, She's slowly coming together bit by bit.

Have trial fitted the rear wheels and they are near enough to perfect so tyres will go on the rims on monday, Had a slight moment though when i realised the valve in the rim sat directly in line with the rotor, I quickly bolted up the caliper and was very relieved when I put the wheel back on and the valve cleared the caliper easily :spoton:

I've also trimmed the rails in the rear guards to give and extra inch or so clearance on the inside of the guard and made a start on the left hand lower 1/4 panel which was rusted out, as well as the rear beaver panel which will both be replaced with rust repair panels.

All my suspension bit's n pieces are also on their way, 4 x koni adjustables, 4 x custom king springs and a whiteline swaybar for the rear, so as soon as it's off the rotissery i'll be able to see how she's gonna sit and mount the rear flares.

Thats about all for now

#30 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

Picked a few front end bits and pieces up the other day which have been sandblasted and powdercoated, they came up really good. The whole front crossmember will go up shortly to be done aswell.

Heres a couple of pics of the Upper control arm's, they're UC arms if your wondering why the balljoints are offset. I put 1 arm together today but the cold weather and rain isn't real motivating after finishing 5 nighshifts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

Great Build mate, should look fantastic when she's finished!!

#32 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

Hope so pete, im getting excited after seeing all these other projects on the go and looking very sweet.

We ordered the motor today so it should be here within the next couple of weeks, I can't wait to get it in and running. When the car goes off for paint the motor will go away to get a new cam and a bit of a tweak.

Have been doing a few repairs on the body over the last few days, The rear beaver and lower left hand 1/4 were pretty full of rust and when the beaver panel was removed it was worse than it looked. The inner panels and the chassis rail that the bumper bolts to were in pretty poor condition so they have all been replaced.

Hopefully only a couple more weeks on the rotissery doing the welding ect and it'll be back on its wheels to start mocking everything up and getting the motor running. Still have to fit the rear flares so will be going over a few posts from others to point me in the right direction.

Pics to come soon

#33 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

Ball joints are off set to give more neg? caster for betta steering (RTS)
Love your progress, can't wait to get back to mine.

#34 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:17 PM

love this the paint on what you are thinking makes me goooo cant wait to talk (pm) me I will send you my phone and personal photos of my build

#35 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

HAHA :spoton: Yeah the purple and black is growing on me, my better half wanted the purple and black and wouldn't change as much as i tried to convince her that a nice bright orange or yellow would be nice.

Edited by mrlctorana, 07 October 2008 - 03:17 PM.

#36 _P51_

_P51_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:43 AM

Great work... :clap: looking forward to the finished product......

#37 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

will be a nice car mate. are you really going to use 4.5 gears in the diff? I imaging you will have traction problems until 3rd or 4th if you go with the 4.5's
torry's are a lot lighter than commodores and your 17's will be a smaller diameter than the 6L commodore ones.

#38 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

Thanks guys,

Yeah we've got the 4.5's in the back of it now as we will be doing a lot of highway driving with it. Everything was worked out pretty carefully so in 6th gear with all our current gear ratios and tire size we will be doing around 2000rpm at 110kph, which is pretty nice and will give it a lot of extra punch down low. We don't plan on doing 300kph in it anyway, but if it's not real good i'll sort out another center with a bit taller legs.

Heres a few more pics, Going to start fitting the rear flares this week sometime.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

Get those rear tyres up in the flares and it will look hot as.

#40 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

LS1LX - Yeah thats the plan, will see how it sits when it's all together, if it's not low enough i'll get the springs reset to suit.

The new donk turned up today, can't wait to get it in and hear it running :D

Posted Image

#41 _luke186_

_luke186_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:45 PM

this project just keeps looking sweeter and sweeter!

Love your work mate!

#42 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

Man those motors look sexy!!!

#43 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

Bit of an update, Rear guards have been cut and the flares bolted on after a few drama's :cry:

The rear tyres are a bit too big for the flares, not allowing them to line up with the door gap without hitting the tyre, so with some help from a mate the flares were cut, slighly re-shaped to get the extra clearance and then fiberglassed back up.

After a bit of mucking around I finally got them to line up with each other and get a good gap that I was happy with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

Looking good :spoton:

A set of good fitting flairs seems to be hard to find. Most of them tend to curve in too much at the bottom towards the wheel/tyres.
It would have been great if you had pics on how you reshaped them to follow the contours of the cars guards.

#45 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

Posted Image
what a nice rear and its not even done yet...

those tyres.... yum!

Edited by UNVSM8, 05 November 2008 - 11:40 AM.

#46 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:35 PM

A set of good fitting flairs seems to be hard to find. Most of them tend to curve in too much at the bottom towards the wheel/tyres.
It would have been great if you had pics on how you reshaped them to follow the contours of the cars guards.

Yeah no worries Hatchman, i'll get a few pics of them for ya soon. All we done was cut around the curve of the flair folded it in till we got enough clearance, fiberglassed it together on the inside, sanded it down till we got the corresct lines and then used a thin layer of filler to smooth it out.

#47 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

Looking good. A lot of great work being done there!
What rims/specs are those rims & is your 9" the std width or narrowed?

#48 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

What rims/specs are those rims & is your 9" the std width or narrowed?

Diff is standard length and rear rims are 17x10's with 315/35/17's, not real sure of backspace, but can find out if you like. I've got around 3/4in clearance on the inside after i modified the inner guard and still a heap of room on the outside to the flare as you can see. I would have liked them to sit out a little bit further than they do, but will just have to see what it looks like when its all together. Definately shouldn't have any trouble with scrubbing the way it is now though.

Heres a couple of pics of how the rear flair was modified.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:18 PM

:spoton: thanks for the pics on the flairs mods. Thats exactly the info I was after in you did it.

#50 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:42 AM

Those flare mods are nice and neat! Good work mate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users