- - - - -

The SLR 6000 Project

• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#101 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

gee those rotisseries make life easy dont they, cant think of a better way to install a drop tank. :) Have you looked at the clearance you have or might not have for the tail pipes? Those drop tanks are fantastic in my book but then you have to work a way around them with the tail pipes.

Cheers
Herne

#102 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

Didn't take any notice to tell you the truth herne :blink: but it'll be pretty tight I reckon, trying to fit a 3" pipe either side of the tank :spoton:

#103 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

Didn't take any notice to tell you the truth herne :blink: but it'll be pretty tight I reckon, trying to fit a 3" pipe either side of the tank :spoton:

yeah mate I wish you luck :)

You might have to look at going under the diff. Not sure if that appeals to you or not.

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 23 April 2009 - 12:52 PM.

#104 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

In the past, to get dual 2.5" pipes past the tank and 265/60 tyres I had to relieve the rear bracket mounting the tank to the rail. 3" pipes will be interesting.

#105 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

Tank looks awesome! Might be a bit hard to fill upside down though, lol

#106 _Lxrana_

_Lxrana_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

Love reading this post. It's coming along very nicely. She'll be a stunner once she's finished, keep up the good work. :spoton:

#107 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

In the past, to get dual 2.5" pipes past the tank and 265/60 tyres I had to relieve the rear bracket mounting the tank to the rail. 3" pipes will be interesting.

Thanks howard, lol, you got me thinking, So got straight home from work out into the cold shed with a bit a 3 inch pipe. It is definately going to be interesting, It's going to be very tight, BUT, I reckon we can make it work, it'll have to pretty much hug the bottom corners of the tank and will have to run under the diff as Herne said. I want to see what it'd look like with the same style pipes beside the tank as the A9X's but 3" instead of the small A9X size.

#108 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:32 PM

I have a strap tank and twin 2.5"

Took 3 goes and it could still be better but it rarely touches.

It goes over the diff but does not use the factory hangers.

Just remember you need heat clearance and it will shake and shimmy with the engine movement.

#109 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

I use to have twin 3 inch over the diff with a drop tank, made it out of a lot of mandrel bends. Did not touch, but if idling for too long you could hear the fuel in the tank boiling away.

#110 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

If that ends up being a problem you could put in some heat gaurds but they look kind of ugly. I think that let coating exhaust stuff is meant to reduce temps pretty well

#111 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

Just get the rear sections ceramic (HPC, jethot etc) coated, would keep the heat away from the fuel tank.

Edited by orangeLJ, 24 April 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#112 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

I imagine going under the diff would reduce the heat somewhat with less severe bends

#113 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

Coming together nicely mate, well done.

#114 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

Going under the diff would help with heat but it would probably cause problems with clearance

#115 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

go up into the boot then out the back off the boot :tease: heaps of room in there LOL

#116 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

LOL!! The cops would love that!

It might be a bit late now, but i remember reading an artical on gray myers new xa coupe and he had reliefs cut in the floor for the exhausts

#117 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

go up into the boot then out the back off the boot :tease: heaps of room in there LOL

Good for winter driving too...

#118 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

And if the exhaust starts to leak you can have a love long sleep......

#119 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

Some great ideas there fellas :clap: As jeremy said "Lotsa room in the boot" And will help to keep the car warm as it's cold over here about 90% of the time.... Bonus!!!

Just get the rear sections ceramic (HPC, jethot etc) coated, would keep the heat away from the fuel tank.

Thats the plan as the extractors also need to be modifed before they go off to jet hot, so I though I may aswell get the rest done aswell, or even just teh tailpipes.

Going under the diff would help with heat but it would probably cause problems with clearance

Have seen a few cars with the pipes under the diff so can't be too bad, Dont think i'll have enough room over the diff as the car will sit pretty low and it is a lot of extra stuffing around with bends, ect. The main problem area for exhausts on low cars is the middle of the car when your going over speed humps, in driveways and stuff, thats why we made cutouts in the rear passanger floor for the exhuast to sit up a lot higher. Around the diff area shouldn't be too much of a problem, as the exhaust will sit around the same height as the bottom trailing arm mounts, sussed this out last night.

Or just dump it at the diff and be done with it, lol haha.

#120 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

Or just dump it at the diff and be done with it, lol haha.

Life would be much easier if they just let us dump it at the diff eh ;)

A mechanic once said to me Al your exhaust is illegal anyway (noise) so why not dump it at the diff and be done with it lol I think he has a point.

I will now put my halo back on straight so as not to disillusion any one ;)

Herne

#121 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

Mate your going to a lot of effort building this car, dont let the build down by runing the exhaust under the diff, it looks shit full stop and its noticeable.

It will be the sour point of your car and the first thing people pick on.

#122 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:03 PM

dont let the build down by runing the exhaust under the diff, it looks shit full stop and its noticeable.

Not necessarily, I've had another Torana enthusiast tell me (while looking at my car) that I should have run the exhaust under the diff rather than over because its possible to fit bigger diameter pipe. It was already under, tucked away nicely with no clearance issues.

#123 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

Not necessarily, I've had another Torana enthusiast tell me (while looking at my car) that I should have run the exhaust under the diff rather than over because its possible to fit bigger diameter pipe. It was already under, tucked away nicely with no clearance issues.

I agree, if someone is looking at the car with an intent to buy then the pipes can soon be changed to their liking. I dont think I would call them ugly running under the diff but if possible and at a fair cost I prefer them over. Mine are currently over but I drop from 2.5" down to 2" to do it. Not happy with that but its affordable :)

Herne

#124 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

Mine were twin threes inch that had to run under the diff, and it does look shit. I rekon. Over looks much better.

#125 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

Will just have to wait and see what we can do when we get to that stage, If it looks crap it wont be happening, we'll make something work.

Mounted the surge tank today in the boot after speaking to the engineer, All sweet having the battery and the surge tank in there together although on opposite side of the tank, all that is required is the battery to be in a box with a ventilation hose to the outside of the car. Also ordered the 1/2" fuel pipe to run underneath the car, going to run braided fuel line's in the engine bay and the boot.

Seen a very smick White and Black SLR5000 today in my travels, Nice and low, Big fats, Shiny Tank, Geez it was nice I near ran of the road looking at it, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users